Steam link gaming thread.

Soldato
Received mine today and was impressed with how everything worked straight away including connecting a wired Playstation 3 pad.

There was 2x Steam games out of about 15 that I tried that would not work. I also tried adding a few Non Steam games into Steam and these were hit and miss on whether they worked or not. For example I tried Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 that are Origin based and Witcher 3 from GOG all of these had Sound but no image. Various other games worked flawlessly.

Are there certain games that are just incompatible or are there Steam settings / game resolution settings that need playing around with?

My PC monitor is 1440P with all games being set to this resolution and my TV is 1080P but most displayed fine.

It could possibly be due to the game trying to run at the monitors native res. Maybe start the games at you pc, knock the res down to 1080p and try it through the link again. I know Witcher 3 and other non steam games I've tried have all worked fine but i'm still on a peasant 1080p monitor :D

Soldato
rocket league!

I found RL passable on Link, but there was a tiny delay compared to PC.

I have PC > wireless > Router > cable > Link

Not sure if having cable and wired other way would improve things. Definitely fine for lego games as it is anyhow. May try tomb raider and skyrim via it too

Associate
Mine arrived this morning. Playing over wifi is a shambles so i picked up a tp link powerline 600 and it performed perfectly...well until everything froze on the tv downstairs. Seems fantastic, need to test more tomorrow.

Permabanned
Most of you are saying how good it is, but how many NON Steam games have you actually tested on 1440p-4k PC monitors -> TV

Well as it a Steam Link would expect to have few issue with none steam games, as then it would be a Game link and not a Steam link.

Mind arrived yesterday had a quick look connected flawlessly tested one game (keyboard mouse) seem to be very smooth.

I have Xbone 1 which dongle should I buy, though TBH would also like to set up wireless mouse and keyboard.

Caporegime
will give that a go.

Neil - mine is working well.

Have you turned off your VPN?

It was off, I'm sure it was... Will need to retest this week.

I was playing Sonic and every so often I'd get an extreme slow down/lag and back to normal. Not sure if playing with a controller made a difference. Couldn't understand how Doom was so much better and perfectly smooth.

Soldato
I got one of these when they were on sale a month or so ago. I haven't connected it to the TV yet, but I hate the controller. Can anyone advise me what it's good for over an XBOX1 controller as it's sat gathering dust at the moment and I feel i've wasted money here.

Caporegime
OP
I got one of these when they were on sale a month or so ago. I haven't connected it to the TV yet, but I hate the controller. Can anyone advise me what it's good for over an XBOX1 controller as it's sat gathering dust at the moment and I feel i've wasted money here.

Im using a PS3 controller....I think the selling point is gyro isn't it ?

Soldato
Got mine today and for £15.99 this is an absolute steal. Games are running perfectly on my wired connect with the only issue being I have to switch the game to 1080p to get it to fit the screen properly but it's a minor complaint. PS4 controller is spot on too.

Associate
i struggle with origin games like need for speed etc having no controller support, it dosen't seem to let you use a 360 controller only keyboard. Also quite a few of my steam games unsupported with controller when the game does on pc.

Soldato
Looking for some help setting mine up.

The image quality is crystal clear and I mean crystal, so no bones about that.

However the controller delay both ps4 or keyboard and mouse is pretty bad.

Directly connected to my router and streaming from a powerline adapter from the PC I get the following stats.

ping time 8-12ms
Streaming Latency <1ms
Input 30-35ms display.

I've tried lowering the rate slightly to 20 or 25, tried hardware decoding, on and off. I have no shadowplay installed on my card.

6700k and a 980 ti - fps never dips under 60 on BF1 running on steam link etc.

PC locked to 60hz instead of 144hz which my monitor is.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Received mine today and was impressed with how everything worked straight away including connecting a wired Playstation 3 pad.

There was 2x Steam games out of about 15 that I tried that would not work. I also tried adding a few Non Steam games into Steam and these were hit and miss on whether they worked or not. For example I tried Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 that are Origin based and Witcher 3 from GOG all of these had Sound but no image. Various other games worked flawlessly.

Are there certain games that are just incompatible or are there Steam settings / game resolution settings that need playing around with?

My PC monitor is 1440P with all games being set to this resolution and my TV is 1080P but most displayed fine.

For the non-steam games, are you using any custom SweetFX profiles or Fraps? I've found that they both interfere with the Steam Link streaming by not producing a picture.

Soldato
Also, there are settings within the main Steam Link menu (Advanced Client Options) and the Steam client options for the streaming options. You can set things like streaming quality, network speed and performance options within there, and also ensure that all the options for hardware decoding are enabled or disabled, depending on what works best for your system. Hardware coding enabled uses your GPU for decoding, but there used to be some issues with AMD GPUs. I play on my AMD GPU with hardware decoding enabled and it works perfectly for me.

Back
Top Bottom