Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Joycey says we are monitoring Sarr. If we manage to get Lewis and Sarr I think thats an ok window...i just worry about the cbs.
I like Sarr and for most sides he'd be a great signing but I can't see how we sign another African forward. I'm sure that one of the biggest factors in our interest in Werner was the planned African Cup of Nations for January and that being postponed was part of the reason why we didn't follow through with the signing. It's still going to be held in January in 2022 though - signing Sarr will still leave us massively short in attack for 5-6 weeks and if we sign Sarr, I can't see how we then sign another half decent forward on top.

As for CB's, I'm not massively concerned. Lovren made a total of 13 League and CL appearances last season but around half of those were either in games where we rested half the side or games when Trent was rested and Gomez was shifted to RB. Obviously it would be great to have another CB option but Williams emergence (freeing up Gomez when Trent's unavailable) eases the need straight away and we've got enough options in midfield to play Fabinho (or even Henderson or Wijnaldum) at CB for 4-5 games if we really needed to.

Soldato
I like Sarr and for most sides he'd be a great signing but I can't see how we sign another African forward. I'm sure that one of the biggest factors in our interest in Werner was the planned African Cup of Nations for January and that being postponed was part of the reason why we didn't follow through with the signing. It's still going to be held in January in 2022 though - signing Sarr will still leave us massively short in attack for 5-6 weeks and if we sign Sarr, I can't see how we then sign another half decent forward on top.

As for CB's, I'm not massively concerned. Lovren made a total of 13 League and CL appearances last season but around half of those were either in games where we rested half the side or games when Trent was rested and Gomez was shifted to RB. Obviously it would be great to have another CB option but Williams emergence (freeing up Gomez when Trent's unavailable) eases the need straight away and we've got enough options in midfield to play Fabinho (or even Henderson or Wijnaldum) at CB for 4-5 games if we really needed to.

I think if Sarrs cheap enough its a no brainer AFCON or not personally. Theres two windows to go between now and then...who knows hwat happens.

Did you see the PSG and Matip link? Hahaha

Don
I think if Sarrs cheap enough its a no brainer AFCON or not personally. Theres two windows to go between now and then...who knows hwat happens.

Did you see the PSG and Matip link? Hahaha
You're not getting Sarr out of Watford for sub £40m. Their owners have got money and turned down mental bids for Deeney and Ighalo in 2016. As for AFCON and what might be come then, the club will be planning ahead already. The only way signing Sarr makes sense (unless he's dirt cheap) would be if the club are expecting one of Salah or Mane to leave next summer but I can't see that being likely given the state of the transfer market post covid. I'd happily take him though - I can see him exploding like Mane did for us.

And yea. As much as Matip's been incredible for us when fit, he's only ever fit for half the season. I doubt there's any truth to the story but if PSG did offer us big money then I'd sell him.

Soldato
Been reported this morning that willian to arsenal has been agreed and aubameyang is signing a new 3 year contract

Great news on both :D

think it spells bad news for laca though

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not impressed with the Willian signing at all. Given him 100k a week until he’s 35. Ridiculous. I don’t even rate him.

Yep this. Reeks of a short term fix on a long term contract.

Arsenal should have been in for Sarr imo...it would cost money but you arent going to be paying him 100k a week and he's also 10 years younger. Benrahma from Brentford aswell.

Soldato
Whats the problem with willian transfer?

Prem proven already settled in london, bags of experience for the younger players (Martinelli/nketiah/saka etc) to tap into

More goals and assists than our equivalent players. Hes versdatile can play left/right or as a number 10

This season was his most productive for chelsea goals/assists. He's also got a good injury record

Arteta is promoting youth but you also need wise heads in and around the dressing room

He isnt going to be our only signing :o:o

Soldato
If im one of those players youve mentioned id be curious as to why hes signing a wide forward when he has me waiting for an opportunity. If hes promoting youth why is he signing a player with no doubt a generous signing on and agents fee plus 100k a week until hes 35?

Could you imagine Liverpool signing a 32 year old attacking mid on 100k for 3 years when we have Curtis Jones waiting to come through?

Soldato
If im one of those players youve mentioned id be curious as to why hes signing a wide forward when he has me waiting for an opportunity. If hes promoting youth why is he signing a player with no doubt a generous signing on and agents fee plus 100k a week until hes 35?

Could you imagine Liverpool signing a 32 year old attacking mid on 100k for 3 years when we have Curtis Jones waiting to come through?

none of those players can play as a number 10

i wouldnt be surprised if we line up

------------------------------------ Auba/Laca/nketiah--------------------------
Martinelli/Saka/Auba-----------------------------------------------Pepe
----------------------------------------Willian----------------------------------------

Don
I’m not impressed with the Willian signing at all. Given him 100k a week until he’s 35. Ridiculous. I don’t even rate him.

But giving anything PEA wants at 31 is fine? Willian is probably better right now than any of your wide players? You’re clearly quite desperate to get him too to give him that length of contract!

Suspended
But giving anything PEA wants at 31 is fine? Willian is probably better right now than any of your wide players? You’re clearly quite desperate to get him too to give him that length of contract!
You can’t compare the two. Auba has scored 60 goals in two seasons. It’s taken willian 7 seasons to hit that amount. I just think he’s too inconsistent. Looks good for a couple of games then does nothing for ages.

There’s better and younger, more long term targets we could be giving 100k a week to.

Don
You can’t compare the two. Auba has scored 60 goals in two seasons. It’s taken willian 7 seasons to hit that amount. I just think he’s too inconsistent. Looks good for a couple of games then does nothing for ages.

There’s better and younger, more long term targets we could be giving 100k a week to.

I know they’re different but you seemed to be using Willians age as an excuse not to give him half of what you’re offering PEA. He is technically great and no slouch even at 31. Take it as a decent signing on the quarter of Ozils wage or whatever he’s on.

Soldato

like????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom