Summer weather thread 2024

Soldato
I'm just gonna call it now. This is the ******* summer I've witnessed in my lifetime. Can't but help wonder what the negative effects this is having on the likes of hospitality, farming, depression/mental health, vitamin d deficiencies.
Absolute trash summer. I can't remember one being this bad. Definitely having a negative impact on me. Less cycling time, less time in the garden. The feeling when I get up, look outside and see drizzle and grey skies... so depressing.

And then every miserable day which passes, I sense that we get one day closer to autumn and winter. Which, for me are the most awful seasons. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Absolute trash summer. I can't remember one being this bad. Definitely having a negative impact on me. Less cycling time, less time in the garden. The feeling when I get up, look outside and see drizzle and grey skies... so depressing.

And then every miserable day which passes, I sense that we get one day closer to autumn and winter. Which, for me are the most awful seasons. :(

Fellow SAD sufferer? This summer has been quite tough and I'm actually dreading winter.

Caporegime

I've got to go out on my bike or board or something this weekend. No matter how bad weather is. Definitely hurting my mental health this lack of sun.

I'm busy in background working on emigration as I believe with climate change this is only going to get worse and worse. Ie less and less summer. Warmer winters and cooler summers and just more rain.

Its ridiculous spending over 6 months resenting the weather of a year only to have what would be summer be basically autumn.

Associate
Its ridiculous spending over 6 months resenting the weather of a year only to have what would be summer be basically autumn.

That's what I don't get with the warmer weather haters. This country is between cold and cool 95% of the year yet you complain about the 5%? Imagine what it's like for the people that enjoy proper summer weather!

I've enjoyed 4 days so far this year. Think that'll increase over three next few weeks? I don't. So that'll be 4 days out of 365. :(

Soldato
Na it's been trash. It's so cool humidity isn't even a factor.

depends where you live. we hardly had any rain for few weeks only once during the day which didnt last long and 2 nights when it rained
currently Humidity is 80% and yes I can feel it when outside even if the forecast is saying its 18c

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
depends where you live. we hardly had any rain for few weeks only once during the day which didnt last long and 2 nights when it rained
currently Humidity is 80% and yes I can feel it when outside even if the forecast is saying its 18c
18 might not be cold, but it isn’t warm enough for the height of summer

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's what I don't get with the warmer weather haters. This country is between cold and cool 95% of the year yet you complain about the 5%? Imagine what it's like for the people that enjoy proper summer weather!

I've enjoyed 4 days so far this year. Think that'll increase over three next few weeks? I don't. So that'll be 4 days out of 365. :(

There have been good days. I look back at my picture library and may I believe was probably one of the better months
But July.. What would be nearly peak summer has been dire.

Its gotten to point that if you aren't flexible you will feel summer is non existent.
By that I mean if you have a rigid work + out of work life (you can't do things randomly) you may not get to see the sun all month.
Yesterday evening was lovely. But I had a prior commitment and I resented it. It's been the only nice evening this week. And was also the only evening I had that commitment. Many people have a much more restrictive schedule than me.

We are at the point where you might get one evening in 2 weeks that's nice. And if you can't grab it.. That's it all for weeks.

This makes it much much worse. I remember much longer stable weather than we have had last few years. Obviously this isn't block and white. And we had that great wave not long ago.

This also makes booking UK holidays nigh on impossible if you want for weather (plus cost of it).

I miss the old cold dry winters and warm dry summers. Now it's autumn weather (gloom and damp) 75pc of the year.

I notice I need so much kit when I'm outside. Because you just can't predict even one days weather.

I've been on my kayak less times this year than I have fingers on my hand. A huge part of that is this unpredictable weather.

Grim!

I'll add.. What really hits home is thinking "that's a year written off".. Added to.. "****, I'm 38,i haven't got many good years left". That for me is literally depressing. That I'm burning valuable time living somewhere that is opposite of what I like. Most of that's on me. I should have emigrated years ago. Not got myself tied down in the UK just by "going with the flow".

Last edited:
Soldato
Fellow SAD sufferer? This summer has been quite tough and I'm actually dreading winter.
Not really got to the point of diagnosing myself with it. But elements of it are certainly there. October is fine, it usually makes a nice change from a hot summer. The likes of those we had during COVID. I'm normally sick of Autumn by the end of November and can't wait for the spring. But this year I can see it just being one long 10 month Autumn/Winter.

Soldato
I'll add.. What really hits home is thinking "that's a year written off".. Added to.. "****, I'm 38,i haven't got many good years left". That for me is literally depressing. That I'm burning valuable time living somewhere that is opposite of what I like. Most of that's on me. I should have emigrated years ago. Not got myself tied down in the UK just by "going with the flow".
Pushing it aren't you if you want to emigrate. You need to get on with it...

Caporegime
Pushing it aren't you if you want to emigrate. You need to get on with it...

Oh yeah I know. It may not happen. But nothing left in the UK really with how bad things are. But yes I may run out of time and have to live with it.
Especially with nhs and state pension. If these things aren't available.. There's literally nothing to stay for. Financially or otherwise.

There may be options with my employer soon. But really I need to do it proactively. This involves plugging my cv gaps (in progress) and researching if my career is viable to emigrate (in progress).

Tbh, I think it's more unlikely to happen than not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom