Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Same here (not on Sat though, last Thursday), liked it. But a lot of it had issues, with regards to established stuff, which you can fudge (lore wise) sure. But you certainly need to explain it properly in the same movie (or game), which TLJ certainly doesn't do.

I get impression that we won't get all the answers in the next film, but disney shall make cartoon series to explain certain parts, like how Maz had the light sabre etc.

I get impression that we won't get all the answers in the next film, but disney shall make cartoon series to explain certain parts, like how Maz had the light sabre etc.

Many things can be expanded out in other media or films and certainly welcome too (I too want to see what happened on screen or comic or book what happened to that lightsabre), but certain things is just brought up out of the blue and isn't well defined or explained within the movie itself. And just leaves it to peoples head cannon to solve it.

It's great when it really provokes discussion in the direction you (the writer) want it to. But the director/writer and Disney don't seem to have a vision other than milking the franchise at the moment. Therefore it left viewers with split ideas over what happened and then it comes to what we have now (with some viewers "apparently" being the vocal "minority"). That's all because of a badly done story.

Just keeps reminding me of the pathetic response that Bioware took and dug their heels in over the ending of ME3. And I feel sad over how this (Star Wars) could potentially end up when it can easily be handled right now. :(

TFA was basically a retelling of A New Hope. People complained they wanted something new and different and movies and filmmaking have moved on. TLJ is something new and different and not like previous Star Wars films. People complain that it's not like a Star Wars film and are upset by this.

I never complained about TFA being too much like A New Hope. Must be those "Vocal Minorities" again... :p

Seriously though. Having Star Wars different is fine. But when the story is badly pieced together and lacking things that make things "click" and connect everything in the film. Disney could have bought anyone in to make the movie then. And because it's Star Wars, it'll auto make money anyway.

The matter is not because it's not like a Star Wars film (What's a Star Wars film anyway?). The matter is it's a badly done film. Are there good parts? Sure (I can count plenty of things inside the film that were great). But there were issues (and I can count loads for this too). And the people pointing out these issues are being told to shut up about the flaws and that their issues and concerns don't matter. And all that's going to do is incense the "minority" even more.

Many things can be expanded out in other media or films and certainly welcome too (I too want to see what happened on screen or comic or book what happened to that lightsabre), but certain things is just brought up out of the blue and isn't well defined or explained within the movie itself. And just leaves it to peoples head cannon to solve it.

It's great when it really provokes discussion in the direction you (the writer) want it to. But the director/writer and Disney don't seem to have a vision other than milking the franchise at the moment. Therefore it left viewers with split ideas over what happened and then it comes to what we have now (with some viewers "apparently" being the vocal "minority"). That's all because of a badly done story.

Just keeps reminding me of the pathetic response that Bioware took and dug their heels in over the ending of ME3. And I feel sad over how this (Star Wars) could potentially end up when it can easily be handled right now. :(

100% agree

TFA was basically a retelling of A New Hope. People complained they wanted something new and different and movies and filmmaking have moved on. TLJ is something new and different and not like previous Star Wars films. People complain that it's not like a Star Wars film and are upset by this.

TLJ is not original either. The significant majority of the scenes are either direct copies from Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

Of course it's a "shouty minority". Have you seen what the film took in the opening weekend alone? That alone tells you just how many people went to see it - it is very much a minority who are moaning.

*Edit*
Even if the average cinema goer paid $25 (or same in local money) to see the film, that means 18m people saw it over the opening weekend.
Sorry, I am not seeing that kind of number of "upset" people.

This post is impressively dumb. I was there on the opening day, ready to love it, paying full price.

I hated it because it had so many flaws. But don't worry - I won't be there for episode 9, at all.

I think the problem with the TLJ is that there now seems to be no over-riding vision of what this trilogy's arc is going to be.

Disney are going to have problems if they let every director come back and just chuck away whatever they like. It will make the films disjointed and almost not related to each other.

Thats what I took away from the Rian Johnson interview posted above. I thought there was a 3 story arc set-out by Disney and then each director could play around with their film as long as the arc was unaffected yet Rian says he doesn't know what JJ Abrams will do with Luke in Ep9 so that tells me the directors don't talk to each other about storylines and that there is no overall arc controlled by Disney, as each director seems to have complete carte-blanche to make an individual film, which may effect others in unknown ways.

So overall we'll get Ep 7 and Ep9 done by the same director which will very probably feel linked in tone etc and Ep8 by Rian which, to me, feels too "stand-alone" to be part of the trilogy.

Well they aren't really.

Yes, there are undeniable similarities between TLJ and TESB

I'll eagerly await that masterpiece then.

