Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Their nationality is irrelevant. We're a few injuries short of having to start Lingard and Pereira, we need depth. We don't have 'glaring needs' elsewhere except for a right winger really. We need a backup left back because Williams is better on the right and we need a backup CB if we can shift some of our deadweight. Then next summer probably we need a replacement for Matic

Caporegime
Their nationality is irrelevant. We're a few injuries short of having to start Lingard and Pereira, we need depth. We don't have 'glaring needs' elsewhere except for a right winger really. We need a backup left back because Williams is better on the right and we need a backup CB if we can shift some of our deadweight. Then next summer probably we need a replacement for Matic

To you it might be, but not to me. I want the English national side to do well.

Yes you do, you desperately need a left back and a centre half. Those are two pretty obvious requirements from this window.

Caporegime
Thing is, if you’re Scott McTominay or Nemanja Matic you have to look at these signings and wonder how many games you’ll be playing, never mind starting as it’s clear Beek, Fernandez and Pogba will be starting if fit. Why would you spend that amount if they’re not starters?

Caporegime
To you it might be, but not to me. I want the English national side to do well.

Yes you do, you desperately need a left back and a centre half. Those are two pretty obvious requirements from this window.

Well in that case perhaps post about the clubs that don't contribute to the national team. I haven't seen you once complaining that Chelsea are signing foreign players that will limit their youth chances.

I literally just posted we need those :confused: We need to shift some players though, we have 7 first team CB's at the club right now.

Caporegime
Well in that case perhaps post about the clubs that don't contribute to the national team. I haven't seen you once complaining that Chelsea are signing foreign players that will limit their youth chances.

I literally just posted we need those :confused: We need to shift some players though, we have 7 first team CB's at the club right now.
Chelsea’s youth players get plenty of chances. On loan at other clubs!

Caporegime
Thing is, if you’re Scott McTominay or Nemanja Matic you have to look at these signings and wonder how many games you’ll be playing, never mind starting as it’s clear Beek, Fernandez and Pogba will be starting if fit. Why would you spend that amount if they’re not starters?

Both players have recently signed new contracts. Matic has been first choice in the latter stages of this season, but he can't play 2 games a week at his age. McT is still learning, he's a very good fit for some games but for others we need other options. I very much doubt we're planning to start those three.

I'm not sure if you've been around for the last few years, but £40m is perfectly reasonable for a squad option. Most top clubs have players that they've spent that much on that don't start every week.

Caporegime

No you didn't you said you need backups, i'm saying you need out and out replacements.

You need a centre half and a left back that will start every week, give or take.

As for the dead wood, shift them out then, Lindelof is OK to sit on the bench (IE backup) but the rest aren't good enough.

Caporegime
No you didn't you said you need backups, i'm saying you need out and out replacements.

You need a centre half and a left back that will start every week, give or take.

Ok, well you're wrong but that is fine. Shaw has been great this season and is a very important part of how we play (which you could see when he got injured) As for CB, there are none available that are an improvement over our current starters. We've got one of the best defensive records in the league, we most certainly don't need to change two of our starters.

Caporegime
Ok, well you're wrong but that is fine. Shaw has been great this season and is a very important part of how we play (which you could see when he got injured) As for CB, there are none available that are an improvement over our current starters. We've got one of the best defensive records in the league, we most certainly don't need to change two of our starters.

Wrong in what respect? Dont take my word for it, google Man United need a centre half and listen to ex players if you like.

Shaw isn't anywhere near good enough, you think he's been 'great' this season. Thats actually cute.

Caporegime
Wrong in what respect? Dont take my word for it, google Man United need a centre half and listen to ex players if you like.

Shaw isn't anywhere near good enough, you think he's been 'great' this season. Thats actually cute.

You mean from Scholes? Who thought we were selling Fred because we subbed him off in a dead game that we were winning? Yeah I'm alright thanks. People need to stop thinking ex-footballers know everything.

