Tabletop Warhammer?

I have been painting up some AOS scenery over the last few days, need to add a bit more copper then add some shades plus highlights.

Believe it over not that dome shaped building is what caused me to buy an AOS starter set back in August ;)

Cheers All

For this craft mat, I see you all using, do you have any recommendations or will a £5 self healing sewing mat from amazon do the job?

I'm getting there with the dark vengeance box set. I'm 97% done with the space marines and the bikers. I've just got the deathwing terminators and the "baddies" left to do (so more then half the box!). I've enjoyed the painting so far, and I am amazed at how long I can sit still and paint, I was probably painting for about 4hrs straight on Saturday. For a fidgety guy who normally likes to take toilet breaks in the cinema, this is quite impressive! As a beginner, I can tell some things are taking me a lot longer than they will with a bit of experience.
I will put some photos up later.

For this craft mat, I see you all using, do you have any recommendations or will a £5 self healing sewing mat from amazon do the job?

I'm getting there with the dark vengeance box set. I'm 97% done with the space marines and the bikers. I've just got the deathwing terminators and the "baddies" left to do (so more then half the box!). I've enjoyed the painting so far, and I am amazed at how long I can sit still and paint, I was probably painting for about 4hrs straight on Saturday. For a fidgety guy who normally likes to take toilet breaks in the cinema, this is quite impressive! As a beginner, I can tell some things are taking me a lot longer than they will with a bit of experience.

Yeah literally anything. I got 2 from Temu for like £8.
Also what do you mean re your box set, you've already done the 'baddies' ;)

Before I dive into the ingredients, do you know if any of the following are the same as I have these:
Lamian medium, contrast medium, airbrush thinner.
To the best of my knowledge contrast medium should only be used to thin contrast paint as water will mess it up, Lamian medium mixed with contrast or shade paint will produce a glaze type of finish, airbrush thinner will thin your paint which you dont really want, sounds to me you need to improve the flow of your paint which that Vallejo medium thinner will do.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers All

I'd rather strip a model that field something **** that I can't fix other wise lol.
The trick is if course to not make any mistakes, ever.

I like the look of the blinding light speed paint, might get it to try and a bottle of titanium white from pro acryll.

Totally fair point, for me I don’t have much time to paint so if was stripping and trying to get everything perfect I’d never get anything painted :(

I make loads of mistakes! Most of the time I just tidy them up so that they look good from an arms length and be done with it though :)

The titanium white is really pretty impressive, it’s very thin so doesn’t go clumpy like GW whites :)

Last edited:

My mat was an A3 size self healing craft mat from Amazon for £7.00

To the best of my knowledge contrast medium should only be used to thin contrast paint as water will mess it up, Lamian medium mixed with contrast or shade paint will produce a glaze type of finish, airbrush thinner will thin your paint which you dont really want, sounds to me you need to improve the flow of your paint which that Vallejo medium thinner will do.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers All

Understood. Another bottle of substance can't harm,.thanks.
Totally fair point, for me I don’t have much time to paint so if was stripping and trying to get everything perfect I’d never get anything painted :(

I make loads of mistakes! Most of the time I just tidy them up so that they look good from an arms length and be done with it though :)

The titanium white is really pretty impressive, it’s very thin so doesn’t go clumpy like GW whites :)

After receiving a few bollockings on here I try not to now . Only if I've had a disaster and obscured details due to too thick paint do I strip now. Otherwise if I mess up I'll try paint base colours/ prime colour back on or if a total change, simple re-prime.

It's taken me a long time to realise it doesn't matter if I can see something when it's 5cm in front of my face, if it looks decent on the table (decent is my max ability) then that will do. I don't even paint the underneath of guns etc now.

Last edited:
Silvers I use Vallejo Metal model Air line straight from the bottle. Not the more expensive ones that like 9 quid. Night and day compared to GW silvers. The more expensive ones are even thinner and people swear by them but I’m finding the cheap model air just fine.

I’m enjoying scale 75 golds. They have a Gel medium.

I just didn’t like the tones from Pro Acyl metallic paint and they didn’t cover all that great.

Still after a few nice brass colours.

Actually got some painting done last night and going to aim going forward a few hours hobbling after work!!

Been on Temu and bought a wee desk hover that’s handy lol

I have a scale 75 metallic purple and I wondered why it was so smooth, that explains it.

Any advice or opinions on this.
Metallic silver primer - black templar - TTC Mythril Blade edges.
On the Warhipster tutorial he says not to worry about brightness of highlights due to a blue wash stage which I don't think I like after doing on another.
Obviously this is a pretty boring scheme in general (partly why I like it) the silver mistakes can also be 'battle damage'. I like how where the contrast didn't cover well it gives the effect of worn metal.
Obviously don't want to spend too much time on it as it's a big standard marine. Once I've finished the weapons I'm going to do the eyes, basing will be much much later per usual.

