Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Associate
so should I bother taking tiny does of BCAA's of EAA's such as 4g/day or, considering my 220lbs body weight, just forget about it as there will be little to no effect?
I've got an ok-ish diet, planing to introduce a milk protein shake at midnight because I usually get up hungry in the morning, and BCAA's seem to be the next thing on my improvement list.

Obviously I'm not expecting mahoosive effects, but should I bother or not?

Soldato
I had a few good years with Reflex Creapure Creatine Monohydrate, got some great gains in both mass and strength. But in the end just made me feel bloated so stopped taking it!

dun

dun

Soldato
Protip: Unless you LOVE after eight mints then DO NOT order whey from myprotein in choc mint flavour. Oh dear, from the reviews I was expecting quite a light taste not this super sweet nastiness.

Man of Honour
OP
so should I bother taking tiny does of BCAA's of EAA's such as 4g/day or, considering my 220lbs body weight, just forget about it as there will be little to no effect?
I've got an ok-ish diet, planing to introduce a milk protein shake at midnight because I usually get up hungry in the morning, and BCAA's seem to be the next thing on my improvement list.

Obviously I'm not expecting mahoosive effects, but should I bother or not?

Such a small amount is just not worth it I don't think. At your weight I'd be aiming for at least 15g pre/post - but first thing AM or pre bed is also a good idea.

Man of Honour
I do take a fair few supplements. And I do notice a difference. I'm in the mindset that if you can afford them and you're serious about them, go for it. That's not to say I cut corners on my diet, I definitely don't.

I take each day -
BCAA powder, 25g a day (pre workout, post and before bed)
Creatine, 5g a day (pre workout)
Omega 3 caps, 8 a day
Protein shakes, 2 a day (breakfast and post workout)
N.O Xplode (only take this on days I'm feeling very tired, absolutley amazing for energy, maybe once a week or something)
Taurine - Before bed, helps me sleep like a baby, 8 hours solid sleep a night

Then the following minerals/vitamins tablets: Green Tea, Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Multi-Vit tablet,

I understand some people might think thats excessive, but I've seen good gains from it, feel great everyday, great recovery and solid energy levels in the gym. I'd probably lose very little if I stopped, but I don't want to lose that little, and that lot only costs me about £20 a month tops

Soldato
ok, thank you. was thinking about the same thing, but 15grams/day is not within my student budget unfortunately. :(

Have you seen the EAA's on myprotein? which also contain the same amount of content of BCAA's that I've been taking. Might be worth having a look and doing the math. I'll be switching as for an extra £2 (over what im currently paying for BCAA's) a month while it's not a massive amount of EAA's it's some.

Associate
yes, did have a look at that.
you said it's and extra 2 quid a month, the things is that if I were to take even 9caps/day (which wouldn't be a great dose for me anyway :( ), i'd still spend another 24 pounds/month which is about the same with what I spend with my whey/casein/creatine+NO booster/glucosamine/cod liver oil at the moment.

Associate
a friend had it and it tasted horrible(tried it myself).
you're better off buying from bulkpowders.co.uk, or www.myprotein.co.uk ( use MP161701 for 5% off) and also getting a box of nesquick from tesco. throw in a teason on each shake.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and it's cheaper and a lot better quality protein. ;)

Man of Honour
OP
In terms of quality I think most people mean the amount of horrid sweetners they put in. The only "difference" I'd take not of is the amino acid profile, however to be honest, they are much of a muchness. However, I would only buy from a reputable company - some have higher carb contents, some have less protein per gramme etc...

Associate
by quality i understand the amount of protein per 100grams (bigger is better)
and the amount of fat per 100grams (lower is better). :D

and also the things that Freefaller said. Poor quality sweeteners, and the "sand" texture that is left on the bottom of the shaker.
Taking into account that both bulkpowders and myprotein sell it cheaper and also have certificates of analisys for them, makes it a pretty easy choice imho.:D

of course there is no real difference between bulkpowders/myprotein and any other high marketed wannabe "top brand product". but nutrisport ain't that good I'm afraid.

Soldato
Thought I'd dig this up.

Chap I normally go to for whey & blend powders has stopped stocking the BCAA's I normally buy. I can get the same thing at bulksupplements direct for around the same price.

I said to him I was prepared to spend x amount and what would he recommend? wether it be more/better quality food or a different supplement. We chatted for about half an hour and ended up talking about pump products.

