Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
So... I opted to buy the Deathwatch Killteam box set as some friends want to play Killteam... Thought I'd give painting another go. Better than my previous attempts and I learnt a lot while painting them. The photos aren't great but here we go....

Edit: God you notice ALL the flaws when you put pictures up >.<
5Nmvsn0.jpg
QqucSyX.jpg
6KJfqk9.jpg
0Tg49XZ.jpg

Soldato
So... I opted to buy the Deathwatch Killteam box set as some friends want to play Killteam... Thought I'd give painting another go. Better than my previous attempts and I learnt a lot while painting them. The photos aren't great but here we go....

Edit: God you notice ALL the flaws when you put pictures up >.<
5Nmvsn0.jpg
QqucSyX.jpg
6KJfqk9.jpg
0Tg49XZ.jpg

Yea don't worry, I had the same, thought they look good, take a photo, look at the photo and your like ewwwwww.

Those models look really good, tons of detail.

Soldato
Depends if you just want to paint for the tabletop or go "fancy".

Personally I try and aim for a good tabletop standard, so undercoat, base coat, wash, drybrush (sometimes second drybrush), per colour, depending on the colour. But generally that is relatively quick to do

I very rarely edge highlight, it's very time consuming, difficult to do well, and in my opinion doesn't look great at all if not done well. I don't wet colour mixing on the model.

The risk when getting in to painting 40k, are the pictures on the boxes and most YouTube tutorials etc will be like to a display cabinet/pro level. You gotta decide what standard you are aiming for, and realistic with your own expectations.

Soldato
I enjoy the painting but realise I will never ever be pro\cabinet level so having something that is tabletop ready but looks nice rather than just "tabletop" ready is my aim.

Associate
The main thing is to just enjoy doing it really. Models painted to the best of your ability are so much better than grey plastic when on the table. You will naturally get better with practice anyway and use tutorials and videos as inspiration and to pick up new techniques to try. Never try and replicate a scheme and think you will make yours look the same. The difference in style between people is massive anyway.

Some people swear by drybrushing, some hate it. Use what works for you and enjoy the painting itself and you will just get better without knowing it.

Take your first models and make sure you never sell them. Do a comparison in year or 2 of how your painting is improved and as you noticed, pictures bring out everything you don't notice when look at a real model.

Caporegime
Lovely @Spuj. Love the lighting on the plasmas. Are the top of the knee plates (not the trim above) highlighted or is that just natural light? Either way looks good!

Sorry for another Q but are the model base coats brushed on or sprayed?

Last edited:
Soldato
Lovely @Spuj. Love the lighting on the plasmas. Are the top of the knee plates (not the trim above) highlighted or is that just natural light? Either way looks good!

Sorry for another Q but are the model base coats brushed on or sprayed?

Thanks very much, really appreciate the kind words. I have to admit I was pleased with the plasma result.

The actual round knee plate isn’t highlighted (I think I’ve got the right bit), it’s the light hitting it however I think I’m going to go back and highlight them as it will make them look better.

So the models are sprayed with a Chaos black spray, however the base layer of green is done by brush. It’s Warpstone glow which is a bit of a pig as it’s quite thin so needs a few thin coats to get it looking right.

Any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask, will do what I can to help.

Caporegime
Nope you've answered what I needed to know! I'm currently painting a few leman russes and have spray undercoated but I'm going to be brushing the base coat. Seeing yours it's good to know that such an even finish can be achieved with a brush.

Soldato
For the tank I used a large GW base brush and thin coats of paint, it took a while and the thoughts of doing bigger models that way is daunting but you can get a smooth result. It will take time though!

Caporegime
I've done some test coats on the underside of one. Thinned down heavily and its gone on smooth. Gonna need 2 or 3 coats though. Off to get some brushes tomorrow as the place near me had nothing bigger than a standard brush.

Associate
I bought bloodbowl boxed game and started painting the Orc team.

The smell of the paint really took me back 20 years since I last painted any Warhammer.

Using GW paints and brushes, my first attempt at an Orc turned out ok. It's going to take me a long time to paint two teams.

No pictures yet as I used my macro lens and dslr :p and I want to tidy up all my newfound mistakes.

Soldato
Soldato
If they match, and they come in dropped bottles, that's a big bonus straight away!

They aren't hugely cheaper to buying from a third party, but you can save a fair bit if you're buying a lot of them. I also like the fact you can buy smaller bottles - if I'd seen these guys before that would have saved me a lot of money when you are using a specific paint to do a few little pieces.

Edit: just to add, I'm going to be painting some Death Guard in the future, and I only have a few of the paints required - I might try them out!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom