Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
They can want it...I cant see someone paying it. Realistically who can afford him at that price?

That would work out fine for United too though. They either get a hefty profit on Pogba to reinvest in the squad, or they keep a player they don't want to sell. The only danger in all of this is that if Pogba desperately wants to leave then he could become toxic in the dressing room, but that's for United to figure out.

Caporegime
That would work out fine for United too though. They either get a hefty profit on Pogba to reinvest in the squad, or they keep a player they don't want to sell. The only danger in all of this is that if Pogba desperately wants to leave then he could become toxic in the dressing room, but that's for United to figure out.

Who is available to replace him that is the point really. It is a bad situation as I am more than happy for him to go but who is going to pay the money required to take him off our hands?

Soldato
Who is available to replace him that is the point really. It is a bad situation as I am more than happy for him to go but who is going to pay the money required to take him off our hands?

Sounds like Real Madrid and Juve are still being heavily linked to him. We all might wonder how those teams have the money to afford him, particularly Real having already spent £300m, but ultimately if they have the money then fair enough. I agree that there is no obvious replacement for him though. If we were to sell then it might be that United go a different route, rather than getting one player for similar money it seems like they might find two replacements at slightly reduced transfer fees. We're still being heavily linked to Bruno Fernandes, and personally I'd be happy with Tielemans, even though United seem to have ruled him out.

The latest player United have been linked to is the PSV right-back, Dumfries. Hopefully that's just paper nonsense as I thought he looked really average for PSV in the CL and for Holland against England and Portugal. He's not a decent AWB alternative imo.

Soldato

Having a player like Pogba in your dressing room when he's openly said he wants to leave is not a good idea imo. If you can get Isco and say 50 mil or similar then id snap Madrids hand off.

Soldato
I agree that Pogba hasn't hit the heights United fans would have hoped, but there's no way he'd only go for what United paid. He's got two years left on his contract and United don't want to sell. Whether Pogba is actually worth £130-150m is irrelevant, if that's what United value him at then that's how much he's going to cost if someone wants to buy him.

I just can't see anyone wanting to buy him at £130-£150m though. I'll be amazed if they do.

Soldato
I seem to recall reading that, at the time of his transfer to Man UTD, the club were fairly confident that they'd recoup much, if not all, of Pogba's transfer fee through revenues linked to his media and image rights. No idea of this actually played out as expected, but it could mean another large club taking a similar approach to a potential fee.

Soldato
It is getting harder and harder to fit players like isco, coutinho, ozil in the modern game. They would have swept up 10 years ago, but the top teams now need pace, power and stamina as well as guile in their front 3

Caporegime
It is getting harder and harder to fit players like isco, coutinho, ozil in the modern game. They would have swept up 10 years ago, but the top teams now need pace, power and stamina as well as guile in their front 3

Players like them have always struggled, it's nothing to do with the modern game, they are players that look fancy but lack more on the mental side of their game than the physical. Ozil just can't be bothered with the physicality of the game but you frequently see him get angry and start fouling people late in the game, it's about mentality, not lack of capability to be physical.

There are just as many players on the opposite end of the spectrum who are insanely fast, or strong, but can't actually turn that into anything useful. It's got nothing to do with the modern game, just players who have one aspect of a total player in abundance, but suck at most of the other things that make up a great player. There have always been players at either ends of the I would say three spectrums, physicality, creativity/talent/ability(whatever you want to call it) and mentality. The absolute best of the best are brilliant in all three areas. Most players have a decent balance in all, sometimes you just get a player that is a 10/10 in one of those, but so poor in one or two of the others that they aren't as good as rating them on a single aspect of their game would have us believe.

Don
Mad to tag Coutinho along with those two. He was tearing our league to bits just 18 months ago and still is an incredible player. His biggest problem at Barca is Messi. For Coutinho to be at his best he needs to be the central point of a side - it doesn't matter if he plays on the left in a front 3 or in a midfield 3, Coutinho wants and needs to be the playmaker from an attacking sense, constantly getting on the ball, trying through balls and give & go's. At Barca that's Messi's job though - the midfield's job is to give Messi the ball and the other forwards jobs are to make the runs for Messi. Coutinho isn't that midfielder or that forward.

Caporegime
Mad to tag Coutinho along with those two. He was tearing our league to bits just 18 months ago and still is an incredible player. His biggest problem at Barca is Messi. For Coutinho to be at his best he needs to be the central point of a side - it doesn't matter if he plays on the left in a front 3 or in a midfield 3, Coutinho wants and needs to be the playmaker from an attacking sense, constantly getting on the ball, trying through balls and give & go's. At Barca that's Messi's job though - the midfield's job is to give Messi the ball and the other forwards jobs are to make the runs for Messi. Coutinho isn't that midfielder or that forward.
I still have no idea why they bought him other than to have a Marquee signing. He just doesn't fit into Barca's style at all.

Soldato
Reports that Utd are to offer Pogba £500k a week to persuade him to stay and wander about the pitch looking disinterested for a couple more years, honestly Man Utd should just get rid, he's nearly as toxic influence as Jose was.

Back
Top Bottom