He's a big fan of Phd products and half his shop is just a giant wall of it. Currently the whey & blend I'm using is Phd. He mentioned that they're putting BCAA's and L-glutamine etc into most things and that with a decent enough diet I'm probaly getting enough BCAA's.

He explained briefly how the pump products work and the benefit of them. I've got two samples of Phd V-max Pump to try next week. Decided I'll have a back session on Wednesday and legs on Thursday and see if I notice a difference.

http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/44/1/V-Max-Pump--800G.html
He is selling nearer to half of the RRP, so ignore the price and just have a look at the contents/breakdown.

I was curious as to peoples thoughts on pump products? If you've used them? and what you think of them?

Please only reply with useful posts and reasoning. Not just 'they're pants' with no explanation as to why you think that.

Cheers

Benny C

Man of Honour
Nitric oxide supplements induce hemodilation, which widens the blood vessels in your muscles. This means better blood flow, and more nutrients to your muscles. Which in turns mean potentially faster recovery, and potentially better and faster gains in mass

Personally, I used N.O Xplode and found it to be amazing, which is why I continue to use it. I'd go for that instead of the one you linked to. Pump products should be just that, pump products. I don't know why that is including protein in it, but it's probably why it's so expensive. Go for N.O Xplode or Superpump 250

Last edited:
Soldato
Nitric oxide supplements induce hemodilation, which widens the blood vessels in your muscles. This means better blood flow, and more nutrients to your muscles. Which in turns mean potentially faster recovery, and potentially better and faster gains in mass

Personally, I used N.O Xplode and found it to be amazing, which is why I continue to use it. I'd go for that instead of the one you linked to. Pump products should be just that, pump products. I don't know why that is including protein in it, but it's probably why it's so expensive. Go for N.O Xplode or Superpump 250

Thanks for that :) He has a range of BSN in including N.O Xplode and also Superpump 250 too. I'll ask him why he recommended the Phd. He doesn't try to sell people things people don't need and is genuinley trying to be as of much help as possible. I'm sure there's a reason.

Could you describe the effects for me? Obviously I know what pump feels like. Did it happen quicker? Last longer? More intense? Was the build up of acid/cramp better/worse?

Man of Honour
My energy goes through the roof for a start, those last few reps are that tiny bit less of a struggle and workouts are just generally a lot more intense. I take it 40 minutes before a workout, and by the time I get in the gym I really feel it

Plus my vascularity improves and my arms look great :cool: They are well worth the money if you're happy to spend that little bit extra a month

Soldato
My energy goes through the roof for a start, those last few reps are that tiny bit less of a struggle and workouts are just generally a lot more intense. I take it 40 minutes before a workout, and by the time I get in the gym I really feel it

Plus my vascularity improves and my arms look great :cool: They are well worth the money if you're happy to spend that little bit extra a month

Sounds interesting :cool:

I've not had a chest session in ages, and have been doing a full body split. I suppose it'll be hard to see an improvement as I've not been doing said routine for a while.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Phd V-max Pump samples, hopefully he has some N.O. Xplode ones too.

Soldato
Well...

Berry blast flavour was very tangy. Gave me a kick up the arse just drinking it!
By the time I got the gym I felt a little different but could have been anxiety/excitement/placebo.

Didn't see a great deal of difference in my lifts, though found pump came a bit quicker.

After some warmup flyes, bench and incline I still felt pritty fresh. Destroyed myself with dips, and then things began to get a bit easier. Pec-fly became easier, and I did some insane drop-sets on the chest press and pec-fly machine, followed by some tricep kick backs, DB skull crushers, pushdown with Z bar and ropes. I did a lot, probaly to the point of over training, but I wasn't even tired which is a bit dangerous!

Dropsets gave me an insane pump, I never get much shoulder pump with a chest session but I couldn't take my headphones out of my ears. My arms blew up to 16.5" from just under 16" and chest 46" from 45". Slightly bigger pump on my arms, and not much bigger on my chest, but it was fuller for definate. Arms are still killing. Measurements taken about half an hour after training.

A very useful tool I think. Deffinatley gave me a bit more ooomph.

Steedie, do you cycle this as you would with creatine? or is it okay to take continually. I ate very well today too as I didn't want to rely on it soley for energy. Do you need to take a week or 2 off after each tub? or is it down to preference?

Back
Top Bottom