Tabletop Warhammer?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Yeah, I kept thinking it was the chaplain but he's got a chaplain, called Charlie :D

You can have it for free, it's been built but it's not doing much. No worries if not but the offers there :)

Soldato
Don't judge me but I got some more stuff for the Salamanders. TBF I need them to actually play as the only other bits I have are the Sternguard Vets who seem a bit lame, librarian in termy a rmour, biologus/aptohecary and a lieutenant in something.

I could proxy my wardogs as the imperial equivalent as aside from the aesthetics, they are exactly the same loadout wise. I dunno.

Soldato
These are now at my definition of done (ex bases). I have done a little bit of edge, highlighting and little bits of detail. I could spend many, many more hours on these but I think they look absolutely fine for the table top.

Here they are warts and all. Also, I'm sure one of you lore nerds will tell me those are not the right decals but I don't care. I just do what I think looks good :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here they are warts and all.

These look great and particularly like the work on the power sword, stands out with a nice contrast.

I know you said you don't care much for basing - the 'Base Ready' stuff by Geek Gaming Scenics i'm definitely still impressed with and it's very quick to use - brush on some glue, dip into the material, tap off the excess, leave to dry. There's a decent variety available, so should be easy to find something that would really help the green pop.

Spent a few evenings this week smashing through the indomitus box necrons that I hadn't touched yet - a very easy and satisfying army to paint. I'll get some photos up tomorrow once the bases are sufficiently dry, really pleased with how they've come out for low effort painting.

So, took a few pictures once the bases were dry and then realised I haven't tidied up the base rims with black paint but you can have the pictures anyway, because everything else is packed away and I won't be doing that until next weekend now :p

Been boring and gone with a typical colour scheme because I actually really like the bronze/brass with the neon green weaponry.

The army as a collective:

DyRL2Fx.jpg

Necron Warriors and Canoptek Scarabs:
lVq6Ra6.jpg

Canoptek Reanimator:
G1RRPOM.jpg

Royal Warden, Overlord, Plasmancer and Cryptothralls:
U4tUeEf.jpg

And lastly my favourite models, the Skorpekh Lord and Skorpekh Destroyers:
lZv9co9.jpg

Really pleased with how striking it looks as an army, it's definitely given me a bit of motivation to get more painting done at scale to a 'good enough' stage, rather than staring at primed minis and putting off the painting because it feels like it'll take too long. This army went from sprues in the box, to (almost) finished in under a week, doing a few hours an evening in stages. I got some cheap dedicated drybrushes which made the basecoating an absolute breeze - once the primer was dry, getting the base metal colour onto all of the models was less than an hours work. Shade washes, Tesseract Glow and a yellow highlight, along with a few contrast paints colour detailing and these were pretty much done.

The bases haven't photographed well and would benefit from a light drybrushing to highlight the texture a bit more for the screen but in person they look really good as is.

There's definitely scope to go back and spend more time on these if you wanted to - alternative colours for joints etc. - but i'm happy with the collective result as they are.

Soldato
Well that's put mine to shame lol. Amazing work.

I've had a look re bases and think the 'volcanic island' stuff would work well. Also fits in with the theme. I personally think it's too much when people do bases with lava cracking in between it as if salamanders tread fire everywhere but each to their own of course.
Not sure if I try and pop the characters out the bases (pretty sure I glued) or just carefully apply glue and shake the stuff in. Not like it matters if some goes on the feet. Is the basing glue special or pretty much just PVA?
I only have super glue and liquid cement which isn't really glue.

Caporegime
Well that's put mine to shame lol. Amazing work.
Not sure about that, nowhere near the same level of skill or attention has been applied to these - having a whole army together definitely ramps up the impact (and satisfaction) factor though, even when the individual models haven't had much attention paid to them.
I've had a look re bases and think the 'volcanic island' stuff would work well. Also fits in with the theme. I personally think it's too much when people do bases with lava cracking in between it as if salamanders tread fire everywhere but each to their own of course.
Not sure if I try and pop the characters out the bases (pretty sure I glued) or just carefully apply glue and shake the stuff in. Not like it matters if some goes on the feet. Is the basing glue special or pretty much just PVA?
I only have super glue and liquid cement which isn't really glue.
The volcanic island mix is what i've used on the Necrons but also with the green crystals added after (i wanted clumps so did them separately rather than buy the tomb world mix). I think the basing glue is pretty much PVA but it comes with a nice little nozzle that makes it easy to dose out onto the bases - I brushed the glue semi carefully around the models already attached to the bases, then dunked the base into a small dish with the mix in it, give it a little shake, let it sit for 30s while I applied the glue to the next model, then tapped off the excess before dipping the next model. Once all done, I gave each a generous squirt of the matt scenic sealant - this stuff is magic, it stops the finer powders in the base mix falling away as you handle the minis and binds everything together nicely. It takes a good few hours to dry though.

Edit - the volcanic island mix is a little metallic / sparkly though - if you want a duller finish, the grimdark city rubble might be better, even though it's not quite as dark overall.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Kenai there is no way I could ever have done those glow effects. I am technically inept for anything above basic one colour painting.

Noted about the basing, that grimdark rubble was my second choice.
Also I've never really tried dry brushing but it seems a great way of making light work of bigger models like vehicles etc. I may try it on my new tank when it arrives.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
These are now at my definition of done (ex bases). I have done a little bit of edge, highlighting and little bits of detail. I could spend many, many more hours on these but I think they look absolutely fine for the table top.

Here they are warts and all. Also, I'm sure one of you lore nerds will tell me those are not the right decals but I don't care. I just do what I think looks good :)

No idea about the decals but they look great. The sword really stands out.

Associate
I'm over 90% finished on my 20 Space Marine Display but keep putting it off or finding excuses, so posting a few more images to hopefully motivate me to finish.

I've got 19 mostly all done, still need to varnish one and start and varnish the final one that's only been primed. Then have 6 more helmet-less heads to paint and need to magnetise 6 more, then finally done. I have 5 more done I can show as well but want to get the alternative heads done first. But at least decided on the final 20 chapters which was actually quite a hard part of the process to get a range of colours and the heralds that I had access to decided.

A new one below is completed except the magnetisation and grass for base, it's a member of the only successor chapter of the Space Wolves, the Wolfspear. I had a 3D printed shoulder piece with the herald and I really like their colour scheme that I think goes well with the power fist.

ADCreHeCIAv_W8PL1QFGQqvbJvCLTrXzEuRYOGgVV5pyX6CtiRIDa0zV9kQnc2BwPV5tQjlryUe10wPAcPBU1wVasJThxWsWI7U9_KOe1SpZJdzfyJ5NI9Y=w2400

ADCreHemqMIguqif7bxgHSZ4salI3OkUHXMzCeRfiGWVaLO8y1Z6m867s5I7EYKrKV1Ki6hDCe7ZTtU5mAxQHc57liELSeWV_NjpL4lJ7EPFU9bpQImo-JQ=w2400

This one has my favourite of the faces I've done so far, it does really change the feel of the model from using the helmet one.

ADCreHeEElIpjboqC6VmIxLWjO1akbzhDZS0qmeN5Q_jJ9MoOz7y7zAqhK6N2ReQmi8rGGIMKSaMzo6usoRQHS-pny-SisUPPn7xYaLM_JWwwjcGSl3zmB4=w2400

And two more I went back and did alternative heads for, that I do think adds some extra dimension to the models, even though it's a pain to do the heads and magnetise them, I am happy with the variety if offers for the display to be changed up.

ADCreHc4_Hpo1Ba96BYAvFdf6jJGbDfk6cSpxsDabkry9bd34CSIUFhfxAtzywUfgs-8LpbHcy8FZp-gcFRHiUjxcEtAu3MvuXIpfgmiadYclGhZpfu5jHM=w2400

This next one was initially a major fail on the face painting so I tried to rescue it with a goatee that both looks comical, but also quite expressive due to being wonky it makes a smirk expression, I actually like it even though it does look a bit like Bennett from Commando.
ADCreHdHkESykElmVBTj8o3fLYG9-11OYZQvCbwNjfV4CgeZOfQdyRIOjVInYhF0rMYLjwjxC4eta0Wuc2MGAqev8bzQLq1rb-6dk_HTgjMbEREvBp8r8Go=w2400

Going to try to get the last one painted this week, then 2 to varnish and the 6 heads with magnetisation over next couple of weeks, then hopefully finally done.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
@Kenai They look amazing. I was going for that effect but messed up and ended up putting the necrons away again.

I've realised I've not done any of my plasma weapons lol so took one of my son's marines and played about with some contrast paints. Doesn't look great but it's not too bad...

Soldato
Didn't realise the librarian is 'supposed' to be blue so I have re-primed it wraithbone and will see what I can do. I may try drybrushing because it seems quite a quick way to basecoat minitures and my brush skills aren't really good enough to make it looks good (Didn't brush any of the terminator basecoat).

Soldato
@Kenai They look amazing. I was going for that effect but messed up and ended up putting the necrons away again.

I've realised I've not done any of my plasma weapons lol so took one of my son's marines and played about with some contrast paints. Doesn't look great but it's not too bad...

I paint white then a light green/blue or whatever avoiding the recesses as much as possible then highlight with a darker green/ blue or whatever the high spots of the coils.

Works well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz
Soldato
Ordered the basing stuff that @Kenai 'made' me buy, so look forward to saying those termies are actually complete inc base.

Very early progress shot of book keeper. REgret priming in wraithbone but that's ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

Fired up the 3d printer after the primal hounds campaign finished and I’m over the moon. Some of these items are fantastic.

Had a few fails printing out the small armour decorations but I’m a noob when it comes to printing. Everything else printed perfect.

Back
Top Bottom