Steam link gaming thread.

Soldato
Most of you are saying how good it is, but how many NON Steam games have you actually tested on 1440p-4k PC monitors -> TV

I have a 1440p ultra wide monitor, Witcher 3 GOG version works flawlessly, Fallout 3 original disk version works perfectly, Minecraft works but not with the controller/split-screen mod. Not tried any other non-steam games yet

Can also confirm it supports at least 5 controllers - had my brothers over last weekend, had my 2 ps3 controllers connected natively and he brought 3 Xbox 360 controllers which connected easily via the wireless receiver

Soldato
Anyone else having an issue where Steam will restart when trying to start a game? The game will start on the PC but Steam will restart messing everything up. Happens a couple of times then seems to work normally after that. On a fast wired connection using a DS4 controller so not sure what the issue could be.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm having slight issue where I can't see my mouse cursor in game when using steam link. So in both Motorsport manager and civ 6 I have no idea where I'm pointing.

Any ideas? I am using through WiFi currently.

Soldato
So via wifi:
Network loss: 0% network time: 6.05ms variance: 1.82ms

Would prefer a lower network time but will see how it goes.

Need a new GPU first to test properly though :D

Works with ps4 controller seamlessly although can't find a setting ingame(rocket league) to change thumbstick sensitivity? I'm guessing this is game specific even so seems odd.

Also didn't know you can come out of steam and view windows, nice surprise ;)

I ordered the Link/controller bundle yesterday...any ideas how long they take to turn up usually?
Anywhere from 4 days to a couple weeks as via steam it's despatched from USA.

I bought just the link from game ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just thought I'd throw my hat in given that I do most of my gaming on the Steam Link these days.

- Four Xbox360 wired controllers work fine, I even had a mix of 2xwired and 2xwireless working for gaming nights with friends.

- I've found the Dualshock4 controller much better than the Steam Controller for a multitude of games due to the fact that it has a right stick *and* a gyro.

- Steam controller is still good for playing strategy/sim games. The DS4 has a trackpad but it's placed too awkwardly to be of much use in my current experience.

- I found that powerline adapters can be hit and miss. Wireshark captures were horrifying. 2.4GHz wireless is awful latency wise too.

- 5GHz wireless works great for streaming as long as you don't have other strong WiFi signals nearby. I run Link - wired - router - wireless - PC and it's almost as good as wired (the small amount of lag can mess up your accuracy with twitch aim and firing, though). Make sure the Link is the only device on 5GHz whilst in use if you don't want annoying glitches.

- I had some issues getting 5.1 audio to work. Make sure you're connecting the Link into your amp as Steam Link uses 6 channel PCM which can't be passed through HDMI control protocol apparently. Also ensure your speaker setup is configured as 5.1 in windows and that you have the SPDIF passthrough device enabled in playback devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is your network time like on wireless? Would you say 6ms is bad? I'm not playing many FPS games these days (and probably not on link anyway) so hopefully not.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm having slight issue where I can't see my mouse cursor in game when using steam link. So in both Motorsport manager and civ 6 I have no idea where I'm pointing.

Sorry but has anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it?

Soldato
What is your network time like on wireless? Would you say 6ms is bad? I'm not playing many FPS games these days (and probably not on link anyway) so hopefully not.

This will vary based upon your adapter and local conditions. I get <1ms on 5GHz consistently, but this can vary wildly according to chipset. The TP-Link Archer chipset adapters tend to be very good latency wise.

I've got another Wireless dongle and that pushes me up to about 8ms or so so don't use it.

Associate
Hi all,

Just in case anyone else has the same problem it was solved by buying another mouse. It appears I need one plugged into my PC and steam link for mouse to work in game.

Soldato
Are there people who are happy with the Steam Link? I'm thinking of getting it for playing stuff like Lego games with my kids.

Yep love mine and myself and 4 year old have been happily playing Lego Jurassic World on it (which is actually pretty damn good lol).

Also someone asked before about 3rd party pads working or not...

We use an official 360 and 3rd party 360 pad without any issues.

Associate
I have trouble with games that have another screen to click on after I start the (like Rust's option screen, Batman Arkham City options screen or GTA'5 social club) and I have yet to get Origin's games working (don't own bf1)

Any ideas?

Had this since launch and the improvements have been fantastic
Still hate the controller though!

Soldato
I have trouble with games that have another screen to click on after I start the (like Rust's option screen, Batman Arkham City options screen or GTA'5 social club) and I have yet to get Origin's games working (don't own bf1)

Any ideas?

Use a PS4 controller, it has a trackpad on the top that works as a mouse, it allows the screen click.

Back
Top Bottom