Summer weather thread 2024

Another crap day. It was okay this morning, fairly warm, a few spells of sun. I'd planned to go on the bike this PM. But it has just started raining. Absolutely sick of this. Should have gone out this morning in hindsight.

Back home and it's lovely (home and weather) feel I need today after a 15 HR journey back from Yorkshire (M5 blocked, bad crash so puts things in perspective, crappy Skoda overheating )

IMG20240713142132.jpg

If all them hurt now how do you cope for rest of the year when it's colder ?
Because in Winter it’s expected and I can adjust the heating as necessary. The thing with old fracture areas they ache when cold. In winter you expect the cold. In July I don’t expect to boost the heating back to 22c and have to wear a baselayer which keeps shoulders warm and fleece lined pants.

Exercising more helps, but gets a bit tedious heading out in 8c and persisting it down and having to put winter gear on. The few months of dry and dusty trails means I’m not degreasing and relubing my Mountain bike chain like over winter.

Because in Winter it’s expected and I can adjust the heating as necessary. The thing with old fracture areas they ache when cold. In winter you expect the cold. In July I don’t expect to boost the heating back to 22c and have to wear a baselayer which keeps shoulders warm and fleece lined pants.

Exercising more helps, but gets a bit tedious heading out in 8c and persisting it down and having to put winter gear on. The few months of dry and dusty trails means I’m not degreasing and relubing my Mountain bike chain like over winter.

That's interesting I'm fine with temperature at 17-18c it's what I find comfortable, that's what it's been here 17c - 20c most of this summer

Even so you still get sufficient from the sun even behind the clouds :) how do you survive the colder months? If it's so important?

You can only get vitamin d from the sun March through September in adequate amounts. Outside of that the sun simply isn't high enough in the sky. If you don't store enough vitamin d for the winter months you've got a chance of ending up deficient, which I have done in the past.

I've been barely active outside this year compared to others. I imagine that's the case for other people. It's the reason I haven't stopped taking my vitamin d supplement this summer like I usually do.

You can only get vitamin d from the sun March through September in adequate amounts. Outside of that the sun simply isn't high enough in the sky. If you don't store enough vitamin d for the winter months you've got a chance of ending up deficient, which I have done in the past.

I've been barely active outside this year compared to others. I imagine that's the case for other people. It's the reason I haven't stopped taking my vitamin d supplement this summer like I usually do.

Pretty sure I got enough of it today , even though the sun was mostly behind the clouds could feel the sun's warmth

I don't track if I have enough sun etc and seem to do fine don't feel any different between the seasons health wise I always believe the body can adapt it's an amazing machine, exercise + good whole foods are the main things for good health

Last edited:
That's interesting I'm fine with temperature at 17-18c it's what I find comfortable, that's what it's been here 17c - 20c most of this summer
17 to 25 is fine. But it’s starting off Sunny at 17c then dropping to 10 during the afternoon when it rains. Used to ride through winter on the motorbike but I had a heated vest, grips and wore multiple layers.

Think my shoulders are sensitive as my right has had two traumatic fracture dislocations and shoulder Impingement syndrome is a long term effect. And my left got a clattering in January from a car accident. And cold makes me tense up and it pulls them out of natural position so they ache.

Back
Top Bottom