Tabletop Warhammer?

Really nice avatar indeed, the sword looks awesome!

I'm still painting up a few fantasy orks for my DnD sessions, taking like 2 hours each and they still look like crap. Is it really just practise thats going to help? Or should I really be watching some videos and such. I just can't seem to stay in the lines so to speak. Heck, so much so that I've organised to do a website for a guy in exchange for him painting 6 of my DnD miniatures to a decent standard.

Also, thinking about getting a couple of 500-750 point armies of 40k just to have so I can play at home with someone, any one have any recommendation of armies that work well at that level?

Really nice avatar indeed, the sword looks awesome!

I'm still painting up a few fantasy orks for my DnD sessions, taking like 2 hours each and they still look like crap. Is it really just practise thats going to help? Or should I really be watching some videos and such. I just can't seem to stay in the lines so to speak. Heck, so much so that I've organised to do a website for a guy in exchange for him painting 6 of my DnD miniatures to a decent standard.

Also, thinking about getting a couple of 500-750 point armies of 40k just to have so I can play at home with someone, any one have any recommendation of armies that work well at that level?

Practice makes perfect (Well maybe not perfect, but better!) it's taken me 6 months to get back to any standard of painting, some great channels to watch on youtube -

Miniwargamming - They have some good tips and tricks from time to time.

GirlPainting - Has taught me a lot the last few months, really takes the time to explain everything

Will link some more in a bit.

Not to sure what to suggest on the small 40k army front, I'd played quite a few games at 800 points with my tau and enjoyed that, but I have always played at the 1850-2000 point region.

Am subbed to miniwargaming so will give them a look for tutorials. All though the problem I come across is that I always seem to need more paints, so can't carry on with the tutorial. I then get bored and just paint them with what I have and forget to get the extra paint!

I would love a couple of 1,500 point armies, but the shear cost of models would mean I would need to rob a bank. Maybe I just need to wait for another starter box set that takes my fancy as they are well priced.

Anyone that hasn't should check out the Painting Buddha youtube channel. They have the highest quality painting vids I've seen. They also do a subscription service for a flat fee that accesses even more vids. The guy that runs it is a real credit to the community and it is great value for money.

I purchased a IG Cadian battle force set a few years back which I partly started but never finished. Got a few paints and accessories too.

Not sure if it’s allowed on this forum, but if anyone is keen on giving them a new home to finish please send me a trust.

Thanks for mentioning that painting channel, just looked and it's really in depth!

After I'm finished with the Avatar I may have a go at the Nightbringer Necron model, or maybe a primarch.

Finished up a commission Knight for a friend of mine. Basic pic:

Lots of blends and soot/weathering on the carapace/exhausts added after pic with a custom house coat of arms etc.

Looks brilliant! You used an airbrush? Looks damned smooth!

Only tiny bit of criticism is that the flamer (or mega melta, whatever its called) I think needs less blue on it.. Like the blends you've done need to move nearer the end like.

Other than that, a nice basing and your away! Looks great.

Thanks. Think the blue is overexposed in the pic and isnt as blue as far back in RL. That said first go at heat effect so will keep working on it. Need a camera other than a broken iPhone! Basing is done by the owner. He didn't pay me for that bit so I leave them as is. All the armour is airbrushed as once I got used to it it makes it easier, quicker and gives a much better finis than brush. Got 1 more knight to match colour scheme and a 3rd to do as a freeblade so will be busy with knights for a while!

Is the heat effect done with the airbrush?

I'm love to get an airbrush, but I know my normal brush skills ain't even table top yet, so would just be wasted money until I can learn to get to a decent standard with a brush.

Infact, I "finished" a model for my DnD campaign, a Wight King from Fantasy. Was done following some tutorial on-line, and I'm moderately happy with it.

NBKHr4w.png

Yeah, its just about table top standard, but it/only/ took me 2 hours... considering these orcs took me the same amount of time (2 hours EACH!), it's not that bad. I think I am getting better (orcs were done before the Wight King!).

C2MJnEu.png

Last edited:
I think I am up to book 10 perhaps of the Horus Heresy, brilliant reads! There are a couple of duff ones, but its great to have such a long connected story!

I plan to go back to the books after I am doing with the Mistborn series from Brandon Sanderson.

yeah the heat effect was airbrushed. most of the model was tbh. took about 12 hours total. shooting a matt coat tonight and will try for proper pics later tomorrow or weekend. going to try my luck at getting the odd paid commission outside of friends so need decent pics taking.

yeah the heat effect was airbrushed. most of the model was tbh. took about 12 hours total. shooting a matt coat tonight and will try for proper pics later tomorrow or weekend. going to try my luck at getting the odd paid commission outside of friends so need decent pics taking.

I might be interested in getting some models painted if you're looking for commission work. Do you have other photos in this thread besides the Imperial Knight?

I think I am up to book 10 perhaps of the Horus Heresy, brilliant reads! There are a couple of duff ones, but its great to have such a long connected story!

I plan to go back to the books after I am doing with the Mistborn series from Brandon Sanderson.

I enjoy collecting the HH novels but they seem to be bringing out more and more digital books and audiobooks instead.

I do have other ones in the thread. There are some Carcharodons and Legion of the Damned plus various pics of my own Tau. Let me get some more pics up and decide what I want to do. I don't claim to be award winning show quality but if you are happy with what you see we can probably work something out :)

I do have other ones in the thread. There are some Carcharodons and Legion of the Damned plus various pics of my own Tau. Let me get some more pics up and decide what I want to do. I don't claim to be award winning show quality but if you are happy with what you see we can probably work something out :)

That sounds good - I have daemons at the minute but I'm starting an Eldar army if painting those has any appeal?

I've not collected/played in about ~ten years. However (I literally very rarely drink) I had too much to drink a few nights back and guess what was delivered yesterday morning :D.

I'll throw some pictures up in a while.

Back
Top Bottom