Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Also anyone else finding some minis just aren't available anywhere other than through gw? In this case I'm talking about things that are fairly common - hellhounds and basilisks! Seem to be gw online only for some reason yet they're kinda mainstays of guard armies.

A lot more stuff sea to be becoming GW webstpre exclusive. Core to a lot of armies but if they don't sell hot off the shelves they tend not to stock or distribute them.

Soldato
Apologies for the poor picture quality, some Marines I'm working on for my son. Made up the scheme myself and pretty happy with it, those models need edge highlighted and obviously four of them need based :p My paint speed has dramatically slowed down with how busy I am at work so going to take forever to finish those, paint 4 more, do a Captain, 10 Hellblasters, finish a dreadnought and do a tank (and that is not even considering finishing off my Nighthaunt army and the 34 models left for that :p)

yXERWLy.jpg

Associate
No1newts, those look great so far. Get a nice contrasting base and it will really make the models pop.

How does everybody store their models? I am getting back into the hobby but will also be moving house soon so need a good secure carry case. May aswell get something I can use to travel to and from Warhammer world / GW too.

Soldato
Apologies for the poor picture quality, some Marines I'm working on for my son. Made up the scheme myself and pretty happy with it, those models need edge highlighted and obviously four of them need based :p My paint speed has dramatically slowed down with how busy I am at work so going to take forever to finish those, paint 4 more, do a Captain, 10 Hellblasters, finish a dreadnought and do a tank (and that is not even considering finishing off my Nighthaunt army and the 34 models left for that :p)

Very nice indeed.

I am trying to figuare what paints to use for my Chaos Deamon army, basically I want to paint them like this:

I am thinking basecoat, either a red, or even orange, something like Hot Orange (72.009)

Wash, Agrax Earthshade (GW)

Drybrush with maybe Cadmium Skin (72.099)

Then final drybrush Bonewhite (72.034)

What you guys reckon?

Soldato
Cheers chaps :)

Very nice indeed.

I am trying to figuare what paints to use for my Chaos Deamon army, basically I want to paint them like this:

I am thinking basecoat, either a red, or even orange, something like Hot Orange (72.009)

Wash, Agrax Earthshade (GW)

Drybrush with maybe Cadmium Skin (72.099)

Then final drybrush Bonewhite (72.034)

What you guys reckon?

I'm not sure what Cadmium Skin looks look but could also try the Pallid Wych Flesh which is a good colour.

Caporegime
No1newts, those look great so far. Get a nice contrasting base and it will really make the models pop.

How does everybody store their models? I am getting back into the hobby but will also be moving house soon so need a good secure carry case. May aswell get something I can use to travel to and from Warhammer world / GW too.

I used to use a box for storing things like screws and nails. Loads of individual compartments that could be padded out with tissue to take 2-4 marine size minis each or 1 larger unit.
Individual compartments could also have their dividers removed to take much larger models.
The only issues tended to arise with tanks taller than a rhino.

Commissario
For model storage I've taken to using really useful boxes, if I put a "paper metal" sheet in the bottom and a 3x2mm magnet in the base of each man size model they're fairly stable when being transported (for large models additional magnets or larger diameter ones).

A 4 litre really useful box will take things like Firewarrors, normal orcs, IIRC stealth and crisis suits, tyranids up to about Warrior size depending on pose, at about 80-120 models per box from memory.
For transport I tend to use KR multicase with foam, especially for larger models, but it works out very very expensive to store a lot of models in KR foam, for the price of on KR case that will hold a couple of hundred troops I can buy a really useful tower that will hold many times that and be easy to pull the right box out of:)

I've noticed a lot of people at the group I go to seem to be using really useful boxes now, as do several of my friends, including one who has literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of mini's as he's been playing for nearly 30 years without a break and has full armies for pretty much everything GW, and loads of historical gaming minis.

Soldato

Some of the older more quality cases can be had on ebay for cheap, I wish I had done that instead of buying one from GW recently, it feels so cheap compared to the old ones.

Associate

As per a couple of others I have been using Really Useful Boxes with magnetic sheet on the bottom and magnets under models. For transport between places I am probably going to look at investing in a Battlefoam bag with MagnaRack system to keep using the magnets. I may also use Magnarack bases at home for storage if I find somewhere to create a shelf to put them on.

Battlefoam products are expensive but honestly I couldn't use foam again. It get expensive in its own right and the sizing is too restricted.

Few more updates of some models of mine done this week. Still mostly WIP.

