Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

The problem with the TLJ it's lost it's magic, i understand where Rian Johnson is going to suit the younger audience however some of the movie was abit cheesy for a powerful leader to get killed by a light saber and knowing the force snoke should have known what kylo was doing, plus the scene had so many shout backs to the ROTJ for example seeing the rebels getting destroyed , where the light-saber was and also knowing that there still some good in kylo like anakin
My read on that scene was that Snoke was reading every single intention of Kylo's but Kylo was playing on that knowledge. Everything Snoke says is accurate but his arrogance has blinded him to the fact that Kylo is doing the same thing to both the saber he's holding but also the one on Snoke's throne. Thus, arrogance is Snoke's error - as it is with Sidious in RotJ and Kylo on Crait (sp?)

giphy.gif

That is hardly representative of the actual scene is it?

What upsets me most about Last Jedi is not the actual events so much, its that the movie itself doesn't actually go forward much at all. It's more like a detour, like Episode 7.5 rather than 8 but sadly there are massive consequences as a result of this little side trip.

The characters don't evolve, they could have, but nothing actually changes with them by the end. The Kylo Ren we're left with at the end of Last Jedi is the exact same Kylo Ren we get at the beginning of Force Awakens. Though he was interesting and the interactions between him and Snoke and Rey were fascinating, it all didn't go anywhere because once Snoke was dead he simply reverted back to being tamper-tantrum kid. This moment had the potential to be trilogy changing, it was setup perfectly for him and Rey to do something unique and never before seen in Star Wars... and what did Rian Johnson do? Kylo goes back to the beginning and Rey goes back to the beginning having not changed at all.

If you look carefully at The Last Jedi you'll find that Rian Johnson uses humour and visual spectacle to often hide moments were answers are needed and or expected. The lightsaber over the shoulder for example is a deflective moment because he's chickening out of actually writing a plot that JJ setup and fans expected answers for. Now this actually would have been fine if they had provided an alternative narrative to what's been happening, however they don't and all that remains is the director giving fans the middle finger and defecting responsibility in actually writing a coherent and interesting plot. But you know, the depressed retiree Luke is the way to go...

Has anyone read the interview with Rian Johnson about the big moments in the movie and fan backlash? It's jaw dropping stuff, but not in a good way. It's like he describes a completely different movie, like what he says completely contradicts what he actually did. I was utterly shocked.

The problem with the TLJ it's lost it's magic, i understand where Rian Johnson is going to suit the younger audience however some of the movie was abit cheesy for a powerful leader to get killed by a light saber and knowing the force snoke should have known what kylo was doing, plus the scene had so many shout backs to the ROTJ for example seeing the rebels getting destroyed , where the light-saber was and also knowing that there still some good in kylo like anakin
What upsets me most about Last Jedi is not the actual events so much, its that the movie itself doesn't actually go forward much at all. It's more like a detour, like Episode 7.5 rather than 8 but sadly there are massive consequences as a result of this little side trip.

The characters don't evolve, they could have, but nothing actually changes with them by the end. The Kylo Ren we're left with at the end of Last Jedi is the exact same Kylo Ren we get at the beginning of Force Awakens. Though he was interesting and the interactions between him and Snoke and Rey were fascinating, it all didn't go anywhere because once Snoke was dead he simply reverted back to being tamper-tantrum kid. This moment had the potential to be trilogy changing, it was setup perfectly for him and Rey to do something unique and never before seen in Star Wars... and what did Rian Johnson do? Kylo goes back to the beginning and Rey goes back to the beginning having not changed at all.

If you look carefully at The Last Jedi you'll find that Rian Johnson uses humour and visual spectacle to often hide moments were answers are needed and or expected. The lightsaber over the shoulder for example is a deflective moment because he's chickening out of actually writing a plot that JJ setup and fans expected answers for. Now this actually would have been fine if they had provided an alternative narrative to what's been happening, however they don't and all that remains is the director giving fans the middle finger and defecting responsibility in actually writing a coherent and interesting plot. But you know, the depressed retiree Luke is the way to go...

Has anyone read the interview with Rian Johnson about the big moments in the movie and fan backlash? It's jaw dropping stuff, but not in a good way. It's like he describes a completely different movie, like what he says completely contradicts what he actually did. I was utterly shocked.

Liiiiiiiiink?

Where is that I’m feeling masochistic enough to read it?

What the **** did I just watch?

2 and a half hours of wasted time. It was like 10x 15 minute "mini clips" stitched together rather than a cohesive movie.

Only only good part was

jumping the ship to litespeed to cut Snokes ship in half

Only only good part was

jumping the ship to litespeed to cut Snokes ship in half

I thought they shot themselves in the foot with that. X-wings can go to light speed,
why can't they just get a droid to pilot small craft straight in to the bridge of capital ships at light speed?