I'll do that for you
Last Jedi is basically Empire Strikes Back, back to front,

it starts with act III - inexperienced force user arrives at Jedi Master's solitude hideout, trying to get training, Jedi Master is hesitant and philosophical, place and his home is weird. Eventually our Force user gets minimal, basic training in lifting things and sensing things and ventures into cave/hole of a dark side as a warning against misuse of the Force. With training unfinished, due to internal "feelings" our inexperienced Force user decides to go and face the villain, despite Jedi Master warning it is a bad idea, Force user leaves anyway, faces the villain where things don't go according to plan - their lineage is revealed and an offer of ruling galaxy together with the villain is put on a table.

it continues on with act II - sidekicks go to remote place to find help. Instead they are led into trap and get betrayed by their alleged saviour.

it ends with act I - remnants of Resistance are located and attacked in their ill equipped hideout on a white planet by massive enemy forces led by a dark Force leader in black using all terrain vehicles, Resistance try to mount defence using antiquated equipment but get torn to shreds, small group escapes incl. Millennium Falcon.

Anything in between either mirrors TESB filler - Luke was in bacta tank, Finn was in bacta burrito, R2 saves the day, BB8 saves the day, Empire introduced Dreadnought, FO introduced Dreadnought, Jedi Master gets visited by another ghostly Jedi Master to ponder upon future of Jedi, "I love you/I know" vs "saving things we love" reveal, light sabre is lost, the very same light sabre is lost etc etc, or is borrowed from RoTJ - imperial chamber, pretorian guards in red, emperor/snoke, ewoks/porgs etc.

Last edited:
I'll do that for you

it starts with act III - inexperienced force user arrives at Jedi Master's solitude hideout, trying to get training, Jedi Master is hesitant and philosophical, place and his home is weird. Eventually our Force user gets minimal, basic training in lifting things and sensing things and ventures into cave/hole of a dark side as a warning against misuse of the Force. With training unfinished, due to internal "feelings" our inexperienced Force user decides to go and face the villain, despite Jedi Master warning it is a bad idea, Force user leaves anyway, faces the villain where things don't go according to plan - their lineage is revealed and an offer of ruling galaxy together with the villain is put on a table.

it continues on with act II - sidekicks go to remote place to find help. Instead they are led into trap and get betrayed by their alleged saviour.

it ends with act I - remnants of Resistance are located and attacked in their ill equipped hideout on a white planet by massive enemy forces led by a dark Force leader in black using all terrain vehicles, Resistance try to mount defence using antiquated equipment but get torn to shreds, small group escapes incl. Millennium Falcon.

Anything in between either mirrors TESB filler - Luke was in bacta tank, Finn was in bacta burrito, R2 saves the day, BB8 saves the day, Empire introduced Dreadnought, FO introduced Dreadnought, Jedi Master gets visited by another ghostly Jedi Master to ponder upon future of Jedi, "I love you/I know" vs "saving things we love" reveal, light sabre is lost, the very same light sabre is lost etc etc, or is borrowed from RoTJ - imperial chamber, pretorian guards in red, emperor/snoke, ewoks/porgs etc.

GG.

Yeah - infecting star Wars with her feminist ideals

Just look at all the female talent she's hired:
JJ Abrams
Gareth Edwards
Rian Johnson
Lord and Miller
Ron Howard

Makes me sick.....

I'll do that for you

Very large difference between at a high level claiming things are similar to saying most of the film is an exact copy. When you're saying stuff like "they go somewhere and get betrayed" shock horror you could do that with a lot of films. For example Iron Man and Robocop are identical films because both have guys in armoured suits.

Very large difference between at a high level claiming things are similar to saying most of the film is an exact copy. When you're saying stuff like "they go somewhere and get betrayed" shock horror you could do that with a lot of films. For example Iron Man and Robocop are identical films because both have guys in armoured suits.

Yes, they made it "busy", flickery, modern. But the storyline is recycled. Tell the story to yourself and you will realise that you know it by heart. Or at least most of us, know it by heart. Not only storyline, there are shots and sets which are mirrored between TLJ and TESB, you can see them even in trailers. It's not coincidence that you see ATAT's on "snow" again, it's not a coincidence that you see "rebels" docking in trenches again. It's not coincidence that Snoke is old and disfigured and his pretorians are red. It's not coincidence that Rey wears the same desert colours as Luke and her garments feature the same footwraps and kimono cut. It's painting by numbers. They follow storylines and visual clues, it's not accidental, it's a soft reboot direction that TFA started and TLJ continues, as a general idea. Don't fall for the whole "directors were given free reign of the script" and "didn't talk to each other". It is just a PR schtick. If directors didn't follow strict studio directions and previous episodes they wouldn't know what to do with half the cast back to back. The idea was to reignite Star Wars for new generations using already proven template without getting old farts upset.

We won't be able to convince you now, but wait when digital media is finally available - they'll make tons of youtube side by side edits of mirrored scenes just like they did for TFA.

Back
Top Bottom