Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
New Tools:
x1k30x.jpg

Associate
I'm just about to start playing 40K Chaos after watching my mates play a lot of games. I have a tight budget though so mostly buying from ebay and planning to paint myself.

Do you guys know anywhere online that gives you what colours to use for each chapter? I can find chapter details with pictures of colour schemes but find it hard to know what paints to buy.

Caporegime
First off all the Chaos are still legions (although rarely if ever fight as such) Your best bet is to either ask in here or google the legion name and tutorial. There are plenty of good guides out there but I can't think of anywhere that has all the legions as a painting guide. For Example:

Night Lords - Kantor Blue base, Drakenhoff Nightshade wash, re layer with Kantor Blue then through to Kantor Blue with a touch of Screaming skull or one of the lighter blues. Lightning bolts with an ever whitening mix of white and blue. Red can be based with Khorne Red, washed with Nuln Oil/Agrax Earthshade then worked up again to Khorne red/Wild Rider Red mix. Gold I like using Balthasar Gold to start (alternative would be one of the browns like Skrag Brown) then either drybrush or carefully highlight with Gehenna's gold. I then do several careful washes (slightly watered) with Agrax Earthshade) before picking out the edges in a bright gold then a mix of gold and silver (I think it's Auric Armour Gold and Runefang Silver in the new range)

What legion interests you?

Associate
Best suggestion is to not paint to a predefined scheme for your first ones. Especially with Chaos where you have so many options to do your own thing. Buy the colours you like and make up your own. Much better as you won't compare your own models to ones that have been painted by pro's and become potentially disappointed (depending on skill level).

I would also suggest not buying Games Workshop paints, brushes, tools or anything but models. Their stuff is not always the best quality and you can get better for your money.

I would suggest Vallejo paints and Rosemary & Co. brushes to starters. Vallejo paints have a huge range and can match most colours in GW range but you get 50% more paint for your money in a better style dropper bottle that gives more control and stops it drying out in the pot.

On a more progress related note, nearly finished a Carcharodons commission. Just 5 more marines, 7 bikes and 3 characters to finish! Hopefully done over this weekend.

Associate
I used to collect 40k blood angel space marines when I was at school 15 years ago. I was looking at the games workshop website a few months back and noticed everything is now plastic. The majority of my army was metal the dreadnoughts weighed a tonne. I'm not sure how many points I had total but off hand here's a few of what I had: rhino and predator tanks (predator had a hunter killer missile), 1 blood angel bike squad, commander Dante, death company, 2 dreadnoughts with various different arms, x amount of normal blood angels.

We used to have an after school 40k club once a week our td teacher was in to it. He used to bring his in and have battles with us too.

Associate
It's a shame really I had a few plastic models but in those days it was just the cheap squads you could buy that were plastic. I remember the dreadnoughts were £20 each plus extra for the different arms.

Me and two friends were debating about starting to collect again. Would keep us off the xbox on Saturday afternoons haha.

Associate
What is best for paint stripping plastic miniatures? I'm sure this has been asked time and time again but I'm on my phone and don't fancy trawling through almost 300 pages! I've heard brake fluid can be good, sounds a little harsh to me?

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom