System build guide

Associate
OP
Isn't the picture of the fan in post 2 reversed? The air should blow out the back usually where the sticker and wires are.

Yup you are right. I've drawn the arrow round the wrong way, not sure if I did this in the original guide or just this updated one. I will fix it now, well spotted ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a question, how do you remove thermal paste which is already applyed to the CPU Cooler when it's bought? And when you apply new thermal paste such as Arctic 5 Silver, I've seen on some guides you need to spread it yourself but you said not to?

Associate
OP
I have a question, how do you remove thermal paste which is already applyed to the CPU Cooler when it's bought? And when you apply new thermal paste such as Arctic 5 Silver, I've seen on some guides you need to spread it yourself but you said not to?

You can remove thermal paste with abit of kitchen roll and water, although I use a citrus based cleaner which just removes it abit easier.

Some people seem to spread the paste around, others just leave it a dob in the middle and let the force of the cooler do the work. Not sure which is better if any. I just do the dob in the middle as its a lot easier and once ive removed the cooler it has shown to have spread out anyway.

Associate
Just starting my own system, and although its AMD this will help a lot. Only ever built one once before when i was younger, and everything seems very similar except SATA and two power cables for GPU :)

Associate
Greywolf - one word describes you - LEGEND.

On my first build and have followed your 'how to...' for the intel like the bible - has worked so far (bar a couple of differneces but thats to be expected when using a few different parts.

Once again thanks for the great advice in the how to.

Associate
Superb guide!

One question: I would usually try and get the GFX, CPU, memory installed in the mobo, then get them to the POST stage before installing everything in the case, to make sure I had no DOA items. I appreciate that there is some risk here in terms of components in an unshielded environment etc - just wondering whether others do this as well, or am I just a little insane?

Associate
Mario1984. remove the link to competitor.

If the motherboard has enough PCIE slots. One for each card, then yes it would fit. If it is worth it I doubt it as I am pretty sure all GTX 470s have physX enabled. Can anyone confirm?

Achitophel. I think in general this is a great way to check things out. Even if you just post then put everything in proper. I think it is worth the while and I will be doing it on my next rig.

Last edited:
Associate
Superb guide!

One question: I would usually try and get the GFX, CPU, memory installed in the mobo, then get them to the POST stage before installing everything in the case, to make sure I had no DOA items. I appreciate that there is some risk here in terms of components in an unshielded environment etc - just wondering whether others do this as well, or am I just a little insane?

Definitely not insane. I work in an anti-static lab at work and just as a matter of course we POST as soon as possible to make sure the base layer all works, nobody wants to cpomplete the build to find something, somewhere is DOA. We've seen waayyyyy too many parts fried from careless handling

Great guide, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom