Tabletop Warhammer?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Thought I'd go back to Dante and do the details like the tear drop gem stones. Doesn't look too bad I think but needs refining.

20230810-203534.jpg

**updated pic. Think I'm almost there with this guy, some highlights and tidying up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure what the hate is for the push to fit, a lot more enjoyable than my bloody plague marines. I am snipping the pegs a bit and not getting gaps either.
Assembling the marines from leviathan so I can try paint as salamanders, gonna do two test ones to see which green I prefer as some I think are a bit too close to dark angels.

@kindai please report number of paints owned to number of finished models.

Last edited:
Associate
The modern push fit that I've tried have been good. I've more issues with the mono poses that GW seem to only do these days. Or more, with how few poses there are in squads.

Picked up another model for my Stormcast army that I've made no progress on. Along with a few MonumentHobbies paints to try out. Most of mine are the old citadel white top, hex bottles, which are still going strong even after this long. Loving the shade of Royal Purple, it's a slightly darker, richer Liche Purple. They come with a seal and a glass bead which is nice, not used them enough to have an opinion on the lids.

96jhYgo.png

Raz

Raz

Soldato
My problem is that I've got a ton of miniatures, including primarchs, and I start on one then move on to another half way through.

I'm committed though to finishing off Dante, including the base before next week...

Soldato
Not sure what the hate is for the push to fit, a lot more enjoyable than my bloody plague marines. I am snipping the pegs a bit and not getting gaps either.

I find most of the push fit models very good. I usually either clip the peg or make a cut in the female part to make sure glue can escape from it.

The only issues I have with them is that they’re obviously mostly set to their pose, and when you’re gluing them or even when you’re not, the fit can be stiff enough that if it’s not quite right it’s extremely difficult to get them apart again without breaking them.

It can also be hard to actually push them together sometimes without either impaling yourself or bending/breaking the model but usually fine if you’re careful.

But the poses they get out of the monopose models are so dynamic and look so good imo

Soldato
"I'll pick up some necrons, a few paints just to have a dabble"

A few weeks later after getting the majority of my paints transferred to droppers...

"I wonder if I need a paint rack"...

IMG_20230810_221030.jpg

What do you use to transfer the paint, pipette or similar?

I have spare dropper bottles and did it years ago but forgot how I did it plus remember it getting messy.

Soldato
"I'll pick up some necrons, a few paints just to have a dabble"

A few weeks later after getting the majority of my paints transferred to droppers...

"I wonder if I need a paint rack"...
I've been eying up the black kracken paint racks myself, getting fed up of bashing about the drawers then basically having every paint i own threw out on the table lol

Sgarrista
Commissario
I have spare dropper bottles and did it years ago but forgot how I did it plus remember it getting messy.

These little funnels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09HGSNK61

Take the lid completely off the citadel pot, push and hold the funnel to the top of it then put the bottle on top and in one swift motion turn it upside down, create a tiny gap for air to enter and it will transfer from one bottle to the other in about 2 seconds with no mess.

Commissario
That's a lot faster than I've ever managed to decant the paints!

I use "hip flask" funnels, as they're stainless steel so cleaning them after use is a doddle, but IIRC you have to be a bit careful about the size because they can be a tight fit on the dropper bottles.

Do you pop a ball bearing in your paints?
It can make a massive difference in how well/fast you can get them mixed/ready for use even with the vortex mixer as it does a great job of agitating the paint especially after it's settled a bit.

Re paint racks, as well as the dedicated paint racks you can buy, the sort of ones sold for nail varnish can work very well, younger brother uses a bunch of them as they're cheapish and IIRC he can store some rarely used bits under them.
It is however quite easy to go down the rabbit hole and end up ordering some really fancy paint storage setups, and I've got some vague plans for when I finally get round to managing to sort out my hobby area again potentially building some paint storage (something that can let me pull out and fold open the storage for minimum space lost/maximum access)

Associate
I use a few little side tables for all my paints so I can keep them modular and mobile to keep my main desk paint free, so I made up some smaller modular paint holders and easels to fit using cardboard and double sided tape, really quick and easy to make and actually works great. It holds the paints in even if you turn the whole holders upside down, arguably better holding ability than some professional ones plus, you get the benefit of being modular and custom made to your needs. The 7 paint pot and water pot is my main easel that has enough paint holders for most models. Usually just keep the others stacked by paint type and grab them when I need them.

Also this Amazon product is great for decanting as it includes the pots and the funnels in one pack.

AIL4fc8tU6yoNPqkU9d2XR3etDgQWOl7nOWtaMUgG4b8sTAOLgotF7WlCAkUbBwpmRyw6PvnjBIFxuLf5rWe5x5txLTX-xc_o8_tHyCZb8k9JrL5yYy6u9I=w2400

Still grinding through my 20 Space Marine display, got 14 fully completed now and the other 6 primed and good to go, hopefully get another one base coated tonight.

Commissario

Ill probably make something out of some wood lying around and a hole saw :D
You say that now...
Once you start you'll probably end up with a paint storage system linked to a DB so that you tell it the scheme you want and it pulls out all the right paints and loads them onto a "ready" rack ;) (I'm honestly half surprised I've seen someone do that already).

Soldato
Another good thing about the TTC range, other than the paints being great is they come in dropper bottles and they have an agitator (bearing) in them already. This is why I got the range rather that **** about buying bottles, bearings, funnels and hours of time decanting it all.

Was trying to take a photo of the green I put on my SM but as soon as I take it I see the colour change so it looks like dark angels green, even though I disabled white balance and brightness on the camera app.

edit: ok this is the closest on my screen to what I actually see, I feel the other green I have looks too dark and I like vibrant for Salas. I just slapped this on for the photo, wasn't taking care, but legs have had 2 coats. Only issue I can think of is I don't have a brighter green to highlight, maybe I could use yellow, or mix something and hope for the best.

This is how they come out after my phone fannys about with lighting, incidentally,. does look like the shade below I have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom