Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I have bits of a few armies. Nothing really painted particulary well as I a crap and impatient.

I have some Orks, Some Space marines, Some Chaos Space Marines, A few nids and now looking at Necrons.

I'm guessing you prefer to collect and paint rather than play the game or do you play a bit as well?

If it is just a painting project, then IMO there are better armies to paint than Crons but I guess this is subjective as everyone likes different things about 40k armies. If you were going to play them as well then Crons would certainly be a good shout.

I had quite a large Skaven + Orcs & Goblins armies but my mother threw them away when I moved out as she didnt think I would want them anymore :(

Ouch :(

Commissario
So there are rumors that the next 40K Campaign Set will be Raven Guard vs Tau. I tend not to read the rumors too much and wait for stuff, but I'm thinking of starting my next new army soon and top of my list is Tau, so hoping these rumors are true!

@Werewolf - Looking forward to seeing your nids as you progress, have you got a full list of the models for the project?

@Woogie - Go on, you know you want to :p:D;) What armies do you already have?

OOOh, a raven guard vs tau set could have me interested...although I've already got loads of tau (much of it not fully painted).

I'll try and post pictures, but I'm a slow painter :)
I haven't got a full list but from memory it's
2x carnifexx
Hive tyrant
Winged hive tyrant
2x brood lords
Trygon
6x warriors
3x primes
40 gene stealers
about 40 termigants
about 30 hormagants

Basically two lots of the "sheild of baal" nids, plus a bunch I bought cheap a few years back.

Due to the time I've got I'm probably just going to take the smaller stuff to 3 or 4 colours and washed but not highlighted.

Associate
Despite me looking to sell my Necrons they are a good army. And really easy to paint if you want the classic silver look. If you just want a slow unkillable army supported by fast moving heavy hitting units they do that really well

If you want basic tabletop quality, undercoat spray black, 2-3 coats of silver sprayed only from above (i.e. the cheap-n-speedy highlighting method) then pick out weapon chambers/eyes type details in white and go over with your highlight colour of choice (glowy green being the default choice).

If there's a 3-colour army rule in play, maybe go over the weapons with a different metallic colour?

Associate
I did army painter primer plate metal, nuln wash, Necron compound Drybrush. Weapons are black and then pick out eyes and piping in moot green. Pretty quick and easy. Just don't really enjoy 40k anymore. Fully focused on my Ogres for fantasy and really hoping the new rules don't suck

Soldato
I'm guessing you prefer to collect and paint rather than play the game or do you play a bit as well?

If it is just a painting project, then IMO there are better armies to paint than Crons but I guess this is subjective as everyone likes different things about 40k armies. If you were going to play them as well then Crons would certainly be a good shout.

Ouch :(

Definitely more for the fun side of things and just to paint.

Im tempted to go for a black/red or Black/Purple theme if I did instead of a the standard Silver/Green.

MUST RESIST!!!!

Commissario
I may have gone a little mad yesterday (I went to Salute*), picked up another 12 termagants, and because I couldn't find it at any of the stalls there, ordered a Hive Crone/Harpy, a trio of Hive/tyrant guards and some Venomthropes.

I also picked up a rather nice little revolving paint brush stand as well.

*Got home and spent about 18 hours sleeping, so my decision making after getting back may not have been the greatest :)

Soldato
Oh man, we should have had a OCuk meetup at Salute!

I picked up the Alpha Legion limited edition model, a Deredeo Dreadnought, some Salamander Pyroclasts, a pieces extra pieces from Battle Systems, some Antenocitis Workshop terrain acessories and some weathering powders.

And then joined everyone in the pub to compare models. :p

Permabanned
A Raven wing vs Tau starter set would be brilliant. I only enjoy painting, not playing, so would give me a nice selection of easy to paint (Tau) and nice looking models!

Soldato
Just been back about 8 or 9 pages. Some people are scary good at painting! I haven't played WH in over 20 years and I have never been artistic or able to paint. It fill me with much sads, lol, but it is what it is.

I bought a Skaven army a long long time ago - back in the mid nineties I think, with a bell thing and a doom wheel (I think thats what it was called) and loads of other stuff.

Sat in the cupboard unused as I never got around to building or paiting it. I will have to ask my parents if it is still at their house stowed away in the cupboard in my old room.

How much it is to get up and running with a small army enough for two people and the codex these days? Back when I was playing it was about £50 for the codex alone. Thinking I might try and give it a go and see if the wife wants to play (she likes cards / board games etc etc). Can you still buy a WH / 40k boxed game as a starting point? I seem to remember I did that originally.

Soldato
I believe the Codex are about £30 and then models start anywhere from about £5 up to £90ish I believe :(

Yes you can still get the starting box sets.

Dark Vengeance for 40k http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Vengeance-EN

Island of blood for Fantasy http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Island-of-Blood-UK

I actually started watching the Warhammer TV Painting tutorial videos and they are insanely helpful and give a very good explanation on how to actually paint the models. I would recommend people taking a look at them and it is surprising how easy it is to get some of the effects I thought would be way beyond my abilities (They probably still are lol)

Soldato
I believe the Codex are about £30 and then models start anywhere from about £5 up to £90ish I believe :(

Yes you can still get the starting box sets.

Dark Vengeance for 40k http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Vengeance-EN

Island of blood for Fantasy http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Island-of-Blood-UK

I actually started watching the Warhammer TV Painting tutorial videos and they are insanely helpful and give a very good explanation on how to actually paint the models. I would recommend people taking a look at them and it is surprising how easy it is to get some of the effects I thought would be way beyond my abilities (They probably still are lol)

Thanks for those links, I couldn't seem to find those from the main page :(

If I did still have my Skaven army somewhere knocking around, would it still be usable under todays rules? Even though I think I would prefer the 40k side of things, if I can find out my Skaven army it would save me a fortune.

A few pages back there is a picture of a massive two legged robot thing - what is that? I want to buy one :eek:

EDIT - I am referring to this post HERE

Last edited:
Soldato
Forge World is either owned by GW or has the licences to produce them.

GW appear to be making it very difficult for independent companies to get anywhere selling their models by limiting stock orders and in some instances not even allowing them to have limited edition models

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys. I was just wondering why FW are relatively far more expensive?

Some of the scenery sets look great but its proper wallet breaking! lol

I have text my parents to see if my Skaven army is stowed away at their house (my old Megadrive is with like a gazillion games, so you never know :p )

Commissario
It's expensive because of the material used (resin), the level of detail in the models and the relatively-low production runs.

Aye, with a lot of FW kits they do very very small production runs, and some of the models might only sell a few dozen (if that) a year, so it's better to have small runs than sit with them taking up room for months.

IIRC for some of the larger/more expensive and rarely bought kits they basically run them off as and when you order. I can't remember the details but I'm sure one of my friends who was visiting the gaming hall ordered something at the shop in the morning and they cast it so it was ready at the end of the day.

I've got a few of their kits, including a brass Scorpion that once I get some time and practice in with the Airbrush will get made up.

Back
Top Bottom