Last edited:
I have a scale 75 metallic purple and I wondered why it was so smooth, that explains it.

Any advice or opinions on this.
Metallic silver primer - black templar - TTC Mythril Blade edges.
On the Warhipster tutorial he says not to worry about brightness of highlights due to a blue wash stage which I don't think I like after doing on another.
Obviously this is a pretty boring scheme in general (partly why I like it) the silver mistakes can also be 'battle damage'. I like how where the contrast didn't cover well it gives the effect of worn metal.
Obviously don't want to spend too much time on it as it's a big standard marine. Once I've finished the weapons I'm going to do the eyes, basing will be much much later per usual.

Eye lenses? Are you going to keep them black?

Understood. Another bottle of substance can't harm,.thanks.

After receiving a few bollockings on here I try not to now . Only if I've had a disaster and obscured details due to too thick paint do I strip now. Otherwise if I mess up I'll try paint base colours/ prime colour back on or if a total change, simple re-prime.

It's taken me a long time to realise it doesn't matter if I can see something when it's 5cm in front of my face, if it looks decent on the table (decent is my max ability) then that will do. I don't even paint the underneath of guns etc now.

Don't let anyone tell you how to do your hobby! If you like stripping stuff then you do you, boo!

But don't come moaning to me saying you can never get any models finished :p :cry:

Pick up that brush and get painting. Your first models won’t be up to your expectations but after a few you’ll start noticing your improvements.

Also don’t take pictures of your models, if they look good from half an arm length away then it’s good enough!

Where abouts in London are you?

This is exactly what I am telling myself currently!

I have way overspent on this as well, I went full donkey and got an airbrush etc.. Although the airbrush has proved very useful for the priming and the initial base coat depending on the model.

I am in Grove Park near Bromley, there is a GW shop near me which I visit every so often but they do not have a huge amount of variety so tend to shop online mostly.

This is exactly what I am telling myself currently!

I have way overspent on this as well, I went full donkey and got an airbrush etc.. Although the airbrush has proved very useful for the priming and the initial base coat depending on the model.

I am in Grove Park near Bromley, there is a GW shop near me which I visit every so often but they do not have a huge amount of variety so tend to shop online mostly.

No such thing as overspending on Warhammer my friend, everything can be justified :p

I really want an airbrush, but I just don't have the space as my painting station is next to my gaming PC, with my server under the desk. I don't think GPUs like paint particles running through them! One day though when i've got the space for a proper man cave!

Not a million miles away from me in North Essex, maybe we could link up for a game at some point? OcUK Warhammer meet up anyone? :p

No such thing as overspending on Warhammer my friend, everything can be justified :p

I really want an airbrush, but I just don't have the space as my painting station is next to my gaming PC, with my server under the desk. I don't think GPUs like paint particles running through them! One day though when i've got the space for a proper man cave!

Not a million miles away from me in North Essex, maybe we could link up for a game at some point? OcUK Warhammer meet up anyone? :p
Hi there

I have been using an airbrush for about 4 years & what really put a spanner in the works is in the wintertime its a real pain to prime stuff as I normally paint in my conservatory which is unheated.

Around 6 weeks ago I took delivery of a portable spraybooth from Amazon for £110 which has an extract hose on the back plus led lighting within the booth, you can put the hose out of a door or window to get rid of the fumes and overspray.

Get yourself an airbrush & save more by not using rattle cans, plus you have more control with an airbrush, I really object to paying around £13 for a tin of Citadel primer when I can buy a 100ml bottle of AK Microfiller primer for £8.00 which lasts ages, plus not as much waste that you get from rattle cans.

Cheers All

This trail of thought I can agree with :D

I actually have the airbrush setup to the right of my monitor with my gaming PC to the left of the monitor but I am lucky enough to have this in a log cabin at the end of the garden.

There is a fan extractor setup you can purchase which could help in your predicament. I haven’t got one myself as the airbrush is next to a window that I keep open when it gets switched on.

That sounds great and I would really appreciate it, the last time I played was 3rd/4th edition when models were still made from metal!

I need to paint some things and decide on a singular army to “grow”

What do you play as/with ?

Hi there

I have been using an airbrush for about 4 years & what really put a spanner in the works is in the wintertime its a real pain to prime stuff as I normally paint in my conservatory which is unheated.

Around 6 weeks ago I took delivery of a portable spraybooth from Amazon for £110 which has an extract hose on the back plus led lighting within the booth, you can put the hose out of a door or window to get rid of the fumes and overspray.

Get yourself an airbrush & save more by not using rattle cans, plus you have more control with an airbrush, I really object to paying around £13 for a tin of Citadel primer when I can buy a 100ml bottle of AK Microfiller primer for £8.00 which lasts ages, plus not as much waste that you get from rattle cans.

Cheers All
How much does an airbrush cost?

Back
Top Bottom