Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

Man Utd can splash the cash. I really do not see how Liverpool are different.

Everyone else can see it. Liverpool can 'splash the cash' but they don't unless it's for a particular player they actually want, that they've researched and targeted. They won't fitter it away on players they don't actually think are the right fit just for the sake of making signings.

Last edited:
Splashing the cash is not a good strategy and doesn't typically work. Most big money signings don't turn out that well in general.

That said, there must be areas they can strengthen.

Will be interesting to see what happens if/when the likes of VVD and Allisson leave. Salah will be gone in the next year or two as well I reckon. Replacing those players will decide the next 5 years or so of Liverpools life.

Everyone else can see it. Liverpool can 'splash the cash' but they don't unless it's for a particular player they actually want, that they've researched and targeted. They won't fitter it away on players they don't actually think are the right fit just for the sake of making signings.

Like Jude Bellingham who they let go because they wouldn't splash the cash who was La Liga player of the year and a sure thing.

Last edited:
Like Jude Bellingham who they let go because they wouldn't splash the cash who was La Liga player of the year and a sure thing.

Just another sensible decision when it became apparent that even if they wanted him, it was going to cost far too much in relation to the value one player would bring to the team, so they withdrew rather than end up in a bidding war with Real Madrid and end up spending £100m+ and destroying the clubs wage structure for a single player.

And rather than chase the pipe dream all summer and then spank £75m on a deadline day panic buy alternative and nothing else, they replanned in good time and bought four good midfielders that suited the team's requirements and were, as far as I recall, already on their radar.

I appreciate this sort of thing seems alien when you're used to the Man Utd strategy that would have seen them and their pet press bang on about Bellingham right up until 29th August and then **** £75m up the wall on someone else worth about £40m on the 30th August when it's announced he signed for Madrid.

I know Adam has some interesting takes but imagine criticising Liverpool for not being more like Man Utd in the transfer market :p

Anyway, reports out of Spain are suggesting that a deal for the Valencia keeper is getting closer. The reports are that Liverpool will reach an agreement to sign him in 2025 however Valencia will loan him to Bournemouth for this coming season. I assume this is just a work around of the PL rules that would have prevented Liverpool signing him this summer and immediately loaning him to another PL club.

Just another sensible decision when it became apparent that even if they wanted him, it was going to cost far too much in relation to the value one player would bring to the team, so they withdrew rather than end up in a bidding war with Real Madrid and end up spending £100m+ and destroying the clubs wage structure for a single player.

And rather than chase the pipe dream all summer and then spank £75m on a deadline day panic buy alternative and nothing else, they replanned in good time and bought four good midfielders that suited the team's requirements and were, as far as I recall, already on their radar.

I appreciate this sort of thing seems alien when you're used to the Man Utd strategy that would have seen them and their pet press bang on about Bellingham right up until 29th August and then **** £75m up the wall on someone else worth about £40m on the 30th August when it's announced he signed for Madrid.

Why are you bringing Man Utd into this? I know their transfer business is most likely the worst in the league well maybe second worst after Chelsea. That doesn't mean you cannot criticize the lack of spending by the Liverpool board. You make it out like they are some sort of paupers when they are not.

Arsenal go splash 100+ million on Rice and City 100+ million on Grealish. Liverpool are going to go into this season without buying a single player and expect to go for it in the league!? Which is what they should be aiming for as a bare minimum.

Like others have said Liverpool will be losing Salah, VVD in the next couple of seasons and Allisson isn't getting any younger. If they are not careful they will be sleep walking into mediocrity which isn't where they should belong.

Merino is in the last year of his contract, not quite sure why Arsenal are taking so long to get this one over the line. Player is reportedly up for it.

Last edited:
Why are you bringing Man Utd into this? I know their transfer business is most likely the worst in the league well maybe second worst after Chelsea. That doesn't mean you cannot criticize the lack of spending by the Liverpool board. You make it out like they are some sort of paupers when they are not.

Arsenal go splash 100+ million on Rice and City 100+ million on Grealish. Liverpool are going to go into this season without buying a single player and expect to go for it in the league!? Which is what they should be aiming for as a bare minimum.

Like others have said Liverpool will be losing Salah, VVD in the next couple of seasons and Allisson isn't getting any younger. If they are not careful they will be sleep walking into mediocrity which isn't where they should belong.
You're completely missing the point Adam. It's not about being paupers, it's a case that Liverpool have a very clear, long standing strategy that they won't spend big unless they're convinced that the player is right. Yes, it will result in them at times missing out on players because they're too cautious but it also minimises the chance of signing duds and this is a massive issue for the biggest sides. When Liverpool or Utd buy poorly, they're more often than not stuck with those players for years because they pay some of the biggest wages around and nobody that will want those players can afford to pay them. You only have to look at Utd's struggles to shift numerous players over the years to see this. Utd have just sold AWB and according to the Athletic, they had to pay him a significant sum to persuade him to leave. Clubs don't want to be doing this not just because it makes things more expensive but it also makes improving the side harder.

