Summer weather thread 2024

Soldato
Did anyone see The Met Office post on X about how May was the warmest on record?
They got ratio'd massively by idiots who didn't understand what was being said, and they must have been right cos they had the heating on.

It was quite embarrassing the level of stupidity on display there.

Great, warmer average in the night when 95% of us are a sleep. Nice one....

Caporegime
UK warmest. It was skewed a bit by cloudy mild nights, but still correct for the whole month.

Ha yes. It definitely wasn't the warmest day in day.

Remember clear skies often means warm days and cold nights.
So overcast will bring that average up.
And overcast it has been.

Associate
Edinburgh forecast for the rest of the week and well into the weekend is basically a high of 15 degrees and showers almost everyday. Absolutely ******* sick of it to be honest. I've been steadily saving on a flat deposit and making good strides but if the Summer doesn't improve then I'll need to take a week off somewhere in Europe for a tiny bit of cheer.

My partner and I were having the exact same talk last night. The last time we had a holiday was 2019 as we're slowly saving for a deposit. We're tempted to use all the interest made in the last 12 months to go somewhere warm at the end of the year.

On another note it's 16.4c in the room I'm currently sat in. I've switched off the heating so that it can't be triggered. My mood is worsening with each passing day of this 'summer'.

Last edited:
Associate
My partner and I were having the exact same talk last night. The last time we had a holiday was 2019 as we're slowly saving for a deposit. We're tempted to use all the interest made in the last 12 months to go somewhere warm at the end of the year.

On another note it's 16.4c in the room I'm currently sat in. I've switched off the heating so that it can't be triggered. My mood is worsening with each passing day of this 'summer'.
You've got to make the sacrifice to get that house, how are you managing to save as people think it's not possible nowadays?
Our main room is normally at about 20°C now but one day it did dip to 18.5°C.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Edinburgh forecast for the rest of the week and well into the weekend is basically a high of 15 degrees and showers almost everyday. Absolutely ******* sick of it to be honest. I've been steadily saving on a flat deposit and making good strides but if the Summer doesn't improve then I'll need to take a week off somewhere in Europe for a tiny bit of cheer.
You can guarantee that if you do book a week somewhere then it will be the exact same week there will be an unexpected heatwave in the UK.

Soldato
PXL-20240611-115725668.jpg

I took this photo about 30 minutes ago, it's the 11th June today.

This "lake" has been here since early December.

15 years I've been here I've never known this field to flood like this, and there are many similar patches like this in the farmers fields around here.

Soldato
Sod's law, finally fitted my 50mm rim carbon wheels to my bike yesterday afternoon, that have been sitting in the box for just over 18 months (long covid, aero wheels only make a real difference at approx 18mph+, would have been beneficial this time two years ago)...

And we've had unforecast rain showers yesterday evening and this lunchtime! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
If the sun is the be-all-and-end-all in life, move to Spain..

This was the view walking outside my parents town house:
vLEChx7h.png

And weather forecast from Friday:
KAf8sVCh.png

It's not all amazing, but definitely if I could setup the perfect existance, I'd be over there during winter/spring/autumn but definitely want to pop back to Blighty for Summer..

My dad had 3 heatstrokes and often popped over to see me for a week weeks and had a holiday back in the UK for some cooler summer weather!

Back
Top Bottom