Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I have enough models to last me to retirement.

I just can’t stop buying stuff :D

I hear you! Though this was partially due to me not knowing what I wanted to play with. I totally wrecked a Foetid Bloat Drone, it was big-ish pieces of P2F and I just messed it up so badly I binned it lol (It was like £12).
Decided I need a 00 brush in my life, think I've been going at it long enough now to justify another brush.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is and now I’m waiting for the new armypainter range to land in more YouTubers hands…… they do awesome box sets lol
I was looking around wondering if I'd be able to pick up a set of their new paints before Christmas but looks like pre orders don't even start until 2024 :(

Soldato
I was looking around wondering if I'd be able to pick up a set of their new paints before Christmas but looks like pre orders don't even start until 2024 :(
yup :( it be the box sets through January then single pots afterwards.

I was very close at buying the mega war air box set.

Depending how reviews go I can see me boxing up all my CW paints and someone will be getting a bargain. Lost of unopened pots lol.

Just hope the finish isn’t high gloss. If most of it is satin or matte then it’s on like donkey kong.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I'd be open to using non citadel paints but it's easier right now as my kids use the same paints. I wouldn't know where to start either.

Soldato
Well I partially blame this thread, 10th edition bringing Tyranid and Dark Angel love and a few other factors for the Plastic Crackageddon me and the wife are now experiencing. We are very close to having picked up enough to have around 5000 points of Tyranids (with the theory being that will be able to tailor the chosen army towards expected opponents), 3000 points of Dark Angels, 3000 Points of Adepta Sororitas and 3000 Points of Tzeentch Chaos Daemons (wife really wanted an army she could dabble into both 40K/AOS, loves birds and loves the vaporwave colours she can use)

I'm due to pick up Cypher later today (aka Captain Cyp, wink wink nudge nudge), as lore wise it'd be slightly hilarious for him to be wandering around in front of the Lion, who is also in the army, trying not to do something to **** him off and keep the Lion from outing him, but also ties into the whole ongoing Risen storyline (I am hoping they will officially make Cypher usable in both Chaos and Imperial armies again as in the past); along with some Zoanthropes. I also managed to FINALLY (6 months+ later of trying) grab an unused Carnifex Brood off eBay, so I'll be building Old One Eye, and another 'fex, to go with my 2nd generation Metal Carnifex from back in the day.

My Tyranid Army will also feature the 2nd generation Hive Tyrant, some old metal warriors and a Zoanthrope, and the 1st generation metal Hive Tyrant who's been relegated to Tyrant Guard duties, along with 2 of the original metal Space Marine-looking Tyrant Guards. Bit of fun, genetic throwbacks yo!

About the only things we are still waiting for is a few more orders to turn up in the post; and also waiting for the rumoured upcoming Dark Angels Deathwing box set to round out the 3000 points of the Dark Angels, as hoping it'll feature updated and up to date sculpts of Belial, the new Terminator Chaplain, 5 redone Deathwing Knights, and 10 Deathwing terminators; or similar, which should be about perfect for 3000 points with everything else I've already collected.

As feels fitting for a Dark Angels army featuring the Lion as well, I'm trying to make it quite a heavy/advanced task force; only 1 squad of Intercessors, but there'll be 2x 10 man squads of Assault Intercessors, 10 Infernus, 2 Dreadnoughts (1x Ballistus, 1x Plasma cannon wielding Redemptor), Sternguard, Hellblasters and then obligatory Terminators for the Deathwing. It just felt very appropriate that the army should be quite aggressive but also wielding a decent amount of heavy/advanced weaponry, rather than a more traditional multiple Space Marine tactical/intercessor squad style force.

I have no idea how long this is going to take paint when we finally finish building them all! lol

Most of the 'Nids and Dark Angels are getting dark brown base sprayed, then Wraithbone over the top as Zenithal to try and speed up the base layer, with detailing over the top.
I'm still very torn on Dark Angels contrast vs Caliban Green for the marine armour; Contrast when done well, and watered down slightly actually seems to look fantastic, but it can go very wrong.

Biggest headache is whether to strip or just reprimer over the top for the old metal models, as some of the old paint is coming away anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be open to using non citadel paints but it's easier right now as my kids use the same paints. I wouldn't know where to start either.
I have quite liked the Colourforge sprays I've used, bigger cans (500 v 400 of most of the others) and the colours look good; some of Scale Armor's metal paints look fantastic for drybrushing/gold, and ProAcryl's Bold Titanium White is apparently the best white you can get atm, although I've not had a chance to use my pot yet; and the Vallejo stuff has some really fantastic neon/flourescent colours, whilst I still intend to use Citadel paints and contrasts as well.
Of the bigger suppliers, about the only ones I've not put much effort into are Army Painter, as I heard the older stuff was not good, and I think I've found most of the colours I want anyhow. About the only colour still up in the air for me, is what colour I use for the blades/claws (going with Wraithbone esque flesh, and Tallasar Blue armour plates so they really pop, but still torn on the blade colour to go with).

Mix and match the best out of all the ranges is IMO the way to go, Citadel stuff seems to be much higher quality than it used to be, albeit it's priced highly, but its also a bit of a 'you know what you're getting' sort of candidate, with niches and holes that are filled in via other ranges, or other ranges do a bit better :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz
Soldato
Now I’m a sucker for hype so I’m waiting to see these new paints in the hands of more YouTubers. The yellows and oranges looks like an instant buy.

wayland have the preorder up. 560 quid for 216 paints. That’s 2.60 a bottle

That range of paints is incredible. I can spot the space wolves colours in the top left.
Wolf grey, runic and frost blue!!!

They seem to have their naming convention nailed as I can spot other factions colours straight off the bat.

There’s also a 50 bottle box set for 141 working out at 2.80 a bottle

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz
Soldato
Extremely kind offer of you @Raz, but I need to make sure I’ve got my painting mojo back before I take such liberties!

On that note……

Finally grabbed another red boy off the shelf. Still need to add further shadows in to the armour but that’s effectively the highlighting stage done.

Soldato
Feel like I sorta messed up the bases. When I sprayed the sealant spray it made them look wet which isn't terrible itself I guess.

In future I'll probably try don't before the model is in as the spray was a bit lively and went all over the models too lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Feel like I sorta messed up the bases. When I sprayed the sealant spray it made them look wet which isn't terrible itself I guess.

In future I'll probably try don't before the model is in as the spray was a bit lively and went all over the models too lol.
A bit of matte varnish should clear that up.

Soldato

Not knowing enough, I’d suggest maybe you sprayed them too close. But a matte varnish over the top will take the sheen off them.

FYI, I don’t varnish ANY of my models :p

Back
Top Bottom