Tabletop Warhammer?

Man of Honour
Where do you guys buy your kits from? Me and lady nitefly are thinking of starting up some armies and need to start from scratch. Buying from games workshop direct seems to be 20% more expensive than elsewhere. I like supporting shops but meh does seem artificially expensive instore.

Quite like the look of the mechanicus stuff :)

Caporegime
What about brushes?

I’m thinking of a black and white paint scheme for the gangs (it at least one) again what should I be looking at for a full paint scheme of that?

As well as gun colours as well

Brushes I like the Rosemary & Co series 33. Some people seem to like the Army Painter ones but I haven't used them myself. Broken Toad set is also very good.

Black and white I like the P3 paints, Coal Black is a great 'near black' paint and the Menoth white paints are good for that warm white. Gun colours, you mean metallics? I use the Scale 75 metallics set for all my metallics but both P3 and Vallejo do excellent metallics as well.

Send me a photo of the kind of colours you want to achieve and I'll try and give you the colours you can achieve it with.

Soldato
What about brushes?

I’m thinking of a black and white paint scheme for the gangs (it at least one) again what should I be looking at for a full paint scheme of that?

As well as gun colours as well

I currently use the GW set of brushes and for the most part they aren't too bad if you are getting into the hobby. I have a couple of Army Painter ones too but not such a fan of those.

As Shami has mentioned Broken Toad make really good brushes and also Windsor and Newton make excellent brushes but they are quite pricey. As always though if you look after your brushes well they should all last you a long time.

If you want to stick with GW paints, for Blacks you are looking at Abaddon black and then an edge highlight of say Eshin Grey with a top highlight of something like Dawnstone. Never really painted much white so can't help that much there, it's a tricky colour to paint but it can look amazing.

If you are using GW paints I can really recommend the Citadel painting up, it's completely free and you choose what you want to paint either by colour or by model/scheme. It's a handy tool, there are also some great videos on the Warhammer TV Youtube channel as well if you take a look.

Man of Honour
Ooooo nice what did you and your wife go for?

I buy all my stuff from Element Games, however there are a number of other good online stores that do Games Workshop at 15-20% off.
I did indeed go for element games! :)

Dark Imperium
Start collecting Craftworlds (for her)
Star collection Skitarri (sp? - for me!)
Both codex
Various ancillary bumf like dice and mission cards.

Was about £250... still need to buy all the paints! :o :o :o

Soldato
I did indeed go for element games! :)

Dark Imperium
Start collecting Craftworlds (for her)
Star collection Skitarri (sp? - for me!)
Both codex
Various ancillary bumf like dice and mission cards.

Was about £250... still need to buy all the paints! :o :o :o

Oh wow that is a very nice haul indeed! Dark Imperium is a good value boxset if you like what's inside. The Mini's aren't pose-able which is a shame but they are still nice and you get a really good amount in the box. The Deathguard ones are really fantastic models IMO.

Soldato
I haven't got it, but Dark Imperium looks like a cracking boxset.
As above it's a nice boxset, you can't pose the models like you can others so if you bought another DI box then you would have doubles of everything if that makes sense but in my opinion for what you get in the box it's worth it.

The Deathguard models are lovely, the level of detail on them really is excellent. I wasn't sure on Primaris at first but the more I've built and looked at them online etc the fonder I've grown. I've painted a couple now too and I find them nicer to paint than normal marines, however normal marines will always have a place in my armies.

Man of Honour
Thanks chaps! :)

I last played the 2nd edition that came with the orks and blood angels circa 1994. I’m going to nab the imperium forces that come with the box and my brother can have the chaos ones... so I better get Ms. Nitefly some more Eldar :D :(

The rules are much easier and better presented now - DI comes with a very slim 14 page mini booklet containing the main rules AND an example turn putting the rules into practice. You have to refer to the main rules re : deployments and factions etc. I’m pretty sure the booklet is available as an online pdf too.

Still, the explanation of the differences between primaries space marines, other space Marines and, say, blood angels is awful! I presume they are just from different time lines or something. Seems very odd to me that there’s a generic space marine codex AND a specific blood angel codex.

To further confuse matters, DI comes with a sticker set for the primaris, the blood angels, the dark angels etc.... so wtf is that about. The models can be any faction but then why do blood angels have a codex! Very odd - someone feel free to explain :D

Soldato
Still, the explanation of the differences between primaries space marines, other space Marines and, say, blood angels is awful! I presume they are just from different time lines or something. Seems very odd to me that there’s a generic space marine codex AND a specific blood angel codex.

To further confuse matters, DI comes with a sticker set for the primaris, the blood angels, the dark angels etc.... so wtf is that about. The models can be any faction but then why do blood angels have a codex! Very odd - someone feel free to explain :D

Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves have quite a large set of models that are specific to those armies that aren't accessible by others. So for example Blood angels have a unique dreadnought, tank, elite infantry, a few HQ's etc that are specific to them. Therefore they have their own codex that can cover all the additional models that they have access to as well as the standard ones. This benefits GW in that they can sell more marine models (which is the biggest part of their business) to either those who already have a marine army but what something different, or those who want something different to the normal chapters.

A lot of the other core Space Marine Chapters (Ultramarines, Salamanders, Imperial Fists to name a few) only have 1 or 2 unique models (as a Salamander player I get 1 unique HQ) so they don't need their own Codex as they fit into the main Space Marine Codex.

I believe from a lore point of view I believe it's because most chapters are Codex Astartes compliant, and follow the same structure as the Ultramarines of having 10 companies of 100 marines each, and use the same designs for their equipment and armored divisions (i.e their tanks, flyers, dreadnoughts etc.). The Dark Angles, Blood Angels and Space Wolves (and all of their successor chapters) are the only Chapters that are not codex compliant and have greatly divergent organizational structures, unit types and equipment.

I hope that helps :/

Permabanned
Spuj hit the nail on the head with the various different Chapters of Space Marines. The ones that have their own book are different enough to warrant the extra models and stuff from GW.
(The only Chapter that isn't Codex Astartes compliant out of them all is the Space Wolves, who don't have successor chapters..its just space wolves)

Primaris Marines are the "new toys" for the space marines and its thought that its GW's way of bringing "True Scale" marines (space marines are supposed to be like 7ft+ tall monsters). Lore wise, they are faster, stronger and "better" than regular marines and are essentially the 2.0 created by a a borderline heretek Arch Magos from the Adeptus Mechanicus called Cawl. He's been working on them and they are kind of clone troopers in the way they are made (I think).

All Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes have access to them in various different load outs.

Man of Honour
So....I ended spending a ton of money on paints and a few more sets:

Cawl - he was an absolute dog to build!!
Harlequins - troupe and shadowmaster (sp?)
Dire avengers
Also got imperium 2 and Xenos 1 codex so ms. Nitefly can play with the Harleys.

May show some pics if they don’t look total ass when finished :p

Man of Honour
I think this is going to turn into a Nitefly blog at this rate :o

So I’ve assembled the following and have sprayed them chaos black:

Skiitari rangers
Dunecrawler
Cawl (sprayed ledbelcher)
Kastelan robots
Kastelan tech
Enginseer
Tech priest Dominus

The Eldar army is as follows:

Dire avengers
Harlequin troupe
Troupe master
Death jester
Shadow seer
Wraith guard
Wraith Lord
Farseer
Farseer on a skyrunnner

Hopefully now onto some painting and playing! I’m trying to follow the Skiitari Rangers painting tutorial and have done a few coats on the underside of their capes.... my god I should have left them black... my painting frickin’ sucks!! :(

Reading the rules is interesting - the shooting phase is quite equivocal in terms of the order of things but a few YouTube tutorials have pointed me in the right direction. I think it used to be (in 2nd edition) that you had to allocate the units you were shooting at for ALL of your units BEFORE any rolls to hit were made, which made for a much more complicated and strategic game because you may shoot at a model a million times that dies on the second hit, wasting the rest of your shots. Now it seems to be done on a unit by unit and weapon by weapon basis, so you don’t have the problem of ‘wasting shots’.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
share some pics and we can give you some tips!
Cheers mate - think I may have to try and tidy them up first, truly embarrassing at the mo but in the tutorial did say that avoiding getting paint elsewhere for the initial stages is ‘impossible’ so I take some solace with that :D

I’m painting with a small layer brush which still seems too large :(

Not sure if you saw my edit re: the shooting phase. Am I right in saying that you shoot with one unit and resolve all damage before shooting with the next unit? Thanks :)

Caporegime
I'm just a painter these days so I'm afraid I can't help with rules!

They're certainly right that sometimes you don't need to worry about being neat early on, easy to fix up mistakes as you go.

Soldato
Ive ordered a load of paints to come next week and I’m picking up Necromunda the day before they are due to arrive.

Nothing like setting myself s realistic goal so after sucking at painting about 18 years ago I’m starting with this scheme;

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/10/glamming-up-new-house-escher-minis.html Going Morbid Mavens.

I’ll probably practice on the Goliath first but no doubt i’ll Suck terribly and be fed up inside a week :D

Soldato
Not sure if you saw my edit re: the shooting phase. Am I right in saying that you shoot with one unit and resolve all damage before shooting with the next unit? Thanks :)

Yeah, shoot with one unit at a time, declare all weapon targets for the unit and resolve. You can target different enemies with different weapons.

Back
Top Bottom