And on your point about going into the season without buying a single player, if you're not including 3rd choice keepers then we have done this before. The season ended with us winning the League.

Why are you bringing Man Utd into this?
They were already part of the discussion in the posts I was replying to.

That doesn't mean you cannot criticize the lack of spending by the Liverpool board. You make it out like they are some sort of paupers when they are not.
Nobody is making out like they're paupers, you just seem to be struggling with the concept of a club that deliberately won't spend money on alternatives if the players it wants to buy are not available. They're not languishing in mid table mediocrity crying out for upgrades in every position and getting no backing.

Let's not forget there's a few weeks of transfer window left yet, but even so, if they're happy with the squad and the improvements they want aren't available, it's entirely sensible (especially so in the age of FFP, PSR etc.) to not spend money on players you don't actually need or want just for the sake of making some signings. Their squad actually looks pretty strong as it is, there's not many positions screaming out for upgrades lest the season be a total failure. It sounds like they wanted Zubimendi as an upgrade in the defensive midfield area but if he's not available, there's no point spending money on a 'Plan B' because they already have Endo and Bajcetic (and others? not sure how many other of the CMs they have could reasonably be expected to cover a CDM role) who are good players - a Plan B would just be adding another player of similar calibre - pointless, they already have that.

Salah and VVD I think both have expiring contracts at the end of this season, we'll get a better idea of Liverpool's plans for them if we see contract renewals during the year or not. Assuming they need to replace them next summer and might not get transfer income, they'll have a better footing to do it from in terms of PSR if they haven't been wasting money on players they don't actually need or want right now in this transfer window.

Looks like Bobby Clark is off to Salzburg for around £10m. I'm not sure how to feel. On one hand he impressed in the few games he played last season and you want to give young players all the opportunity to make it but on the other hand, if you're being 100% honest, the likelihood that he'd have made it with us (even as a squad option) was always going to be small.

He's going to have a good career for himself and I'm glad he's going to Salzburg, where it's clear Ljinders wanted him and he'll be given the opportunity to play regularly. Hopefully, as well as any sell-on clause there's also the option of buying him back in the future too.

Looks like Bobby Clark is off to Salzburg for around £10m. I'm not sure how to feel. On one hand he impressed in the few games he played last season and you want to give young players all the opportunity to make it but on the other hand, if you're being 100% honest, the likelihood that he'd have made it with us (even as a squad option) was always going to be small.

He's going to have a good career for himself and I'm glad he's going to Salzburg, where it's clear Ljinders wanted him and he'll be given the opportunity to play regularly. Hopefully, as well as any sell-on clause there's also the option of buying him back in the future too.
Genuine question, given Klopps seeming fondness for bringing through the younger players and breaking them into the team, do you think that the likes of Clark etc would be sold had Klopp still been here or do you think more of the younger players might have seen a route into the squad ? I guess seeing some of the kids that we saw debut under Klopp now leaving does sort of make me realise all the more (perhaps a bit bizarrely) that Klopp is no longer here. Youngsters that I sort of associate with Klopp now in my head.

Genuine question, given Klopps seeming fondness for bringing through the younger players and breaking them into the team, do you think that the likes of Clark etc would be sold had Klopp still been here or do you think more of the younger players might have seen a route into the squad ? I guess seeing some of the kids that we saw debut under Klopp now leaving does sort of make me realise all the more (perhaps a bit bizarrely) that Klopp is no longer here. Youngsters that I sort of associate with Klopp now in my head.
If you think back to Klopp's first season, he gave a lot of academy players a chance then too and within 6-18 months most of them got sold too. I think we all fall into the trap of seeing a young player get a chance and probably exaggerate how well they've done because they're an academy player and forget just how difficult it is to reach the standard required to play for Liverpool.

Clark's the only one that's been sold (or likely to be) that wasn't an obvious sale imo and it's impossible to know what Klopp would have done had he still be here. I like Clark but I felt his limit was that of a good solid squad player (he was never going to become Mac Allister for example) and even that was never guaranteed. Where I think Klopp leaving has made a difference is more in the way the midfield sets-up rather than views on youth players - in Klopp's 4-3-3 Clark had a natural position as one of the 8's but with Slot it's more two 6's and a 10 and I'm not sure Clark fits either role.

I guess the guaranteed money on the table for somebody that wouldn't feature much (if at all) for us this season and only had a small chance of establishing himself was too good to turn down and if we do have some sort of clause (matching rights, first refusal etc) then it covers us in the eventuality that he does kick on. I think it's a great move for Clark though. He's going to work with a manager that knows him, wants him and he'll get the game time he needs at this age - if he's going to make it then he's been given the best chance possible.

Back
Top Bottom