Caporegime
You mean from Scholes? Who thought we were selling Fred because we subbed him off in a dead game that we were winning? Yeah I'm alright thanks. People need to stop thinking ex-footballers know everything.

Alright so you don't want to listen to Scholes, how about Neville, Parker, your own manager?

Parker: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/man...parker-centre-half/1mjdhv4kw7ifj1rij8ittzsegf

“However, their most pressing priority is a centre-half. Manchester Cityseemingly pipped United to sign Nathan Ake for £40 million and that is good business, particularly in comparison to what was paid for Harry Maguire.”

OGS: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...n-ake-centre-half-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-498149

Commiserating with Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake after the final whistle, Solskjaer said: “We need a left-footed centre-back, so keeping going.” His comment was picked up by BT Sport’s audio and has been widely shared on social media, which will no doubt lead to some awkward questions at his next press conference.

Neville: https://www.football365.com/news/gary-neville-pinpoints-five-signings-man-utd-need

“They have to sign a world class centre-back. For me, another midfield player. I also think a right winger, a centre-forward and you have to look at left-back because of Luke Shaw’s injuries and the fact he has obviously been in and out of the team in the last two or three years.

Which is pretty funny as he's saying United basically need half a team. You're right though, we should definitely stop paying attention to ex players who played in the game for the majority of their lives and should start listening to people on forums and the likes.

Caporegime
As I said, ex players are wrong ALL THE TIME. And the OGS one he simply says (light heartedly as the article pointed out if you bothered to read it) that we need CB reinforcements, which I've said all along. It doesn't say anywhere that we need a world class starter. And as an aside as you keep insisting we do, who then? Who is available that would improve us?

Players =/ Managers. Which of those players you've listed have been successful managers? Neville flopped. Parker has done nothing, same as Scholes. People overvalue their opinions so much these days. Try and use your own brain to evaluate football instead of regurgitating snappy headlines from clickbait websites and you might learn something.

Caporegime
As I said, ex players are wrong ALL THE TIME. And the OGS one he simply says (light heartedly as the article pointed out if you bothered to read it) that we need CB reinforcements, which I've said all along. It doesn't say anywhere that we need a world class starter. And as an aside as you keep insisting we do, who then? Who is available that would improve us?

Players =/ Managers. Which of those players you've listed have been successful managers? Neville flopped. Parker has done nothing, same as Scholes. People overvalue their opinions so much these days. Try and use your own brain to evaluate football instead of regurgitating snappy headlines from clickbait websites and you might learn something.

The point is United need a centre half, you don't think you do, but you do. The fact you think you don't suggests to me that you literally know nothing about football and want to suggest I learn something? Open your eyes, all you have to do is watch the games and you'd see for yourself that a centre half is needed.

You can posture and pooh-pooh ex players all you like, they've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.

As for who, why not go all out and try to get Koulibaly in?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Koulibaly would have been fine a few years ago, but signing a 29 year old CB on a huge fee would be stupid. I'm not convinced he's a good fit with Maguire either.

You can go on idolizing former players if you want, but there is a big difference between knowing how to kick a ball around and managing a team. That is why so few ex players become successful managers.

I'm sure you, a non United fan know a lot more about what we need than someone who watches the vast majority of our games. That makes perfect sense. For whatever reason you seem to have a bit of a bone to pick against United.

Caporegime
I like to have a laugh at ex pros when they say silly things as well, but at a certain point if they're all saying the same thing you have to consider who's actually right.

My family are from Manchester and a large % are United fans, I'd actually like to see them do better than they have been recently.

Man of Honour
Apprently the sheer number of messages our fans sent to him contributed to his disicion to join :D

I'm excited at the prospect of having a half decent back line, hopefully Gabriel and Saliba hit the ground running. Now get Cebellos and Partey sorted and we might have something resembling a decent squad for the first time in ages.

Caporegime
What ever happened to that other Gabriel that Arsenal used to have at the back? You Arsenal fans have to be hoping this chap turns out a bit better :p

Edit: Seems back to La Liga. He wasn't very good IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom