Tabletop Warhammer?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Trying my best to not give up, I don't force myself to paint when not in the mood etc. My biggest frustration is seeing things and having no idea how to do it, mainly shading, where people have a smooth transition of colour. No contrast paints.

Take this Typhus I just grabbed, they have the colour darker where it would be but I don't get how it's done. I practiced (albeit like twice) a method from Duncan Rhodes where he applied the base colour and then applied black further down and going across 'wet blended' them together to create the gradual contrast. When I did it, I just made the whole thing black/streaky. I spoke about getting plasticard before to practice these methods, is this the right stuff?
Fed up of ruining models and stripping so want to pause and practice the techniques on something like that.

Keep at it, with your encouragement I overcame my fear of holes (!) and drilled into Dante's gun.

As said above, it's glazing. I wasn't really bothered about it until I got to my dark apostle and his green flames. Keep it to special characters I guess.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Duncan Rhodes

I really dislike Duncans videos for this aspect.

Dont get me wrong, the quality and level he is painting is incredible but when hes like "mix it down until it looks like this", well thats great but "like this" doesnt help when you just see a splodge of runny black on the screen.

Ive been practicing myself the last few days on blending also, i just use old sprue.

IMG_20230904_151828.jpg

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Cracking idea to use old sprue's, not something I had thought about before but now going to be on the list to use next.

Soldato
Thanks all, I didn't realise that was glazing. Good idea using old sprues Kindai, I shall use that in the mean time before I find some cheap squares of plastic to practice a few things. I also agree that the tutorial was pretty brief from DR. Some I have watched over and over (from other people) but still can't match it, for example:

Despite being explained really well I seem to get very different results at times. Then there are some REALLY basic things I don't get like ok so when my paint runs out that I just loaded up with, am I suppose to put it straight back in the pallet or rinse first, drain excess water, then refill etc. My tests are so inconsistent I just assume I'm doing it wrong all the time. I have had better results on paint consistency on dry pallet though, though it dries out before I use it all a lot, when I've done my DIY wet pallet, the paint has gone too thin, but also I am not using proper stuff, my parchment is greaseproof so probs doesn't help.

From same person, showing how to do a nice yellow:

I do it, my paint looks nothing like how it is going on for him. Quite frustrating tbh. I know yellow is hard, I am talking generally.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cliff notes?

Eldar and GSC are ridiculously OP. Suspect its deliberate to sell more minis as GW even joked about it on warhammer community. No edition has had such a large disparity in win rates. GW have done next to nothing to resolve it up to now with aeldari win rates actually increasing post 'nerf'.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I also agree that the tutorial was pretty brief from DR. Some I have watched over and over (from other people) but still can't match it, for example:

Try warhipster, I found his guides to be the best for me personally, I like that he tells you the exact mix ratios of stuff and then details how much or how little to be using, just generally high quality "this is how you do it" guides.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Try warhipster, I found his guides to be the best for me personally, I like that he tells you the exact mix ratios of stuff and then details how much or how little to be using, just generally high quality "this is how you do it" guides.

Warhipster is good, I like The Painting Coach too.

Soldato
Eldar and GSC are ridiculously OP. Suspect its deliberate to sell more minis as GW even joked about it on warhammer community. No edition has had such a large disparity in win rates. GW have done next to nothing to resolve it up to now with aeldari win rates actually increasing post 'nerf'.

I quite fancy an Elder army.

They are old school, I think I have a metal walker thing, that's probably 30 years old, the only elder model I have.

Probably do those next, I've seen some really good paint schemes as they are complete fantasy you can go nuts, might need to up my painting skills though because the largest flattish areas on the heads of the walkers etc really benefit from some proper wet shading.

Not because of the meta I'd just play 8th at home anyway.

Soldato
Here are the out of focus pictures that won't back up what I'm saying about this yellow actually being very good by my standards. Note model on left has very thick paint in comparison. Also annoyingly got some black fibres in the Dreadnought panel. Because I have had a decent result with that one model, I am now thinking I would rather do the whole army as fists instead of salamanders.

Really need to read that guide again on photographing minis. As in is the quality better if you just take the picture and let people zoom in digitally on their own device or do what I do and crop it so it zooms in anyway. I'm using a pixel 6 pro so pretty decent camera by mobile standards.

Unzoomed one for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bar

Bar

Bar

Soldato
some really nice coverage on those models - yellow works well and will be interesting to see what they look like once finished up.

Soldato
some really nice coverage on those models - yellow works well and will be interesting to see what they look like once finished up.

Yeah just not sure what to use shade/wash wise. I have an orange that would suit I guess but classic nuln would make it a bit more pronounced. Guess I'll do one leg each and let you lot decide lol.

Soldato
Went messy as I was doing half assed but knee I put a bit more on brush and shoes were subtle. Calf plate thing did delicately. That's my orange one.
Only other ones I have outside of aforementioned are purples and a sepia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom