Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

I used to get insulted for saying McTominay was only ever good enough as backup so I'm not disputing that it made sense to move him on and he was probably your best sale (from a financial pov) but when you compare it to what some Championship players were being sold for or academy(ish) players, it was nothing special. But anyway, we'll see how Utd's new ownership get on over the next 12-18 months rather than one window.

Who thinks it's a special deal though? Most fans are simply happy to see players moving on. It seems to be fans of other clubs making the comments.

Last edited:
Who thinks it's a special deal though? Most fans are simply happy to see players moving on. It seems to be fans of other clubs making the comments.
You've got some really low expectations if selling players in isolation is a success and as I said earlier, players moved on under the Glazers too :confused:

Look at that, Celtic , arguably the biggest team in Scotland have broken their transfer record..of 11m. Goes to show the huge disparity in monies on either side of the border.

Rangers are similar. Both clubs get regular champions league football. They both get big crowds for every home game.

In spite of that they still earn less than the team in last place in the premier league.

Yeah players moved on after letting contracts run down
Henderson, Fred & Elanga were all sold last summer and imo those deals were just as good/bad as any you've done this summer.

Players will leave on frees. It happens to clubs like Utd (and Liverpool) because they pay big wages. Short of paying players to leave (as is reported re AWB for instance) that will continue in the future too, it's part and parcel of being a big club. You won't get every transfer right and the ones that go wrong are very expensive because they won't leave without big pay offs. Liverpool have had 5(?) first teamers leave on frees over this and last summer and we're regarded as being well run.

We sold 7 first team players this summer (8 if Sancho is gone)

The summer before we sold 4.
The summer before that 3.
The summer before...1
And 1 the year before that too.

It's pretty clear we've done better at shifting deadwood than the previous regime. On top of that we've managed to work on more than one deal at a time AND have managed to sign more than 3 players in one window. It's early days and we'll have to see over the seasons to come how the new signings do but it's pretty clear the new regime is an improvement.

We've also been desperate for an Ugarte-type player for decades, even if he's not the second coming he should be better than a leggy Casemiro.

We've also been crying out for better defenders for ages.

Yet we're wrong to be hopeful/glad/excited.

Last edited:
Yet we're wrong to be hopeful/glad/excited.
Nobody says you're wrong to be hopeful, I was just curious to hear what you thought the tangible differences were from before. You've been clearing out players for as long as I can remember. When Ole was appointed you were clearing up the mess of Mourinho, shipping out Lukaku and Sanchez and bringing in young hungry players. We had Neville talking about liking the Utd side again but that lasted 5 minutes and 4-5 years on you're still doing the same.

Things will only change if the players you bring in are successful and only time will tell if that happens.

Henderson, Fred & Elanga were all sold last summer and imo those deals were just as good/bad as any you've done this summer.

Players will leave on frees. It happens to clubs like Utd (and Liverpool) because they pay big wages. Short of paying players to leave (as is reported re AWB for instance) that will continue in the future too, it's part and parcel of being a big club. You won't get every transfer right and the ones that go wrong are very expensive because they won't leave without big pay offs. Liverpool have had 5(?) first teamers leave on frees over this and last summer and we're regarded as being well run.

Theres a difference to Liverpool mate you ain't anywhere close to what United's wage bill , under the glazers they spent over billion close to city and ending up being much worse on the pitch and having the highest wage bill , united to Liverpool is on another level during glazers running of the club

Sanchez , pogba , Mkhitaryan, Donny van de Beek, Depay, Schneiderlin, Di Maria, martial I can go on do tell me what Liverpools were transfer fee and wages given ?

Glazers are saints to you I get the defence of them

Last edited:
Nobody says you're wrong to be hopeful, I was just curious to hear what you thought the tangible differences were from before. You've been clearing out players for as long as I can remember. When Ole was appointed you were clearing up the mess of Mourinho, shipping out Lukaku and Sanchez and bringing in young hungry players. We had Neville talking about liking the Utd side again but that lasted 5 minutes and 4-5 years on you're still doing the same.

Things will only change if the players you bring in are successful and only time will tell if that happens.
Yeah and we'll have to do the same when ETH is sacked so can we please just enjoy the moment until Pool rip us a new one?

Liverpool's last set of accounts (22/23 season) showed a wage bill of £373m. Utd's for the same season was £331m. Now of course Utd weren't in the CL that season so it would have been reduced however for last season (working on a pro-rata basis (9 months of Utd's accounts are out)) Utd's wages are likely to be approx £370m. Liverpool pay just as much in wages as Utd.

Liverpool's last set of accounts (22/23 season) showed a wage bill of £373m. Utd's for the same season was £331m. Now of course Utd weren't in the CL that season so it would have been reduced however for last season (working on a pro-rata basis (9 months of Utd's accounts are out)) Utd's wages are likely to be approx £370m. Liverpool pay just as much in wages as Utd.

I'm not taking about 22/23 , go back more and show me the difference in transfer paid and wages

Manchester United: £-505.54m
24/25: £-51.77m
23/24: £-121.23m (8th)
22/23: £-184.95m (3rd)
21/22: £-93.4m (6th)
20/21: £-54.27m (2nd)

Liverpool: £-253.01m
24/25: £4.2m
23/24: £-93.73m (3rd)
22/23: £-54.82m (5th)
21/22: £-51.75m (2nd)
20/21: £-56.93m (3rd)