I'm fine with the principle of it working. You could argue that it had to be a ship of sufficient mass for it to work. I wish it had only damaged one ship rather than so many though.

I think it did only affect snokes ship.

The multiple ships you saw were all snokes ship, I think that was a visual effect to demonstrate what things look like in light speed

There was retarded ship stuff in the originals. An a wing takes out the executor, like you would build a ship that big and not have more than one way to control it if the bridge took a hit.

Or design an AT AT but not have a rear mounted canon like a b52. Look at the leg design the bloody thing can only move in a straight line!

Or the falcon whizzing past a star destroyer and the next shot it’s attached ready to float away with the rest of the garbage, that was about as believable as the gravity bomber :D

I can understand some of the gripes people have with the choices made here. I am sure at the end of ROTJ, you don't imagine Luke will have this crappy ending for the character. He was the hero of the universe for christ sake, how the hell did he end up alone on an island drinking milk from a dinosaur for breakfast? How the mighty have fallen!!!

But life isn't fair, the rest of the galaxy have fallen from the weight of the First Order so it seems fitting that our hero suffers the same. The great thing is for him to come back and save the day, in a way he kinda did? But people want him to come back, take over the movie and be the hero that he once was. The problem with that is this trilogy is about Rey, not Luke. Luke's time is over, his character is so big that a minute he has on screen overshadows everyone else and for the sake of just moving things along, he needs to be written out of the story.

The ideal way I think people would want is for Luke to die like Obi Wan did, but then again, no doubt people will complain about that too "That is just another copy of EP4!"

You can't win.

Sure, it seems weird and lame that he seems to have died from exhaustion but it sure was nice when he out smarted Ren and gave Leia time to escape.

Fin's plot, waste of time, I agree, what he did pretty much did not affect the outcome of the movie at all. Not one bit.

Didn't mind Leia playing superman, nor the jokes or Snoak getting killed. I didn't care for Snoak so getting rid of him don't bother me. He might be a powerful character but he appears now that he isn't an important character to the overall arc of the trilogy except that he was the leader.

I still enjoyed it and the moment when Rey and Ren fought in the red room was worth it. That moment was like "Oh yeah, let's kick ass!"

egh - i couldn't disagree more. The fight scenes were so childish and computer game-like that i though they were embarrassingly bad.

but hey, horses for courses i guess.
I think the darth maul fights were good - otherwise meh.

I think TLJ is easily the most violent of all the films though. I actually raised my eyebrows in the cinema and a big fan at work complained that he couldn’t show it to his kids! Just an observation, I’m not complaining myself.

I can understand some of the gripes people have with the choices made here. I am sure at the end of ROTJ, you don't imagine Luke will have this crappy ending for the character. He was the hero of the universe for christ sake, how the hell did he end up alone on an island drinking milk from a dinosaur for breakfast? How the mighty have fallen!!!

But life isn't fair, the rest of the galaxy have fallen from the weight of the First Order so it seems fitting that our hero suffers the same. The great thing is for him to come back and save the day, in a way he kinda did? But people want him to come back, take over the movie and be the hero that he once was. The problem with that is this trilogy is about Rey, not Luke. Luke's time is over, his character is so big that a minute he has on screen overshadows everyone else and for the sake of just moving things along, he needs to be written out of the story.

The ideal way I think people would want is for Luke to die like Obi Wan did, but then again, no doubt people will complain about that too "That is just another copy of EP4!"

You can't win.

Ray:
The issue with Ep9 is that seemingly the legs don't know what the head is doing. You said "this trilogy is about Rey, not Luke", that's not quite so - it was, at least in TFA, about Resistance searching for map to find Luke, Max Von Sydoff and his village died guarding map to Luke, Rey and Chewie spent entire Episode 7 trying to find Luke, the entirety of TFA was about how Luke is needed to save the galaxy. Then the next director comes along and throws it all away. He killed off the good guy, the bad guy, the core plot, the side plots, broke the canon several time and then dismissed Jedi using Yoda. Left us with nothing to look forward to - Star Wars to come is a handbag fight between staff tossing girl who discovered Force a week before and seriously mentally unstable hormonal baddie. For all the build up of new trilogy, this episode told us "you were wasting time waiting for Jedi to return and save the day". Well, you made us do it, you set us up for "find Luke" plot. Then Luke chucks light sabre behind his back and goes "I ain't doing jack es". And then they drag Yoda to tell us "Jedi you expected, stupid you must be". WTF? That's not a plot for SW trilogy, that's a plot for Robot Chicken SW Special episode.

Back
Top Bottom