Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I have been watching the how to paint videos on the GS website that are part of the Dark Vengeance boxed set. It's a guy called Duncan Rhodes and he makes it look soooo easy! lol. All joking aside they are great vids for someone like me :)

I have heard air brushing mentioned. How does that work then? The instructional vids I have just been watching use a spray can for the black base coat and then just brush applied paints / washes etc for the rest of it. Can airbrushes apply paint in such a sub 1mm perfect way?

Soldato
Not really. Airbrushes are better for basecoating and large models. Some of the smaller-sized needles can do some detailing work if you've got a steady hand though.

If you're just starting out, don't worry about airbrushes. :)

Soldato
Well I heard back. Apparently I binned the lot when I left home :(

Hundreds of pounds worth went to the tip.

Oh well. Not sure what I was thinking but I do remember being ruthless when I left home and I binned a ton of stuff.

Commissario
Aye airbrushes are good for large models, base coating and batch painting, but nothing to worry about if you're just starting/restarting.

We got ours because of time/energy constraints, and the idea that they would make it easier to do lots of models/large models and it's taken about 5 years for us to really start using them properly* (I'm a very very slow brush painter, and it's working out that I'm doing basecoats about 5-10x faster with the airbrush than by hand).

If you start doing a lot of say tanks, or models that are primarily one colour a cheapish airbrush kit can speed things up massively, but it's a fairly big expenditure if you're not going to get a lot of use out of it.
One thing that is worth noting re the cost is that can be partly offset by things like a £12 200ml bottle of airbrush undercoat outlasting loads of £7-10 cans of spray undercoat (and for some colours there are undercoats that will act as a good base colour - Vallejo do about 12-15 different undercoat colours now in 200ml bottles, (and Ultramarine blue, bright red, bone, leather etc from memory that are currently only available in the game air 16ml bottle).

*I think we've spent about £1000 on our setup over the last 5 years, which includes 4 good brushes, good compressor, extractor unit, protective face masks (you should really use a face mask whenever using spray cans).

Soldato
I have been watching the how to paint videos on the GS website that are part of the Dark Vengeance boxed set. It's a guy called Duncan Rhodes and he makes it look soooo easy! lol. All joking aside they are great vids for someone like me :)

Yep those are the videos I mentioned yesterday. He makes it look so easy that you cannot imagine being able to get it wrong doing it yourself. I never realised just how simple it was to get some of the affects (Blending the 3 colours together on a Maggoth lord)

Associate
The only thing I, well, don't like about Duncan Rhodes. Is, well, he always adds an unnecessary 'well' into most of his sentences. And, well, I end up waiting on the next 'well' rather than, well, watching the painting.

It really annoys me no end, to the point where, well, I end up not watching the videos.

Oh also he doesn't seem capable of smiling, he just does some of weird pursed lip :| kind of smile. Just don't bother if that's all you can do.

Associate
So my holiday has so far been spent getting engaged and playing relic everyday. Opinion on relic is that it's a lot of fun but once one player goes into the inner tier they seem to win. Maybe that's just what happens when playing with two. Got one scenario to do tomorrow and then play our favorite again on Sunday.

Associate
The only thing I, well, don't like about Duncan Rhodes. Is, well, he always adds an unnecessary 'well' into most of his sentences. And, well, I end up waiting on the next 'well' rather than, well, watching the painting.

It really annoys me no end, to the point where, well, I end up not watching the videos.

Oh also he doesn't seem capable of smiling, he just does some of weird pursed lip :| kind of smile. Just don't bother if that's all you can do.

Ha!

Now you come to mention it those videos will never be the same

Commissario
I went a bit mad between Campaign and Salute and ended up buying another 12 Hive Guard, Hive Crone, Termagants, a Tervigon and Tyranocite.

Some of the smaller nids I'm currently working on (there are another 15 in the dark red undercoat).
gauntsgants3stages.jpg

I've also got 40 or so Genestealers of which half are done to the third stage, and 9 warriors/primes.
My plan is to get out to the garage again this week and undercoat the Crone, and Carnifexes etc ready for further spraying.

On a related note, a single pot of GW mephiston red mixed with about 3-4ml of Vallejo thinner (to make it suitable for spraying), has currently done 47 guants/gants, 40 Genestealers and 9 warriors/primes, I think there is enough to do at least another half dozen or so guants/gants, which is really nice in terms of economy.

Permabanned
Anyone have a quick guide into painting some Vampire Count Skeleton Warriors? My mate bought me a box to paint up for our up and coming DnD Game but I don't have time to spend 2 hours + on each model!

Associate
quickly i would try something like

White undercoat, Ushabti bone base layer, wash with agrax earth shade (may need one or two) for the bones.
for metal black base layer then silver or brown then bronze.

maybe add the oxide technical paint to metal to age it a little. the new technical range is pretty good for quick effects.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Never tried the technical paints before, will get a couple of them next time I walk by.

Any tips for basing as well? As that really makes models look great. Ideally looking for a fitting base, like a dungeon or something but will settle for the normal grass if its easier!

Associate
For skellies I'd recommend seraphim sepia over agrax. I used to always use agrax but I now find seraphim far better for the wash. If you really want to speed it up get some army painter bone primer spray that wash and done. For the rusty weapons I'd recommend agrax after the Typhus Corrosion and ryza rust combo otherwise the rust is far too bright. Ive seen it done that way and that's how I'll be doing my rusty gnoblar weapons.

On the other side of things the sale of the Necron Army is going well so I'll probably end up picking up mechanicus stuff this weekend. Pretty much all rests on the battle servitors being aces as those are brilliant models. Held off doing mechanicus when skitarri came out as I'm not sold on the tank or the walkers(I have seen people use the walkers successfully but the cost per model puts me off) however the look of all the cult mech stuff combined with some skitarri foot troops should be great

Associate
1z5lxyf.jpg

nwkhhz.jpg

Been working on this Avatar model the past few weeks :)

I threw myself into the deep end, as its been over 15 years since I've painted a miniature. I had to re-learn how to use the new Citadel paints, which was a lot of fun to be honest.

I'll be working on the head today.

Last edited:
Associate
So 40k has been put to the side recently, most of my Flesh Tearers force is Painted, just a few details to finish off and some bits left to magnetize.

Managed to get a group of friends to start collecting and playing necromunda!!

I've been play for years now, got a huge collection of models, but had never touched a Delaque or Escher gang. This is the work so far :)

E1CcD5B.jpg

XwQrYqV.jpg

HuPkY4Y.jpg
Still some work to do on the face here, but most of the model is done.

3lKRcPj.jpg

GUoGaG9.jpg

tVph97w.jpg
Waiting on an order with a heavy and the leader to arrive, but this is the rest of the gang.

LFSvmnk.jpg
And the Escher all lined up, I've painted 3 models since this photo, will add them in a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom