Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Man these Skitarii have a lot of detail on them. Makes for good practice I suppose but a bit of a learning curve, especially as I've gone for a black and white colour scheme. Managing one dude a night at the moment! 5 down, 5 to go then I'll treat myself to the dunecrawler I think.

Soldato
Anyone in to the books at all? I got the first 10 Horus Heresy books in a bundle a while ago and I'm working through them, any other recommendations for the main books to read to get up to date with the rest of the fluff?

Soldato
Yeh have to agree, everything I've seen so far is looking really good. Also I've been really impressed with GW and the turn around they've had with all things social media, interaction with the player base etc etc. Hopefully its a positive sign of things to come.

What did you go for?

I got the dark vengeance set as was going for dark angel army and a space marine start collecting kit plus paints. Forgot how soothing painting was and how hard it is. Need to get my eyes tested though as I can bearly see close up.

Associate
Anyone in to the books at all? I got the first 10 Horus Heresy books in a bundle a while ago and I'm working through them, any other recommendations for the main books to read to get up to date with the rest of the fluff?
Not for fluff, but the Ciaphas Cain novels are still the best series in the setting in my opinion.
Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin series are great for a look "behind the scenes." Shira Calpurnia series too, as it focuses on the exploits of a single member of the Adeptus Arbites.

Soldato

I got up to book 31 and sort of gave up. I don't like the way Games Workshop pushes you into either the hardbacks or the big soft backs and you have to wait a couple of years (Pretty much) for the smaller paperbacks. I find the Black Library website difficult to find the books I want - or pushes you towards the expensive options or high margin options.

I will probably buy a few more but I tend to buy from Amazon as it's just easier/quicker to find the next book.

Soldato

I can't get my head around the Primaris Marines.

I sort of understand, from a business and realism perspective (they're proper Space Marines in size), but next to old models I can't help feel they'll look odd. I mean, it's not like Calgar or Tigurius or Sicarius or any existing character will get bigger. They'll look weird next to these monsters. Where does it leave Terminators or Centurions (or whatever they're called).

I think my delve into PriMarines will be with an entirely new force, if at all. The models look great (apart from the assault marines).

I enjoyed AoS when first introduced so need to give 40k 8th a shot as well.

Associate
I can't get my head around the Primaris Marines.

I sort of understand, from a business and realism perspective (they're proper Space Marines in size), but next to old models I can't help feel they'll look odd. I mean, it's not like Calgar or Tigurius or Sicarius or any existing character will get bigger. They'll look weird next to these monsters. Where does it leave Terminators or Centurions (or whatever they're called).

I think my delve into PriMarines will be with an entirely new force, if at all. The models look great (apart from the assault marines).

I enjoyed AoS when first introduced so need to give 40k 8th a shot as well.

GW have said there will be a large amount of other minis to follow this release, including Dreadnaughts and Terminators. I kind of like the new Marines, and they've also hinted that normal Marines can go through the transformation to the new type, so maybe they'll re-boot a few characters (or kill a few off).

Caporegime
GW have struggled for years to find models for their main market (space marine players) to buy. Most of their playerbase has an army by now so they don't need to buy much each release. Hell it got to ridiculous levels last edition where they just shoved Centurions into the fluff.

Solution! Super Space Marines! Coming soon Super Assault Space Marines, Super Devastator Space Marines, Super Terminators, Super Dreadnaughts! :p

I'm currently reading through the 'end times' books so I'm not sure how it's done in the fluff but it sounds ridiculous.

Soldato
GW have struggled for years to find models for their main market (space marine players) to buy. Most of their playerbase has an army by now so they don't need to buy much each release. Hell it got to ridiculous levels last edition where they just shoved Centurions into the fluff.

Solution! Super Space Marines! Coming soon Super Assault Space Marines, Super Devastator Space Marines, Super Terminators, Super Dreadnaughts! :p

I'm currently reading through the 'end times' books so I'm not sure how it's done in the fluff but it sounds ridiculous.

There is a book coming out with the new edition so that might have some more explanation into the whole Primaris situation. The general consensus that I've seen around the bazaars at the moment is that the fluff currently supporting them isn't particularly good.

However to support that, a YouTuber I watch made a very good point that when the original ideas of the Horus Hersey came about, the very early fluff was awful and the stories rubbish and the majority of hobbiests hated the idea of internal fighting within the Space Marines however look where that has climbed to now. It's still very early days for the Primaris so I think people writing them off purely based on some early bits of fluff is premature.

Personally I'm in the hobby for the painting, collecting and gaming aspects, I do enjoy the fluff and read some of the books however for me it's about the miniatures and for me these look really very good!

Caporegime
I love the fluff, try and read a lot of the books (although that is getting harder with the quantity they release now) I think the problem I have with it is that 40k has shown the Imperium to be technologically in decline, more interested in tradition and religious doctrine than new technologies. A lot of the old technologies have been lost and yet suddenly they can make these super marines? It just seems...jarring with what has been established.

I'm really interested to see how they handle Guilliman coming back into an Imperium that is so opposite to what his father (and himself) would have wanted. I hope they address that.

Caporegime
From what I've read, the mechanicum have been working on them in secret for 10000 years, lead by that Belisarius Cawl guy under instruction from Guilliman at the end of the heresy.

Far fetched does not begin to cover it.

Soldato
I'm kind of wanting to pick it up again as my son is showing a little interest but as a bad painter at the time (I have no patience) and now the detail on the models it's blinking daunting!

Plus as a lore fan I'm kind of miffed at how much they merrily butcher it for the pounds and pence, they have no morals at all when it comes to the opportunity to turn a bigger profit.

Soldato
I painted a thing!

Barring a couple of paint blobs when I was a kid and a couple of test Skitarii to check the colour scheme this is my first proper paint job, pretty happy with it.

FEV9MV.jpg

Now on to the Knight!

Soldato
I painted a thing!

Looks great man! Good work on the base too. I'm painting some Skitarii for Armageddon - just a team of 10 - and am enjoying them a great deal. Although all little armour bits are fiddly as hell.

Unrelated. Here's a great bit of 40K nostalgia - the 1st edition launch - for anyone interested. The artwork is the ******:

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/

It makes me feel old!

Back
Top Bottom