Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Upon third viewing (yes, I am still giving this pileup a benefit of a doubt) I still find amazing that it is the only Star Wars movie where you can remove entire supporting cast plot, to be its own "Star Wars story" movie, and not affect main cast plot at all. To the point where I think they should try it upon bluray release - parallel viewing angles - select angle A - get Luke, Rey and Kylo, select angle B - get Finn, Rose and Poe, with the only crossover points being Leia, Holdo and a single hug.
There’s a bit where

Rey is introduced to Poe - hang on did they never meet at all in the first one? Also makes it clear they’ll be ****ing by the end since Finn seems to be making do with Rose

2nd worst one for me.

Ever been been to a Star Wars / Comic Convention or even general meet?

This describes 90%+ of the hardcore fan base.

Luckily the other 99.9% of the population are more rational....

I'm often confused by stances like that.

I'm confused because if you're not a SW fan base, then why are you even here, in this thread questioning our rationality, seems odd, masochistic, counterproductive, like going to a football pub to tell the cheering drunks how their beloved game is rubbish. Or are you just using internet forums instead of self harm?

I'm also confused because all the hardcore fans are postulating is less plot holes, less stupid ideas, less bad writing, so they are effectively fighting to keep SW's awesomeness levels on 11, on "legendary". And that should also benefit you, as a viewer, even undemanding viewer. So, WTF would you run around a thread like this and whack forumites down with your ad hoc stick in a beehive comments.

If you ignore the SW universe and judge the film on individual merits I would rate this movie as being worse than the Chronicles of Riddick. Anyone disagree?

Ever been been to a Star Wars / Comic Convention or even general meet?

This describes 90%+ of the hardcore fan base.

Luckily the other 99.9% of the population are more rational....
Honestly, I thought the film was an attractive turd.
Stuff like "the worst film I've ever seen" or worse than TPM is pushing it though.

Heard it on the Kermode and Mayo show which I think is off reddit.

This is Star Wars fans in a nutshell. :D

"To help JJ plan the next film here is the the perfect formula.

Make it the same as the original trilogy, but also make it different. But don’t change anything, make sure to include surprises but not surprises we don’t want, in fact, avoid surprises but don’t rehash anything, also don’t try something new because we won’t like that. Make sure we do justice to the cast but we don’t say how. Make sure we get it right. I want it exactly the way I want it but just a bit different, also the same. Make sure we know the backstory to all the characters, even the incidental ones because we are all speculating and you better be reading my mind but leave it mysterious at the same time. No CGI, keep it practical. Make sure to expand the universe like the Prequel did, you know, using CGI. Also don’t do anything the Prequels did, or the Force Awakens, or the original Trilogy but make it like those films too. Give it some humour but don’t make it too funny. Show us some new force powers but not the ones we haven’t seen before because new powers are ridiculous. Don’t kill anyone, it betrays my childhood but also make it unpredictable by killing off a few characters.

Clear? Good."

Last edited:
That is pretty funny @Raymond Lin but I don’t think I’ve seen anything fans saying they wanted everything the same. In fact aren’t fans criticising this film and TFA for copying the plot beats of the original trilogy?

Been reading some amusing articles from Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, the Independent, etc., etc. telling me I’m racist, misogynist, part of ‘the dark side’ and so forth for not enjoying films with incoherent plots, shoddy scripting and acting amongst other issues.

That is pretty funny @Raymond Lin but I don’t think I’ve seen anything fans saying they wanted everything the same. In fact aren’t fans criticising this film and TFA for copying the plot beats of the original trilogy?

Been reading some amusing articles from Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, the Independent, etc., etc. telling me I’m racist, misogynist, part of ‘the dark side’ and so forth for not enjoying films with incoherent plots, shoddy scripting and acting amongst other issues.

It's funny coz it's true :D

Looks like this is taking a bit of a hit on the BO compared to Force Awakens. I'm glad, maybe they'll have a better script next time!!! Really was a little all over the place, esp considering the looooooong runtime (felt like 3+ hrs)

Just watched this review and it does show up a lot of issues

Warning swearing in the clip

Haha that is hilarious :D Couldn’t stop giggling.

Humour aside, many of his criticisms are based on his own assumptions and others are overzealous. Many others are valid.

Valid criticisms:
Phasma being pointless / boring. The scene in which she died was a mush mash.
Snoke not being fleshed out - although I wasn’t that invested in him so wasn’t fussed.
The funniest one - why didn’t the ‘empire’ get other ships to light speed ahead to catch the rebel ships... you can hypothesise explanations but on face value that is pretty silly ><
The bombers being terrible - I was lolling at them ‘dropping bombs’ in space in the cinema.

Haha that is hilarious :D Couldn’t stop giggling.

Humour aside, many of his criticisms are based on his own assumptions and others are overzealous. Many others are valid.

Valid criticisms:
Phasma being pointless / boring. The scene in which she died was a mush mash.
Snoke not being fleshed out - although I wasn’t that invested in him so wasn’t fussed.
The funniest one - why didn’t the ‘empire’ get other ships to light speed ahead to catch the rebel ships... you can hypothesise explanations but on face value that is pretty silly ><
The bombers being terrible - I was lolling at them ‘dropping bombs’ in space in the cinema.
The whole universe seems to he based around non-Newtonian physics. When the ships ran out of fuel was ridiculous for example.

Valid criticisms:

Not only dropping bombs, but with the loading bay open and pilot just resting on one of the support grids, as if not only dreadnaught had its own gravity but vacuum of space no longer existed around it. Happened twice, second time when Leia decided to do superman run to docking bay, then opened the door, plenty of "air temperature changed" clouds of vapour but none of the people running to her rescue got sucked out through open hatch, camera quickly cuts to next scene.. There is literally no proof reading of any kind done on those scripts.

Not only dropping bombs, but with the loading bay open and pilot just resting on one of the support grids, as if not only dreadnaught had its own gravity but vacuum of space no longer existed around it. Happened twice, second time when Leia decided to do superman run to docking bay, then opened the door, plenty of "air temperature changed" clouds of vapour but none of the people running to her rescue got sucked out through open hatch, camera quickly cuts to next scene.. There is literally no proof reading of any kind done on those scripts.

on the bomber same forcefield tech as used on the death Star etc landing bays in every movie, obviously doesn't explain the Leia part, but even as someone who enjoyed the film I can explain that away :D

Back
Top Bottom