Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Couple of points there Baz, Coutinho has kicked up a fuzz and you said he wouldn't. Which I think most people knew would happen if he didn't get sold. When Barca/Madrid come knocking you ultimately go there, De Gea being the only exception I can think of.

Spurs; Half the side wants to leave ? Really? Which 5 players are these then ?
Yes, I acknowledged that it's surprised me that he's gone as far as to hand a transfer request in. I wouldn't say he's really kicked up a fuss (yet) though if you compare his behaviour to that of VvD, Suarez and even the likes of Modric and Ronaldo in the past. Modric full on striked, Ronaldo as good as said Utd were treating him like a slave, Suarez gave interviews to every rag claiming the club lied and betrayed him and a similar story with VvD. So far all Coutinho has done is ask to leave and we've had a couple of "a source close to Coutinho" type quotes.

Again, I've not once said that I didn't think Coutinho wouldn't want to join Barca. I could have told you the day he signed that if they came in for him he'd want to leave and that applies to 99% of players in the Premier League. As per my tongue in cheek comments to CM, hasn't Eriksen already said that he wouldn't be able to say no to Barca?

And as above, please don't take my comments to CM seriously, at the very least they're tongue in cheek - cm gives out more **** on this sub forum than every other member combined and deserves all the **** that comes his way.

But if you want a serious reply - Spurs are in a very difficult position right now. Rose's interview sums up their problems - several players are wanted by clubs that can and would pay them 2, 3 or even 4 times more than Spurs are paying them. It's no coincidence that Rose gave his interview and a day later Mourinho's pet dog is reporting that Utd want him. How much longer will Kane or Ali accept their wage when they could get considerably more elsewhere? It was quite strongly reported that Dier wanted to join Utd and you can be sure the fact he'd double his money was part of the issue and as above, even without a bid coming in Erkisen has spoke of a move to Barca. Iinm (I might be wrong) you're struggling to tie down Alderweireld to a new contract too.

Spurs are performing like a top side but not paying like one and while that's admirable, it's not sustainable.

Barca already have enough whining ****s, they never wanted him. And De Gea's not a Real player because they pulled the plug out of the fax machine, not because Dea Gea didn't want to join them.

Just to be clear, I wasn't picking on everyone's favourite Spurs fan. CM is known gambling with his forum life which is why I made him the offer. He didn't take it because he knows I could enforce it when he lost.
if we could get Keita and VVD and lose Coutinho I wouldn't be upset as it would improve the balance of the team, won't happen though

If Coutinho were to leave we'd need to bring in another attacking mid/wide player too. Although Firmino can play in one of the wider roles he never looks as comfortable there and of course is our first choice central attack - without Coutinho we'd be left with just Mane, Salah + a kid of 2.

We need another signing or 2 generally, yes but I was talking specifically about wide, attacking players. With Coutinho, although I wouldn't say no to somebody, we're just about ok. In central midfield and central defence we're short though but Klopp's acknowledged that and fingers crossed we'll see a midfielder and CB arrive.

edit: and I'm sure Can will sign a new deal. He/his agent are just going to make sure it's the best deal they can get.

Doubt that re Can. He knows going into the last year of his deal he's in a strong position to demand more money and we'll pay him more than Juve will.

The cynic in me says the deal could already be done and the club are just waiting for the right moment to announce it. That'll be deadline day when we don't sign anybody ;)

It's not ideal but I don't think we'll be lining up today thinking about Coutinho tbh.

Assuming Liverpool stand firm, which it certainly appears they will, I don't have any worries about Coutinho as soon as the window closes/he realises he's not moving. If he doesn't perform then in 9 months time he's not getting in the Brazil side for the WC and his chances of Barca or PSG still wanting him won't be as great either.

You do realise Coutinho has only just really established himself in the Brazil side? He's not Neymar, he won't get in the team just off his name. If he's not playing regularly and well he won't be in the Brazil squad let alone side.

And if he has a good season of course his value will go up. In 12 months time, on the back of another good season, there's every chance that PSG go big for him too. As yet we've been offered no more than what you paid for Lukaku - he's worth more than that before you take into account Barca having £200m burning a hole in their pocket. If Barca come back with an offer of £120m then that's another story.

Klopp comments after our game imo say enough and I reckon countinho is gone
As I've said in the spoilers thread, people have misunderstood what he was saying. He was saying he has to accept the owners decision not to sell him.

He was asked if the transfer request changed anything and he said he's not seen the owners yet but he doesn't think so and went on to say their position was clear and that as an owner he has to accept their decisions.

I'm just not convinced baz that's all. Our history shows we let big players go that's even before fsg granted previous owners were out right terrible but still.
You're entitled to believe that, I was just pointing out that Klopp's comments were suggesting the opposite to what you thought.

Let Coutinho go, fire a bid in for Reus. Or offer the same for Keita.

The only way selling Coutinho would make sense would be if we were able to sign Keita & somebody of Reus's ability - his injury problems mean probably not him though. Selling Coutinho to buy 1 of them makes no sense.

coutinho poster has been taken down from the liverpool club shop window
....along with every other poster of every player at every Liverpool store. Possibly we're selling half our squad or its because those posters are being replaced by a new ad campaign.

I don't think it was ever reported that we bid that much. Iirc it was reported that our 2nd bid was £66m and we would have been willing to go to £75m had Red Bull indicated any willingness to do a deal. As they point blank refused to even negotiate we didn't waste our time bidding further. As per my posts in the thread on the potential changes to deadline day, maybe we were hoping Red Bull might blink and open negotiations after we pulled away and/or maybe Red Bull were hoping their stance would result in us making them an offer they couldn't refuse. Or maybe they genuinely wouldn't sell at any price.

Back
Top Bottom