Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
It should be okay for a first setup. The compressor doesn't have a tank (as far as I can tell) which means as soon as you start airbrushing the compressor will fire up to give you the air. Personally I would prefer one with a tank as I feel you get a more constant supply of air; as the compressor fills the tank when it gets below a certain pressure rather than the compressor needing to run as soon as you press the trigger on your airbrush. I think you get a more constant flow of air using a tank, the air flow may feel slightly stop/start going straight from the compressor (but this is just my opinion and for a starter setup this if probably fine).

Have you considered a CO2 tank and regulator? The benefits of a CO2 tank are that it's absolutely silent, apart from the sound of air coming out of the airbrush. It is probably cheaper but you obviously have to get it filled up when it's empty, it can last months however (depending on size and amount of use). It depends when you will do most of your airbrushing and whether anybody may be sleeping or mind the noise because all compressors are loud in my experience, even ones claiming to be 'silent'. You also don't need a water trap (which you get on the compressor you linked by the way).

You may not be able to airbrush fine detail with a 0.35mm needle but for base coating it will be great, and you may be able to do large parts of colour on a model with some masking or good control of over spray - probably fine for the vehicles you're doing.

You should thin your paints for use with an airbrush. I would either use Vallejo Model Air (designed for an airbrush), or thin them with AirBrush Medium - Liquitex is great. Don't use water because it thins the concentration of pigment in the paint and it goes wishy-washy. Medium thins the paint (think the difference between milk and water) without separation between the pigment and water. Similar to painting in that multiple thin layers are better than a single thicker layer but you probably do this already.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Ok, so I'm looking for a tank setup, which is fine depending on price. As said, I don't want to spend too much; this isn't in addition to painting I already do, it's where I'm starting from.

Are there brushes with interchangeable nozzles for different applications?

Soldato
You can get brushes that will take multiple needles/nozzles, but you generally have to buy those kits separately. Iwata, Harder & Steenbeck and Badger all offer them, though not necessarily for all models; usually, the cheaper ones don't have any available.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
After watching some painting tutorials and examples online, one thing has struck me; how do you decide whether to pre-shade before or shadow/hi-lite after the base colour?

Associate
So far I'm not liking these 7th edition rumours that are going about. Being able to ignore the foc is going to be a problem I feel. Sure you get a bonus for using it but I doubt they can balance it properly. The argument is always "yes but if he can't score then you have a better chance of winning" not if I'm facing an army of nothing but Death Stars I won't because I'll be wiped off the table!

However the mission cards I like with the objectives being able to change each turn. Really keeps everything exciting.

I've not finished painting a lot of stuff yet and I'm not going to untill I see how it's going to play from here on.

Associate
I suppose it depends on what the bonus is for following the FoC/the drawback for not following it. If it gives an army wide 'everything can score' then that all of a sudden opens up a lot more options (especially with heavy support/gunline oriented armies). I agree though, dont fancy facing an entire army of deathstars.

The psychic phase rumors sound interesting too, though effectively just copying fantasy in that regard

Associate
2nd ed 40k had a psychic phase as well I think. Even everything scoring wouldn't be enough I don't think. I think it's going to be a case of no one using the foc and just nothing but Death Stars, FMCS and super heavies. I'd like to be wrong but I feel it's going to go further away from being balanced when what they needed to do was reign it all in somehow

Soldato
quick question on high elves with the new codex. whats the current rules with their always strike first, do they just always strike first or do they strike first and get to reroll all their misses aswell? i remember them being able to do that in 7th edition. Secondly if a unit of high elves is affected by a banner than causes always strike last do they lose always strike first or do they lose always strike first and become always strike last.

i assume that they still get to reroll their misses and gaining always strike last just makes them attack in initiative order with no rerolls on their misses?

Associate
They just have regular always strikes first now, so no more free re-rolled misses, plus great weapons are initiative order. :(
So now, an always strikes last banner cancels out the strikes first and attacks are initiative order, in the 7th ed elves always struck first regardless.

On the plus side, now pretty much every unit attacks with an extra rank, not just the spearmen.

Last edited:
Soldato
They just have regular always strikes first now, so no more free re-rolled misses, plus great weapons are initiative order. :(
So now, an always strikes last banner cancels out the strikes first and attacks are initiative order, in the 7th ed elves always struck first regardless.

On the plus side, now pretty much every unit attacks with an extra rank, not just the spearmen.

high elves with great weapons that strike in initiative order? what is this madness you speak of :D:D

yeah ok so standard High elves without great weapons strike first with re-rolls and high with great weapons just initiative order. what happens if swordmasters that have always strike first and always strike last due to great weapons get charged by e.g. ogre mournfangs with a banner that causes always strike last? i assume nothing changes as they already have always strike last and it doesn't stack

Last edited:
Associate
New start set contents rumours

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
Blood Angels
-Captain with Jump Pack
-Tactical Squad (10)
-Assault Squad (5)
-Terminator Squad (5)
-Cybot with Multi Melta and Autocannon
-Sangunary Priest (with Corbulo option)

Orkz
-Ork Boss
-Wyrdboy
-Balla Boyz Mob (10)
-Moscha Boyz Mob (10)
-Meganobz Mob (5)
-Kommando Mob (5)

Seems too many models but I'd be tempted to pick it up. Always fancied blood angel allies.

Associate
What's a cybot? Some kind of dread?

If the format is similar to DV, i.e. full mini rulebook, decent models etc I'll pick up at least one of these. Seems a little too good to be true though! 5 meganobz and 5 termies? :o

Associate
high elves with great weapons that strike in initiative order? what is this madness you speak of :D:D

yeah ok so standard High elves without great weapons strike first with re-rolls and high with great weapons just initiative order. what happens if swordmasters that have always strike first and always strike last due to great weapons get charged by e.g. ogre mournfangs with a banner that causes always strike last? i assume nothing changes as they already have always strike last and it doesn't stack

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it doesn't stack, so they would still strike in initiative order.
Swordmasters got nerfed pretty hard in the 8th ed, a 10 man unit in the 7th got something ridiculous like 15 S5 attacks with re-rolled misses and always strikes first.

Back
Top Bottom