Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
I know Sanchez has been a disaster for Utd but at what point does it make sense to just keep him? According to the article below, Inter are trying to take him on loan and only offering to pay around £50k of his £400-500k per week wages, with Utd hoping Inter will pay around £100k. Surely at that sort of level you just keep him, if only to prove a point that they won't just bend over and take it - if they accept this sort of **** take loan then you can guarantee that it'll be the same next summer and for every remaining year of his contract.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...and-inter-to-resume-alexis-sanchez-loan-talks
Yeah seems like an awful idea really.

Man of Honour
A few Spurs players need to be asked quite bluntly if they want to play for the club or not. Eriksen needs to be fully dropped from team selection and training now. The uncertainty is too disruptive. I'm personally livid that the owner have let this drag on for so long.. Rose and Toby haven't helped either. The problem is they get to a point where they couldn't give a damn about the club. For them there's always another club..

Caporegime
OP
A few Spurs players need to be asked quite bluntly if they want to play for the club or not. Eriksen needs to be fully dropped from team selection and training now. The uncertainty is too disruptive. I'm personally livid that the owner have let this drag on for so long.. Rose and Toby haven't helped either. The problem is they get to a point where they couldn't give a damn about the club. For them there's always another club..
You honestly would drop him for the Arsenal game?

Soldato
He left 6 years ago. Lol. Agree it is silly but if he plays well for inter we can just call him back from loan

It's Woodward not gill

Haha sorry, I had a name in my mind and didn't check. I knew a lot of United fans wanted someone out! You have to admit that the biggest club in the world has completely lost its way. At least Arsenal declined slowly over 10 years..

Soldato
If Solskjaer is definitively not going to play Sanchez (which would be suggested by this move) then there is no point keeping him at the club.

You have to wonder what sort of hellishness his presence is about the place that you would pay to get rid of him at the point in time when the club needs forward and creative players.

Don
Seen various wages mentioned so I'm not sure anyone knows. Personally I'm just happy to pay less than all of them.
Even if he is zero use to you, which I'd question, I'm not sure you can simply say "well we're saving x amount". Utd were always going to struggle to shift Sanchez without paying the majority of his wages but surely you could have found somebody that would have paid more? When you take into account the loan fee and his wages, Harry Wilson is costing Bournemouth as much if not a bit more than what Inter will pay for Sanchez. Maybe Inter's offer was the best Utd could get this summer but by accepting it they've shown how desperate they are to get rid of him and you can now guarantee that Inter or whoever else will be back with another **** take offer next summer and every year until his deal runs out. Had Utd been a bit stronger then you'd hope tat in January or next summer they'd have stood a much better chance of finding somebody that would have paid a fair bit more to take him.
I'm not sure you can be overly critical of the players because this situation has been going on for a good 12 months now and I don't think any of them have not put the effort in when picked but the whole thing is a bit of a mess right now. You've got 3 key players that have run their contracts down and in Eriksen's case, openly stated he'd like to move on and then you've got Rose who was left out of your pre-season tour to find a new club and yet all appear to be staying and remain key players for you.

On the whole Levy's done great for you but I do think there's been times, like this summer, where his insistance on getting the best possible deal has ended up making things harder for Poch. I'm sure there would have been buyers for Erkisen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose at a certain price, even if that wasn't quite what Spurs hoped for but surely getting the money in and allowing Poch to bring in players that are fully onboard is better than the situation now. As well as the disruption you're talking about, you're now faced with the prospect of losing 3 of your most important players for nothing in 12 months or paying pretty much whatever they want to stay.

Soldato
Had Utd been a bit stronger then you'd hope tat in January or next summer they'd have stood a much better chance of finding somebody that would have paid a fair bit more to take him.

But then they'd have missed out on a full year of only paying part of his wages.

If you assume he's on £450k a week (not sure anyone really knows) and has 3 years left on his contract. That's £70m

If you then assume Inter are paying £150k and United pay £300k, and that continues for the next 3 years, then United will "only" pay £47m. Plus there's the chance of putting him in a shop window where he might play ok. There's zero chance of that at United.

If we held out and then you assume that next summer and the summer after we find a club to pay £200k a week (getting less likely after he's had another year doing **** all and he's now 31), then United end up paying around £3m more.

I think that at 150k if it's true then it's worth just trying to claw back what we can. I think everyone can agree that it was probably one of the worst deals in football history. The best we can hope for is that he does alright at Inter and on the back of that someone is willing to take him off our hands next summer.

Don
If the £150k per week figure is accurate then fair enough. I was basing it on a report last night which said Inter were paying €5m which works out at around £85k per week.

Don
And this reasoning is why we've kept Darmian for three years, how has that worked out?
Anybody that would be in for Darmian could afford to pay anything meaningful to Utd though. Sanchez has been a disaster for Utd but he still has some credit in the bank, in the same way Falcao did when Utd and then Chelsea took him on loan - both deals costing far more than what Utd are getting for/saving on Sanchez.

Just looking at the numbers for Sanchez again, even the top end figures being reported aren't much to write home about. Given that it's now the end of August and he'll return in June, £150k per week only equates to a £5.5-6m saving for Utd - from a total wagebill that was likely over £320m last season. Given how short of options Utd are in attack and the possibility that Sanchez could be of some use, is it really worthwhile? It seems like a drop in the ocean to me and any sort of significant injury to Rashford or Martial and Utd will be in a tricky position.

Back
Top Bottom