Production line of basecoating.

y4mmVzzdQzSL35wr9jtgs0U9wUV7TSwY2wSFmbtR35WMzSmMiXLdPBkFfb2pf-GiCsviOa7TGXK5kzOzclf6I1FWEwXpfhqACMgo8rkEer7ARoxeinPPGJBaIuq4fngfH0oDwxuDdpNcH38XGKhdqKq02b0GBvfPSG1TyJBXv6o1MutaS-pD-xA5srgdiMtk7luX0hZaNcv6GA0yjFn-_yrGw

Candy Coat applied.

y4mTnJMAcJbqKDigeyX4B3uWCoo7Vo69YrTo3Qm9B26dLoCGxO9Tp8L4FylF66Vpu74C1FeLp3gAOefAMyvG83yebhz5Y4LTpjTGTkz2nwLbYWCaYgmBtswOLpaIi8Ta4pXPv9sm4qVtvtJURN39jGIrNsmKzS7KOgFZpicbZV_UL4nWpxnz2F-JYUVtxr2eGG72oeBwLACM4FMmWjW_Jgaaw

Adding some colour and basic weathering.

y4mbaeJl2IKSIM1NfzlVE46tHRsQLFayUZF8NNoJpuI5WHweS4rs7UIdSGhwxrDTd5R8veL0RNcR1XJUyl-eUR14kY8N2p2wR3FV2FmVyjZKLnDNPSLF-HIY-H5tjwLsn6rpaziUH5sjQSeXaXuFkTtXI8PzLQCvhUQPiy4JzFeDWd_vGoDRO8Oecs9IzGTf7E4bjQTnnj_aq0NiqsrYL5baA

Triple Cyclic Ion Blaster Commander

y4mXoNAib8Rpb0p0TvzUSS5SLF6Nvqtzace0UoGR97AMsqcHoCjF3Y-tH6x8lJcN97aluFm4fTJ81ZiIo-YU37jdH1exJGx1fQhIh2OsOJu19wpO2Z0JOe5TDKrLCbf3imRQzVEbPou1crBCJv2R86pZKPUENuz-07RXrGKv5d-o43TvnKnRPgthQ0BNd9_u80YoGV2S7y9bkHn0TOw2YeO7g

Soldato
Talk to me about scenery guys.

What do you guys use, recommend? Make your own, how, what with? Good places to buy? Good ideas to save money?

I am pretty much at the stage where I have the table and gamemat. The gamemat has already arrived which is as follows: https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-urban-wasteland/

6x4 for games of 40k - Also slightly off topic, but a word of warning when you are looking at game mats, the mat arrived, and looks a fair bit darker in person than it does on their site (I am guessing its probably similar accross the board) so watch for that, I still like the mat, but its not quite as arid/deserty as the picture would suggest. I am guessing when they photo them its done under bright studio lights.

Anyway, my brother might be able to get hold of around £250 worth of genuine brand new Games Workshop scenery (dont ask!), imperial sector ruins an similar - so hopefully that will make a good start. I've watched plenty of battle reps on youtube and one thing they do on the Winters SEO channel (check that out btw if you havn't) - is the guy uses little gravel type stuff, and puts it around the base of the ruins. It looks really effective and apparently you can buy it dirt cheap from a pet store.

I've also briefly looked at laser cut MDF scenery this morning, just surfing around on ebay, seems they go typically for around £20 a piece (building etc).

Caporegime
First leman russ assembled. Undercoated. Just on at the minute with drilling out the barrels and magnet points.
Waiting on some paints and brushes arriving then I'll get on with my base coats as a colour scheme test. Although think it's just going to end up as dark grey all over.

Exciting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there much value in 2nd hand GW figures? I've got a few sets of the old lead Imperial Guard models from the mid 90s, maybe 50 figures in total, and a few vehicles. Most are painted but not to a particularly high standard.

Yes there definitely is, especially with older models like you have where people like to collect them as they are old/rare. If you use Facebook there is a very good Warhammer trade group on there, if not try some of the dedicated wargaming forums (some might have post count restrictions before selling so worth checking).

You can always risk Ebay but personally I wouldn't.

Soldato
Is there much value in 2nd hand GW figures? I've got a few sets of the old lead Imperial Guard models from the mid 90s, maybe 50 figures in total, and a few vehicles. Most are painted but not to a particularly high standard.

Not as much as you think. It depends some rarer models maybe, but generally day for those older imperial guard you are talking about, are maybe 50% value of what new ones would be. I made an entire 2000 point army of metal grey knights from eBay didn't cost me that much.

But check eBay, it will give you a better idea, just remember there are lots of big Warhammer sellers on eBay that horde and hold on to models for higher sale prices, you may not get that as a private seller looking for a quick sale.

Soldato
Thanks. Would just be nice to free up a couple of boxes from the loft and turn them into folding money.

From memory I had:
Catachan Jungle Fighters squad (10)
Catachan Jungle Fighters heavy weapons squad (6)
Cadian Shock Troops squad (10)
Ratlin sniper squad (5)
Atilian Rough Riders (5)
Mordian Iron Guard + heavy weapons squad (16)
Valhallan Ice Warriors (10)
Tallarn Desert Raiders (10)
A few officers & whatnot
Leman Russ
Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Hellhound convert (modded to 3x heavy flamers and an Inferno Cannon)
Chimera
Landspeeder

Back
Top Bottom