Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
Southampton sign Wesley Hoedt, I think that makes it 6 CBs in the first team squad now.

Someone will be moving on, no need for 6 options.

Don
OP
Southampton sign Wesley Hoedt, I think that makes it 6 CBs in the first team squad now.

Someone will be moving on, no need for 6 options.
Who could that be? :p

I saw another couple of articles today on VvD - Southampton still are refusing to sell him.......unless they receive a huge offer.

Man of Honour
Sky are reporting Barca are preparing a bid worth a total of £138m for Coutinho now, presumably a chunk of that will be addons.

Edit: £101m and £37m addons. :p

Don
OP
Peter Jenson, who covers La Liga for the Mail is reporting it too. £101m up front with £37m of easily achievable add-ons - supposedly linked to CL appearances.

Given who is reporting the bid it's clear it's been leaked by Barca so who knows how true these figures are. If we assume they're legit, we'd now be reaching the sort of level where it gives Liverpool a decision to make.

Don
OP
Agree. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, Barca have been trying their best not to show their hand too early so they don't get their pants pulled down but that tactic looks like backfiring on them. Had they gone in with a serious offer 3-4 weeks ago rather than offering 'up to £72m' then there would be a decent chance that a deal gets done. The longer it's gone on, the more expensive any possible deal has become and we're now at a stage where it's questionable whether any amount would be enough.

I'd wait and see just how serious this offer is though. It could well be bs and/or an attempt to force Dortmund into accepting the Dembele offer.

Man of Honour
Its a whack of money thats for sure. Coutinho going is an inevitability, its only a question of when. If not this summer, then next, or the next after that. Will we get as much for him next time around, I dont know.

I suppose really a lot will have to do with Coutinhos current mood and wants, only those inside the club will know that, out here we can only guess. If he REALLY wants to go, if the idea of staying instead of moving to Barca this summer is something he REALLY doesnt want, then keeping hold of him instead of taking that much money actually may not be the best thing. One way or the other, I think we're in for an interesting final week of the transfer window, which is good, I like an exciting close to the window

Man of Honour
It's definitely a tactic, I don't believe a new bid has been made. And in fairness to Sky etc, they said it's being 'prepared'.

If those addons are easily achievable, I think £140m is too much to turn down.

Klopp would need to identify perhaps a couple of younger players who aren't at massive clubs to potentially strengthen the squad, to avoid being held to ransom.

As a side note, Barcelona are a shambles at the moment, on and off the pitch.

Don
OP
Assuming this bid gets made and these add-ons aren't nonsense, it's certainly reaching the levels where you can make the argument that it makes sense to sell even if you can't fully reinvest the money now - maybe you buy Draxler (for example), be slightly weaker for the time being and then look to bring in players in January or even next summer. I suspect we're not going to sell though.

Man of Honour
We should still hold firm, what we need is to strengthen ourselves we have just under 2 weeks to go and we don't look squad ready for the season

I agree , we dont look squad ready and we do need to strengthen. A case could be argued that large a sum would go a long way to aiding in strengthening. I would like to see us keep Coutinho but as I say, I think the biggest factor here will be Coutinho himself and how he feels and his mood.

Whenever I see him on tv, he "seems" like a nice guy, not like the sort to mope if he doesnt get what he wants, but ultimately, I do not know the man, I do not know what he is really like and I do not know what he has said and what his mood is like behind closed doors. Only those at the club will know that.

Depending on Coutinho himself, keeping firm and refusing may not actually be keeping us strong at all (compared, long or short term , to that sum of money), it could be quite the opposite.

Soldato
I agree , we dont look squad ready and we do need to strengthen. A case could be argued that large a sum would go a long way to aiding in strengthening. I would like to see us keep Coutinho but as I say, I think the biggest factor here will be Coutinho himself and how he feels and his mood.

Whenever I see him on tv, he "seems" like a nice guy, not like the sort to mope if he doesnt get what he wants, but ultimately, I do not know the man, I do not know what he is really like and I do not know what he has said and what his mood is like behind closed doors. Only those at the club will know that.

Depending on Coutinho himself, keeping firm and refusing may not actually be keeping us strong at all (compared, long or short term , to that sum of money), it could be quite the opposite.
We should not need to sell to buy right now though, we're allot more stable finance wise.

Rumours are this 4th bid has come about due to countinho pushing for a last attempt but who knows what's true.

If we're in a position we're we have to sell to buy we won't ever get any further long term.

Caporegime
Even if he stays with the dealings you have done this window I think you are in trouble. The lack of targets found by Klopp is laughable. I think you will do well how you sit now to finish 6th.

Man of Honour
We should not need to sell to buy right now though, we're allot more stable finance wise.

Rumours are this 4th bid has come about due to countinho pushing for a last attempt but who knows what's true.

If we're in a position we're we have to sell to buy we won't ever get any further long term.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we have to sell to buy, all I'm saying is that having an additional 138m in the kitty can only be a help for buying.

Especially if Couts head isnt in the game or his mood is very much in favour of a move.

Caporegime
Even if he stays with the dealings you have done this window I think you are in trouble. The lack of targets found by Klopp is laughable. I think you will do well how you sit now to finish 6th.

I agree, our dealings thus far have been hilarious. I'm not blaming Klopp by any means though, but it's been a very very disappointing window.

Back
Top Bottom