Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I'm a huge fan of the new game colour range. They've a very matte finish I love but aren't as painful to use as the scale75 paints.
Yeah. I’m firmly in the camp of no point in fighting your tools as mini painting is hard enough. Well that’s what I tell myself every time I buy something new lol.

Definitely if I had to start over I wouldn’t touch GW’s paint and only buy AK 3G, pro acryl, Two thin coats and now you can throw the new game colour range into that camp.

I decided to only buy them at the start because I was colour blind and wanted to stick to guides more but that has probably held my painting back.

There’s plenty of tools and conversion charts about to land you somewhere in that colour range.

The GW range in term of consistency is all over the place. There’s colours that are simply superb and other complete dog ****.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I'm willing to try non-GW paints but both my kids (8 and 10) paint as well and prefer to stick to the official guides etc. Maybe when they're a bit more confident I'll give them a go (saying that, both are pretty decent painters already).

Soldato
I tried wet blending today with some black to build contrast. Did not work, just ended up smearing black everywhere. No way I'd do that multiple times for plain old marines either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm willing to try non-GW paints but both my kids (8 and 10) paint as well and prefer to stick to the official guides etc. Maybe when they're a bit more confident I'll give them a go (saying that, both are pretty decent painters already).
There not bad per say just very inconsistent and highly priced per ml then throw in the pots.

Associate
Have two more almost done now for my 20 marine display, only 4 left to go from being primed to be fully finished. I took some pics of some completed ones that I really had to grind through to complete as they were chosen mostly to give a good colour range in the completed 20, not necessarily my favourite colour choices and also ones I had the shoulder heralds for. Each needs more work or weathering, etc, especially the Dark Angel and Death Spectre, but otherwise are fully varnished and magnetised. Dark Angel is a minor kitbash where I took the hand off the plasma rifle so it could be one handed for the pose. I don't really have time to go into too much detail on each one, so I know they can be improved a lot, but at this stage I just want to get the 20 done to a chapter recognisable level. I can always weather and detail them later on.

I decided I am going to make alternative heads for 19 out of the 20, as only the Imperial Fist head is glued on. I think the alternative heads add a lot to making a dynamic display that I change up. Even a head turn can change the context of a model's pose. The heads on these 3 are more simple cartoon style as I was grinding them, but I've done some more recent ones that are better that I did in a batch, though still have 6 more heads to paint as well.

Dark Angel
AIL4fc8e_GTUP9H0PqLJS8CjGeEVpO68hdexUtqdlUlmGtJIKrQ92GtzZy13V5_EyWyGcWyset3GuweCgM-rxTTbbInCq1fsRupEr8AJ7sLfXzFbFxK-bgY=w2400

AIL4fc_zkNQBb4qTi2n6eWLXq2TEBDDgJVmtjinnx5kXqsQkBWeUZrMfkkV0LfyQy53fExK-iPLGwPhn_q1KAIsMwpjZkREr3C76erloMOrZEAgEuR7avgs=w2400

Mortifactor
AIL4fc9ARSg1163kp3-6v9SPNxR-bVVehbszujCwxo4f7a27dIxsP5jAcVS-tc7ZCQzPs-J0DZ_WF7nQhkql3adOUO_554zld9Hq3MdrIUWxurKvKidWtX8=w2400

AIL4fc-lA7gxqIPzLtp7PjwaAB1pZevZKhv_65mfE3qg37Lyt8XEMSqLmRBlBO34IovHiavNgvJdIq083OLsdbdIlGCHieDNPyQ0bnALitIYjt5kT9RbgY8=w2400

Death Spectre
AIL4fc9SjQE6UYuR18g0zkn3TGEoxXeufYPsmsmCBxbYLR96_t6gbl9cWVyEOCzhnQDWNDM9fQ13XLHZwzQC7_MJ-3KRJKYxYcR_sWQXIMpo0EG6ODAts_s=w2400

AIL4fc-XWjfBDNNYgHP6cS7DknvWKR33Gxx2KIV2vqyAJ77DIl90FKKW924RtRdQdnfmtNnHXzB1TuBFjjlJDih84WAhjNagtaIyzOYZkAX6d8u7khKcJXo=w2400

Soldato
@Bigpig

I find all paint brands are not consistent.

I agree GW some of them are great some not, I like GW washes, and the contrast paints are good, although I'm not buying the whole self shade thing, but to use as standard base they generally cover well and are still quite thin.

I prefer Vajello, I use different colours from their various ranges, but even then the odd one can be awful.

For me I just find the colour I want and test a few out, I figure when you start to paint an army you are going to stick to main colours so worth testing a few out and see what works, especially if you are then going to go on a paint however many with the same colour.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE

I have Vallejo model colour black and white. White is ok and hate the black. Not very nice to use but the finish is ok. Find it very gloopy. Also have 3 orange colours from the old game colour line. Lovely coverage but find them very glossy. Love the Vallejo model colour air silvers.

In a slump again so did a little bit of retail therapy. Bought more Ak paints and a few Pro Arcyl.

There doesn’t seem to be too much difference atm between AK, Pro Arcyl, Two thin Coats and the new Vallejo game colour line. From the reviews they seem to be very similar with coverage, finish(Matt) and how they act.

Really like the GW shades (only have the old version) and contrast paints and I actually prefer them in the pots. Apart from Nuln oil doubt I never need to buy shades again.

Started to build some Plague marines. Bought an alternative for Death Guard green the paintRack app suggested lol. Hopefully a close match.

Associate
How do the colours match the originals?

I don't have many game colours but I've been buying different manufactures colours and found it amazing at just how well some of them match each other.
The ones I've tried have been pretty close but the satin vs matte finish I think affects my perception of the colours being different

Soldato
Really pleased with how its turned out as the first model ive painted in 15+ years.

My brush control is terrible at the moment, was cursing at some simple mistakes and silly things that used to be able to do with ease.

Anyway, criticisms and suggestions please :)

Looking good mate especially for your first one back. Only suggestion at this stage is paint a bunch more

Back
Top Bottom