Stealing drinks out of the works fridge

Soldato
There's a woman who does this with food at my place and she doesn't give one solitary poo about it. She will just eat people's food and laugh about it when confronted. She came in to the office with my chicken caesar wrap once that was IN A BAG in the fridge. Had to get it off her.

Helps that she's a directors wife in a family business. That's only the start of it, to be honest, knowing you're untouchable will exaggerate someones bad traits.

Man of Honour
There's a woman who does this with food at my place and she doesn't give one solitary poo about it. She will just eat people's food and laugh about it when confronted. She came in to the office with my chicken caesar wrap once that was IN A BAG in the fridge. Had to get it off her.

Helps that she's a directors wife in a family business. That's only the start of it, to be honest, knowing you're untouchable will exaggerate someones bad traits.

If she doesn’t give a poo, then the words **** sandwich spring to mind.

Caporegime
"Annoy"

The intent you are doing it with is to annoy which is covered.

It's not used in food to annoy

It requires more than intent though, the jury has to decide whether they consider adding food products to a drink to be noxious and an offence against the person.

Your diazepam wpuld 100% be intent to injure though. You could very easily kill somone doing that as they drive home under the influence.

Which would be a perfectly foreseeable outcome, or in the ops case the guy has a horrific injury in the workshop because some tit drugged him

That's just it though, if someone regularly consumes their medication in a drink as I have done when I was unable to swallow properly, there is no intent thus no offence committed.

The question is can you convince a jury beyond reasonable doubt that there was an intent to harm, rather than just an accident?

Like I say I've never witnessed anyone being convicted for putting their regular medication in their food/drink. I'd be interested to see if there any such cases.

Caporegime
I'd assume there quite possibly aren't any cases, both for the reason that there is a sort of plausible excuse for it and also that the effects on someone of putting in laxatives or some other regular medication where this has been inadvertently consumed by someone have perhaps been rather mild in comparison to the full on poisoning incidents where people have died or had to receive hospital treatment. You might well find that the lunch thief doesn't realise that they've even been had but assumes they've just picked up a bug or something.

Caporegime

Order in a replacement lunch and submit a claim for expenses every time it happens, the accounts person will no doubt need to ask questions to their boss who indeed might well flag up why it is happening etc.. directors wife or not, that sort of thing is embarrassing and he (you'd at least hope) would want to get her under control. If not then get yourself a more expensive lunch each time it happens and claim for it from the company.

Technically you could actually call the police over something like this but it would perhaps be a bit overkill to say the least. I have heard of a case going to court involving guy who stole a pork pie the guy was apparently a regular lunch stealing offender too and the pork pie was the last straw for his co-worker.

Caporegime
It requires more than intent though, the jury has to decide whether they consider adding food products to a drink to be noxious and an offence against the person.

That's just it though, if someone regularly consumes their medication in a drink as I have done when I was unable to swallow properly, there is no intent thus no offence committed.

The question is can you convince a jury beyond reasonable doubt that there was an intent to harm, rather than just an accident?

Like I say I've never witnessed anyone being convicted for putting their regular medication in their food/drink. I'd be interested to see if there any such cases.

Negligence? putting drugs in a common works fridge (especially add thid point you will have undoubtly bitches about somone stealing your drink) is not going to be a good defence. It's obvious a mistake could happen.

It's going to take a very short search of the old history for example to prove beyond reasonable doubt anything he put in his drink was intentional poisoning.

Caporegime
Negligence? putting drugs in a common works fridge (especially add thid point you will have undoubtly bitches about somone stealing your drink) is not going to be a good defence. It's obvious a mistake could happen.

It's going to take a very short search of the old history for example to prove beyond reasonable doubt anything he put in his drink was intentional poisoning.

Negligent it may be, but that falls short of the mens rea of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861.

If we are talking about intentional poisoning, then as you say there may be obvious history, but in a case where it is a genuine accident it does not appear to be criminal.

Caporegime
Is it really deliberately poisoning someone if for example 'Mark' drinks something in a container that is not his and in a container clearly marked with 'Barry'?

Not that I really condone such a thing.

They'd care when there's an employment tribunal. It's workplace bullying.

Soldato
Contract a health condition that requires the use of laxetives.
Inform your manager that you need to add said supplements to your sandwiches or whatever. And that they will be in sealed labeled containers in the fridge.

Then the thieving gannet will be be playing Russian roulette if they want to take a bite and you'll be in the clear if there happened to be a higher than normal dose and they were to have a catastrophic toilet incident.

Soldato
Not drink obviously but I watched someone take my butter out of a carrier bag and started to use it.

We were encouraged to mark our food to avoid arguments so it had my name in marker and was wrapped up in a carrier bag.

I asked her what she thought she was doing and she tried to deflect by saying she had asked whether it was anyone’s who was stood around. I ended up telling her she could use it and she only had to ask.

A Colleague friend who was there and knew her talked to me about it later and basically apologised on her behalf.

I didn’t mention it again but it didn’t happen again.

I used to use the odd splash of milk for a brew from a company we shared a kitchen with when desperate so I guess I have no room to talk.

Caporegime
Shaking the bottle/can a LOT is probably the best/safest option if you want to avoid any repercussions. You have plausible deniability then as well :p

Suspended
A guy I worked with on n/shift brought in 1.5 l bottles of coke to drink during the night and kept it in the fridge.A few times he thought it was being drank by the d/shift too so one night he marked the level before leaving in the morning.Come night time he starts his shift and checks the bottle.Sure enough the level is well below the mark he left.So that night he peed in the bottle and marked it again and put it back in the fridge.Next night the level was way down past the mark again :confused:
That morning he waited for the day shift to appear in the canteen,brought the bottle out of the fridge and said I hope whoever was drinking the coke enjoyed it as i peed in the bottle the other night :eek:

Associate
Ha ha. You should see the farcical milk situation in our office. 5 companies on my floor have milk delivered, don’t label their own stuff and there’s one ********** who won’t use milk unless it’s a fresh bottle. Yesterday I counted 8 open pints, all of which were at various stages of the cheese process. I’m glad I just drink water.

Soldato
A guy I worked with on n/shift brought in 1.5 l bottles of coke to drink during the night and kept it in the fridge.A few times he thought it was being drank by the d/shift too so one night he marked the level before leaving in the morning.Come night time he starts his shift and checks the bottle.Sure enough the level is well below the mark he left.So that night he peed in the bottle and marked it again and put it back in the fridge.Next night the level was way down past the mark again :confused:
That morning he waited for the day shift to appear in the canteen,brought the bottle out of the fridge and said I hope whoever was drinking the coke enjoyed it as i peed in the bottle the other night :eek:

Amatuer, the correct response is to continue peeing in it and topping it up to the original line. See how long it takes before people notice a) this bottle of coke seems to be magically refilling itself, or b) this fizzy beverage appears to have taken on the look and flavour of human ****. If they don't notice then just slap an apple tango label on the bottle and keep going.

Back
Top Bottom