Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

So Real Madrid want €90m (£78m) for Morata. That's just unreasonable even in the current market. Nobody else will pay anything close to that so they'll be keeping him on the bench at this rate.

To be fair I would not say I'm after four or five players as you would see the prices rocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did only get three. Does depend who those three are.

I think 3 or so is about right. If we add a Lacazette or some such up front and keep Sanchez and Ozil the squad is actually pretty big. Wouldn't say no to a Rodriguez though who we are apparently looking at.

Who's out there that represents better value right now/who would you rather buy? Eg. the only other people I've heard linked are Lukaku @ £100m and Belotti @ £87m. You're going to get bent over in terms of money when it comes to anyone, especially when they can look at the Ibrahimovic football leaks and think 'well, they paid him £19m/year... plus a few million in bonuses... they don't mind effectively paying £x/year for their main striker'.

I understand that, but is there really nobody better for around the £100m mark? :eek: Belotti is an even bigger gamble, even at much lower figures.

Sky have got the following as the top centre-forwards in the European Leagues - (To narrow down the search for the elite finishers this season, a minimum of 15 goals - excluding penalties - in Europe's top-five leagues was set as a requirement, leaving 14 players. Those that haven't featured as a centre-forward in more than half of their total appearances were also discounted, omitting the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.):
  • Luis Suarez (Barcelona)
  • Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (BVB)
  • Andrea Belotti (Torino)
  • Edin Dzeko (Roma)
  • Romelu Lukaku (Everton)
  • Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal)
  • Edinson Cavani (PSG)
  • Robert Lewandowski (Bayern)
  • Dries Mertens (Napoli)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Diego Costa (Chelsea)
  • Anthony Modeste (Koln)
  • Mauro Icardi (Inter Milan)
  • Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon)

I suppose the positive with someone like Morata is that he could in theory end up being one of the best, but that's not certain. I'm never against splashing money, whatever it takes, but it needs to be on the right players.

The age of half them players are 29/30 too. Bad times for strikers in this era.

Cavani is the best option as they've pretty much bought PEA but he's 30 and will cost around 40m I imagine. Crazy times.

Right, and then remove unrealistic targets or ones the fans would spack out about - eg. Suarez, Dzeko, Costa, Sanchez. Then how good are some of the rest? Eg. he makes the list, but would you be happy with Lacazette as your star striker? I don't really follow Italian football so wouldn't want to pass judgement on a bunch of them.

But anyway, once you've whittled that list down... then you have to ask how much they'd cost. So you're baulking at £60m for Morata, but Kane could easily be something stupid like £150m! I saw something about Inter wanting almost £100m for Icardi, etc.

To be fair I don't know enough about all of them, but Mourinho will want a striker who can hold the ball up - which Morata can - so that shortens the list further I suppose.

Morata is comparable to a few on that list in terms of ability at least. It doesn't seem like there are that many great strikers out there. Lewandowski I'm a big fan of, but they wouldn't sell him for anything.

An ideal scenario would be to get Morata and Belotti for something like £90m combined, but that's not looking likely at all. :p Then there's the De Gea issue too.

I suppose logically Morata is a good fit, however I would have expected him to cost around the £50m mark, but the market has gone mad as we all know.

Morata and Rashford would be a good pairing, but I can't see Mourinho playing 2 strikers very often.

Majority of the figures quoted for strikers this summer makes Pogba (with 4 consistant years at the top under his belt) look cheap

Admittedly Lacezette so far looks a reasonable deal (if he does move for ~£50m) but nigh on everyone else with even a single year 's form are like ~£80m

Even wages seem to have gone through the roof for relatively inexperienced players and what they are expecting vs what clubs will play (and in one sense this should be the easier part of any deal to get agreed - unless you are talking about a mega star transfer)

They don't make Pogba look cheap, they are the game changers that win you games and everyone needs a 25+ league goal scorer in their team.

80m for a striker and you expect top 2 finish.
In reality the Pogba fee you could have bought PEA and someone else and you will have done better than a 6th place finish.

Pogba will look cheap if he becomes the total midfielder we hope he will for the next 10 years, but transfer prices are going up and up. In hindsight Ronaldo would have been a bargain even at £200m.

I feel sad at the way my fellow Arsenal fans still believe Alexis is staying. Not a cat in hells chance I'm afraid.

We are supposed to be rebuilding but it feels more like we are being decimated.
I think he will at least stay another season, perhaps to see what Wenger is going to do with regards to signings and our challenge for next season.

If not and he's adamant he wants to go then sell him, don't let it drag on like the RVP saga a few yrs back.

Back
Top Bottom