Tabletop Warhammer?

Caporegime
I looked at it but in the end...it's just more Space Marines. I've pretty much painted enough of those for a lifetime! I'd like to do a contemptor one day but the set one doesn't look that great, I'll probably get a Forge World one at some point.

Soldato
Yeah, I guess they're designed to be used in 40K too. In Horus Heresy, tactical squads are just bolted guys (10-20 models!). Tactical support squads are smaller squads where all models must take the same special weapon. Having ten meltagun marines riding around in a Rhino is deadly. :)

Ah right ok, quite interesting as I guess it changes the way you would use in 30k to how you would in 40k in terms of not having that heavy weapon slot within the tact squad, meaning you also need to think about how you place and use the support squad with all special weapons. I like the sound of a full squad of melta's rolling around in a rhino jumping out and popping armour left right and centre :p

Element are usually pretty good.

I'm sorely tempted by the new set but can't justify it at the moment (I've overspent in the last month due to my motherboard dying, then an external drive failing about 2 weeks later).

ah man that's a shame :( I always find that GW release things at the wrong time in terms of other expenses. I managed to sell some stuff which has basically paid for this box so lucky in that sense.

Associate
I'm tempted to buy it for the models, not fussed about the game itself. Though that said, Ive still got plenty of marines to finish as it is without adding more to the pile. I do like this model though:

01-01.jpg

May have to pick one up if it appears seperately on the market site

Soldato
It's a game in itself isn't it? So the set is designed for that. It just happens that many will use it for 30k too.

Yes it is a complete game in itself, but from reading on Dakka and some other places, it seems most are looking to use them either to boost a 30k army, as an addition to a 40k army, or as a way to get into 30k. I'm in the above categories myself :p

@Brabbinho He is a really nice model, I'm sure there will be a few on the market site but single figures that are box exclusive do go for quite a bit. You should just treat yourself :D:p

Associate
I looked at it but in the end...it's just more Space Marines. I've pretty much painted enough of those for a lifetime! I'd like to do a contemptor one day but the set one doesn't look that great, I'll probably get a Forge World one at some point.

I had a look at the set on saturday in store, amazingly they are not snap fit models :O so you can pose the dred as you like.

I was tempted to get the box, then I stopped and though I don't want to start a space marine army at this time, from what my local store manager said they will release this in box sets, so we won't be able to pick up a squad of Mk IV space marines when we want, so its going to be a sizable investment to expand (this is just from what he told me and that was just what he deciphered from GW).

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I was tempted to get the box, then I stopped and though I don't want to start a space marine army at this time, from what my local store manager said they will release this in box sets, so we won't be able to pick up a squad of Mk IV space marines when we want, so its going to be a sizable investment to expand (this is just from what he told me and that was just what he deciphered from GW).

That's primarily because Forgeworld produce all the 30k stuff, and as such they won't want to step on their toes too much producing similar stuff in plastic.

Also from a GW business sense, they know that these boxsets will sell incredibly well as has been proved by the last few they have released (Deathstorm and StormClaw campaign boxsets). I don't think there has been one that hasn't sold out (possible exception is the Assassinorum Execution box but then that may not have been limited release, can't remember now). So for them to keep releasing bigger boxsets, especially around 30k which is very popular, is a good call for them making money!

Last edited:
Commissario
We've got one, but have been in the process of making a new one (in four 4x2 undercupboards + top) for a while.

If you're making a permenant one it's well worth making it with plenty of under table storage, preferably with adjustable shelving and doors of some kind, that way you can store models and scenery under it when they're not in use.

Associate
Black Spray Paint

Hi all, what do you guys use to base coat black models?

Looking to paint some small models and need to get hold of some decent black base coat.

Chaos Black from GW seems quite pricey? Any shops that sell some decent stuff for under a tenner?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom