Tabletop Warhammer?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Yes love me a wet pallet. Green stuff world have one for around a tenner

Yep that works well and makes a big difference but my painting isn't all that anyway but makes me feel a tad more professional.

Soldato
Thanks both - the only thing that bothers me with the cheaper brushes is getting a hook towards the end of the brush. Think I will stick with them and make a home made wet palette while I paint these nids and marines. Once Ive gotten better with the basics I might look to invest in a couple of better brushes.
Get some brush soap, and that’ll pretty much element brush hook for the most part. We should all be looking after brushes anyway - Altho I admit myself it’s so easy to forget and trash a brush.

Reactions: Raz

Raz

Raz

Soldato
That reminds me I should really look to sell my leviathan box nids. Not really sure on a good price though.
I guess I could just find the equivalents on somewhere like Wayland games and knock a further 10% off or so

I've got them from Leviathan, and also the Necrons from the 9th Ed command boxset. It's a lot but figured it would give us some variety in games.

Soldato
I've just realised why these box sets suck. You don't get the full options opposed to buying separate.
My terminators as an example there are no chain fists or heavy flamer/cyclone missile launcher to change to. The loadout is determined by the box set.

Soldato
That’s exactly correct yes. It’s also why the individual unit sets are more expensive than the total number of models you get in a box set - they become more pose-able and considerably more options.

Soldato
Makes sense. In hindsight, it made no sense me getting Leviathan on the day, I just got caught up in the hype. What I really need to do is actually finish some models, I have made good progress and whilst I do prefer doing in sub assembly, it also seems to add just more faff to the whole thing. I feel the same when I was painting my DG as there are so many details that all need different colours etc.

Soldato
I’ve always thought painting anything ‘infantry’ sized in sub assemblies is mugging yourself off. Generates loads more work, and sometimes you lose the feel of the model when it’s not assembled.

Just build it and dive in, nothing is too complicated unless it’s holding a flag or something across half the model!

Soldato
I’ve always thought painting anything ‘infantry’ sized in sub assemblies is mugging yourself off. Generates loads more work, and sometimes you lose the feel of the model when it’s not assembled.

Just build it and dive in, nothing is too complicated unless it’s holding a flag or something across half the model!

Those infernus marines are though. They carry that bloody great flamer right across the chest. I'm particularly happy with the two terminators I just built either lol. But at least they are a bit more chunky. There are some bits and bobs I can't see how I'm going to get to very well.

Soldato
Yeah though mine is much cheaper than some of those the colour temp is right, not magnified though.

The things I think I'll struggle with below are the bit obscured by the power sword, and the inner arm on the other one bolter arm. Though tbh I'm probs overthinking it as I won't care much when they are on the table.

Edit. Just seen a bit I need to file on bottom pic.

Last edited:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I get what you mean, I've decided to focus on characters rather than all models, it just gets to burdensome and time consuming to maintain a high standard for an entire army. As long as they look OK then I'm fine with it, but I'll put in the extra time on Dante, Chaos Lord etc.

Soldato
Found a work around for the small cork. Just double sided stick taped then to the bases lol. Only thing not glued is the backpacks and heads and since these are the most built models to date needed them pinned and lifted so I can work most angles. I need more paint tho…… a dark green!!! Might just buy the orc and green creature set from AK as I have very little greens

Last edited:

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Starting to add some detail to my first space marine - playing around so I know how I want to do the rest of them. Only done the gun so far and happy with some parts but not with others, thoughts?

Caporegime
First thought, you're going to be upset when you try to paint around/behind the gun and keep getting paint on it :p

(I know that's what I'd end up doing, so I work from the inside out, if that makes sense)

The burnt effect on the barrel is looking good but would probably feel more natural with the silver still showing closest to the gun body, finishing in the blued colour on the very end.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
First thought, you're going to be upset when you try to paint around/behind the gun and keep getting paint on it :p

(I know that's what I'd end up doing, so I work from the inside out, if that makes sense)

The burnt effect on the barrel is looking good but would probably feel more natural with the silver still showing closest to the gun body, finishing in the blued colour on the very end.
Thanks Kenai - fortunately I decided to cheat a little and Ive not glued the arm on for exactly that reason, it was painted detached and I will detatch it again when I do the inside of the body. It also made it easier painting the other side of the gun.

might try to blend a silver edge along the bottom - I was tempted with a sotty / smokey right at the barrel tip but wasnt sure if it would look right. The edge highlighting on the gun was also being problematic as its not as neat as I would like.

Finally got my brush cleaner (Original B&J The Masters blush cleaner and preservative"- so will be busy conditioning all my brushes tonight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funnily enough I also was working on my infernus marines still.
Just concepting hence messiness. I was undecided if the bottom canister should be the same red, or black or silver, but I think it works just staying red. I'll add a silver trim.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Only done the gun so far and happy with some parts but not with others, thoughts?

Lovely work.

I finally finished up my first squad of immortals today.

Decided to cheat and get some pre-made bases ordered. Got battle brothers to send me a sample pack of different varieties to see which works best with my color scheme :)

Soldato
Probs a silly question but if I was to get a can of yellow spray for basing as painting is taking too long, would the colour change depending if there was one underneath?

Ie, I could spray averland sunset straight on an unprimed mini (I'm aware the spray is a primer/base in one)

Or would it change the warmth if I sprayed it over a model I already primed in say wraithbone or white?

Though tbh I don't really like that yellow. Might take a punt on a non miniture branded acrylic spray.

Last edited:
Soldato
Purists will say it matters (a rattle can will have a more abrasive finish than a more satin from the pot).

In practice, a lot of mine are just rattle canned, or I sometimes do a mixed approach - spray with the can, then heavy dry brush all over the model from the pot. This gets you pretty speedy results.

I’m sure many would have baulked at me doing that, but yet I used to be pretty successful on IG.

Soldato
I mentioned before about an airbrush but I cancelled it. I've taken the plunge again but I have got a real cheap one just to practice priming and base coating with.
I figure if I got another two cans that is over £60 I spent on them, when I have plenty of paints I could thin down and use in an airbrush

Back
Top Bottom