Tabletop Warhammer?

Been a few years now, but I have built a fair bit of forge world stuff in the past, Baneblade, shadow sword, various leman rus variants, necron pylon, lightening fighter, thunder hawk, some of the BFG ships & few of the scenery bits. Old gaming buddy loved forge world stuff, but couldn't build to save his life lol.

Best advise would be no different to a normal kits really, take your time on the clean up, test fit everything before you apply glue, if possible pin joints & have a load of green stuff on stand by.

Finally got round to finishing off the wizards tower tonight, all its needs is a bit of minor touch ups (where I slipped with the glue on final assembly) & some static grass & flock on the base & a few bits on the model for wear & tear etc.

198799_10150257788266491_667311490_8251696_7713935_n.jpg

excuse bad phone pic, gaming tomorrow, so will get a better pic of it on the board in day light

Been a few years now, but I have built a fair bit of forge world stuff in the past, Baneblade, shadow sword, various leman rus variants, necron pylon, lightening fighter, thunder hawk, some of the BFG ships & few of the scenery bits. Old gaming buddy loved forge world stuff, but couldn't build to save his life lol.

Best advise would be no different to a normal kits really, take your time on the clean up, test fit everything before you apply glue, if possible pin joints & have a load of green stuff on stand by.

/snip

Why do you suggest having loads of green stuff ready? Are the FW kits badly made?

I ordered the Carmine Dragon and Mannan's Blades command and unit...

Why do you suggest having loads of green stuff ready? Are the FW kits badly made?

A few of the kits have small gaps between joints, need green stuff to cover it so they dont look bad.

Also its very important to clean the kits in some warm soap water as the casting process for FW kits leaves a coating of some kind on it that needs to be washed off before painting and glueing.

I thought i'd plug my mate again and show off his latest Golden Daemon UK 2011 entry. I have asked him to signup and show the stuff off himself as i think people here would enjoy it, but he's not had a chance yet.

Catachan Platoon Command, that's his whole Work in Progress thread and the final pictures at the end. He brought it over to show me a few days ago and it's amazing.
I really can't wait for September at the NEC, going to be a great day! Anyone else planning on going?

Bin the "greenstuff" and get some miliput, especially if you're doing vehicles. A lot of games workshop type of modelling is extremely inefficient. I still can't understand who thought it'd be a good idea to get everyone to use an epoxy putty that dries in to a waxy rubbery surface that's never actually hard, and use that to fill seam lines on vehicles, where you'll have to sand it down as well.

My bretonnians rampaged ythrough a lizard man army this afternoon. think I'm starting to get to grips with the rules again thankfully, there was very little rule book referencing compared to last weeks game.

Have tweeked my army list though, needed more magic in there & had a couple of units that just did nothing. Was nice to see me back on old form, with the horses killing more than the knights in most rounds of combat lol. Now I just need to get them painted.

I never really understood this type of hobby. I just don't see what you "do".

Have fun planning, assembling, painting, playing with the models, working out strategies on the fly and trying out tactics, being sociable with friends...

A lot of the reason I do it is because it can be great fun playing with friends, especially with some of the quirkier armies (Orcs are always good for a laugh*).
Some people play it much more competitively and are more about the winning, others are more about the planning the armies, painting or planning out a campaign for others to play.

Think of it as a bit like a multi-player turn based strategy game, but with sprites you've created yourself:p

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to painting again, I haven't touched my models in over a week as we had to redecorate the downstairs loo.

*Next time I play someone with orcs I'm probably going to use some Duke Nukem dice:p

For me its also a creative outlet. Sure I can sit and play COD for 6 hours like anyone. And do. But seeing pieces of art on the battlefield is immeasurably rewarding. More so than the battle itself..

Then I see things like that Catachan Platoon Command and realise I've aways to go.

For me its also a creative outlet. Sure I can sit and play COD for 6 hours like anyone. And do. But seeing pieces of art on the battlefield is immeasurably rewarding. More so than the battle itself..

Then I see things like that Catachan Platoon Command and realise I've aways to go.

Indeed. Seeing a battlefield brought to life on the table top is immeasurably better than seeing it on a PC screen. I have now started to really focus on it again, more so then my gaming on the PC, will have my AOP done in a couple of weeks, ready for judging on 10th September and an entry into Golden Demon for it for winning gold at my store...well we can all dream can't we?

Had a 3K point game at my local yesterday, me and a ginger kid teamed up with 1.5K each and 500 magic points against an Ogre army of 3K points and 1K magic. Was fun to say the least, and my Empire army had the mot remaining at the end, lost the outriders and both Chaos Spawns, but everything else survived, and I'm still new :P.

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

that's my opinion on people getting smashed every weekend but it doesn't affect their perceived enjoyment of it.

I enjoy the complex multi-tiered nature of the hobby, the quiet me time where i can plan, assemble and paint some well sculpted figures whilst listening to some good music, watching a film or reflecting on the events of the last few days, then I can display them and impress not only those involved in the hobby but generally speaking those not involved, or interested in any way, and finally I can flex my mind a bit by learning the rules, implementing strategies which take in to account both my armies strengths and weaknesses as well as my opponent's, factoring in the degree of luck and coming out with viable tactics, all the while having a laugh with a few mates. It's quite a social hobby when all said and done.

anyway, more vossies;

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

Indeed. Seeing a battlefield brought to life on the table top is immeasurably better than seeing it on a PC screen. I have now started to really focus on it again, more so then my gaming on the PC, will have my AOP done in a couple of weeks, ready for judging on 10th September and an entry into Golden Demon for it for winning gold at my store...well we can all dream can't we?

Had a 3K point game at my local yesterday, me and a ginger kid teamed up with 1.5K each and 500 magic points against an Ogre army of 3K points and 1K magic. Was fun to say the least, and my Empire army had the mot remaining at the end, lost the outriders and both Chaos Spawns, but everything else survived, and I'm still new :P.

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Thought I recognised that shop fellow Crawley towner ^^

after finding this thread and doing a little research i have decided that im going to start collecting again after 7 years.
i have made my mind up that rather than building an army i have not tried before (which doesn't leave me with much of a choice) i will stick to what i know and ressurect my old 40k imperial guard steel legion army with the addition of a gaunts ghosts unit :D

:eek: i just forgot how pricey they are :(

Back
Top Bottom