Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

The ability to still turnover good box office figures and its position in the charts is often a good way to judge if a film is liked, because it "has legs" which can often mean good word of mouth and repeat viewings.

Look at the performance of Justice League - worse box office than any of the other DCEU movies, including Man of Steel.
Is it, though? I prefer to look at the delta between week 1 and 2.

Usually a big film has consistently good opening weeks with a gradual drop off. The devisive films jump around sporadically and the box office hype-bombs sink like a stone after a week (Justice League iirc).

Not looked at TLJ but I wouldn’t bet against it dropping sharply as user reviews have been very mixed. Critics seem to love it, though.

All I wanted from Episode VIII (the middle movie of a trilogy) was to develop plot points from the previous movie and take it somewhere new for the future. It didn't do that, in fact, it did the exact opposite. There's now no momentum going forward, no mystery or plot to discover, no sense of raised stakes for the last episode and it managed to kill off the two most important cogs of the new trilogy (Luke and Snoke) without their deaths being relevant development stepping stones for the new cast. Context, character exploration and depth, plot arcs which obey universal franchise rules... all no longer necessary apparently. And yet, this is just what Star Wars needs according to the majority of professional critics...

I was in shock for like two weeks after seeing the movie and it gets worse the more you stand back and look over it objectively. How this script got through Lucasfilm and Disney quality control is beyond me, so much so I believe it's done on purpose. I believe they want to dismantle the franchise and use the same model they have with Marvel movies, it's the only explanation I have. Regardless if I don't see anything from Disney or JJ Abrams recognising that they got it wrong and are making amends to try and recapture a relevant and interesting plot going into IX, then I'm done.

I remember the time my oldest friend died and someone who knew him brought me one of my oldest most treasured belonging that had massive resonance with the time I first met my oldest friend and I didn’t ask how he died or how this person knew him I just threw away my old belonging out of misplaced spite. How the hell did this emotion blind piece of crap make it into the film?

I remember the time my oldest friend died and someone who knew him brought me one of my oldest most treasured belonging that had massive resonance with the time I first met my oldest friend and I didn’t ask how he died or how this person knew him I just threw away my old belonging out of misplaced spite. How the hell did this emotion blind piece of crap make it into the film?
Eh?

I can't believe people have taken the Rey's parents thing at face value. Who said it - a Sith. The Sith being well renowned for always telling the truth.

I can't believe people have taken the Rey's parents thing at face value. Who said it - a Sith. The Sith being well renowned for always telling the truth.

Why is Rey's parentage important to you? In TFA all you see is a childhood memory of a ship taking off, having abandoned A SMALL CHILD on a horrible planet with a dodgy junk trader, and then a few mentions that she is "waiting for them"

In what sense were those people ever going to turn out be great parents? That particular plot point makes perfect sense as far as I'm concerned.

If we believe that Anakin was an immaculate conception (erggh) then why can't Rey have force powers despite being the daughter of some nobodys who sold their own daughter to drink/gamble?

If I recall correctly, He didn't know Han died until Chewie burst through his door
He'd 'cut himself off from the force' so no he didn't know.

Why is Rey's parentage important to you? In TFA all you see is a childhood memory of a ship taking off, having abandoned A SMALL CHILD on a horrible planet with a dodgy junk trader, and then a few mentions that she is "waiting for them"

In what sense were those people ever going to turn out be great parents? That particular plot point makes perfect sense as far as I'm concerned.

If we believe that Anakin was an immaculate conception (erggh) then why can't Rey have force powers despite being the daughter of some nobodys who sold their own daughter to drink/gamble?
I agree, Reys parents really shouldn't be important in relation to her having strong force abilities. It isn't a concern about any other Jedi (apart from Luke) as Jedi don't have children. Yoda, Obi wans etc parents were most likely nobodies in in terms of the force.

Why is Rey's parentage important to you?

Because among one of the oldest discussions after TFA is that of Rey's level of Force wielding. She can regularly beat trained Jedi-turned-Sith to submission, in both telekinesis, mind penetration and duelling on a first outing with a light sabre. So naturally for many SW fans the only explanation why this girl rose to "level 16 Palladin" with "over 9000" XP in all five minutes from embarking on this adventure (vs for example Anakin's decades of training and he was already considered to be "too old to train") was that she was of long established Jedi blood, trained to that incredible level as a child and then hidden on Jakku and conditioned/wiped for her own safety. That's why there is a long discussion, is she Kenobi, is she Skywalker, is she Palpatine etc... Now that she's nobody that plot hole is just a plot hole - she is of Marysue's.

The people that trained the first Jedi were a different order, the followers of Ashla, so it's kind of millennia and millennia of trial and error I suppose?

If it's not in the movies, it's not canon as the old extended universe stuff was thrown out of the window.

That's it...@PlacidCasual clearly didn't pay attention.
I'm suppressing traumatic memories. :p.
It's amazing how I forgot the whole scene where Luke shows his deep emotions upon being told of the death of his oldest friend shortly after he'd been given his Dad's light sabre back (originally given him by his dead mentor and last seen when he had his hand chopped off as Darth Vader revealed himself as his dad).

did they just turn a galaxy wide conflict in to a 18 hour chase, in which the first order/empire could not call in other smaller/ships faster ships?
(cant be any left first order/empire ships left and they are over then! that was easy!)

if that lady was a rear admiral why was she not in uniform? did she break a nail putting it on?
If she was such a good leader why did the troops not have confidence in her?
the rebels cant have that many admirals!
oh and RIP Admiral Ackbar!
How do you keep evacuation quite on a ship?

why not ram with medical ship if you where going to lose it anyway? not heroic enough?
Why did you need Death Star / Star Killer base if you can hit small things, like planets and ships, not just stars by dropping on them at light speed ?

Anyone else read
I believe it's done on purpose. I believe they want to dismantle the franchise and use the same model they have with Marvel movies, it's the only explanation I have.

Yep this is exactly my thinking. Instead of building to a climax they are now dismantling the "Skywalker" story to ensure the franchise is as ambiguous and open as possible to allow for a huge number of offshoots.

This is mental in my opinion. The Skywalker thread should have been completed in the way everyone expected it would be. Then in Episode 9 they could have left a cliffhanger to the wider franchise that Disney wants to create.

I must have watched over a dozen YouTube videos of Star Wars fans breaking The Last Jedi down, all absolutely gutted at what has happened. I am kind of addicted to watching them because although the film is garbage it re-enforces my love for the original trilogy knowing other people feel the same way about it.

One day when CGI gets really good and the technology is there, maybe someone will make an animated alternative trilogy.

For now the Audiobooks are what happens after Return of the Jedi in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom