Tabletop Warhammer?

I base miniatures before painting if I'm using sand. Glue the sand/ballast to the base and undercoat the model once the glue's dry, then paint the base using a dark basecoat, dry brushing lighter shades, then patches of grass if needed. I've always painted the edges of the bases green though. :p

I have three grades of ballast/sand. I put some superglue on the base and spread it with a piece of card before dipping it in my tub of fine sand. Once dry i put superglue on a smaller area and put medium ballast on and gradually build it up to make a small mound.
Once i'm happy i prime my model Grey normally and go from there.
Painting the base i coat a dark brown (Charred Brown Vallejo game colour) then dry brush highlights. For my Big Mek i used water effects around one foot then once dry i coated with Sepia wash to give it a muddy look.

Hmm- good stuff. My real issue is with painting the stone/ballast though. It's sandy coloured and if I paint it a muddy brown I need to use water to loosen up the psint, which makes the Pva run.. pita :p
I'll manage i guess

Hmm- good stuff. My real issue is with painting the stone/ballast though. It's sandy coloured and if I paint it a muddy brown I need to use water to loosen up the psint, which makes the Pva run.. pita :p
I'll manage i guess

Use superglue instead. If it's still too loose try putting more superglue over it to hold it in place. Works best before you prime it though.

I hate using super glue tbh. I'm more included to glue my hands to the model than anything.
But I do see how it would rock- I'd imagine the extra texturing it offers is pretty good too.

My ballast isn't sand, it's like... the GW stuff, only cheaper, but harder to paint using GW basecoats.

I hate using super glue tbh. I'm more included to glue my hands to the model than anything.
But I do see how it would rock- I'd imagine the extra texturing it offers is pretty good too.

My ballast isn't sand, it's like... the GW stuff, only cheaper, but harder to paint using GW basecoats.

You have to wait until the glue's dry first, once the glue is dry and you've undercoated (I prefer black undercoats) you should have no problem with the PVA and painting.

You have to wait until the glue's dry first, once the glue is dry and you've undercoated (I prefer black undercoats) you should have no problem with the PVA and painting.

That's what my g/f said too. But even after a couple hours drying time it still molts. (I water down the paint for basing).

Being that she is an art buff, she reckons it's **** Pva. Recommends Tesco's own brand- so will be giving that a blast this weekend.

*edit*
Very nice eldar :D

Currently taking a break from painting units & working on getting some scenery done. Bought my self a Witchfate Tor, Tower of scorcery at the weekend. Have got it all built (as much as I can any way) & am currently painting it.

Managed to get an extra level on the tower using the ruined all sections, it will look like its been hit by several cannon balls or other artillery.

263288_10150245032646491_667311490_8115900_2998874_n.jpg

all the parts

188212_10150245033456491_667311490_8115913_5003442_n.jpg

close up of the main body

253364_10150245034661491_667311490_8115931_4585820_n.jpg

Ladders, floors, ruined walls & stair cases

284839_10150245036491491_667311490_8115959_8382380_n.jpg

intact section, this will be glued on top on the main body

225655_10150245033821491_667311490_8115919_1886214_n.jpg

Tower top. This won't be glued on, giving access to the inside of the level below it

283842_10150245037681491_667311490_8115991_5791317_n.jpg

Precariously balanced assembly. It will be a lot more sturdy when completed, but need to paint it in bits so i can get the insides to paint them

Yeah, I have my own little nerd cave set up. Got all my gaming stuff in it, PC, games consoles & a perminently set up gaming table. Currently working on a couple of fanatsy armies & a new table & scenery.

I'm thinking of picking up the manor house kit for some scenery when I've got the tower done. Looks like you get a decent amount of stuff in there for the price

Always wondered about Warhammer, I just dont understand how the game is played.

Is it a simple or complex game? Where in the uk are games held? I dont have a games workshop anywhere near me I dont think.

Thanks

Always wondered about Warhammer, I just dont understand how the game is played.

Is it a simple or complex game? Where in the uk are games held? I dont have a games workshop anywhere near me I dont think.

Thanks

I've never played Warhammer Fantasy if that's what your asking about. I have watched some friends play it and it seems much more tactical than Warhammer 40k. The magic phase itself seems like a lot of fun with the way dispelling works. Which is one of my main reason for starting a Fantasy army this month.

I would recommend going checking the Games Workshop website and seeing what's closest to you. You can ask if there's any gaming clubs closer to you so you can check it out.
The only problem with the Games Workshop stores this time of year is that they're full to the brim with kids all day, hard to move around and check out products. But it is handy if you want to learn how to play.

The new graveyard looks pretty nice too. Looks like too much for a small graveyards, but spread out over a table, will look win imo. You should throw up some pics of your set up :p

Pics will be posted when I've had a bit of a tidy up. The place is a total mess at the moment, bits boxes everywhere, books & models all over the place etc.

Got me the manor house set today along with some paints, so get to have some fun tonight starting to build it. looks like there are a ton of options with it, so will have a play around & see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom