Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
Painted my first few minis for about 20 years recently! I'm enjoying it so far but it does take me about 20 hours or more to do a single model :eek:.

Took a few quick photos of my latest (6th) model. The first 5 I did in the typical box art custodes colours, they look ok but I primed them with retributor gold spray which clogged some of the finer details. quite happy with it, just need to get better at highlighting I think!

IMG-1069.jpg

IMG-1067.jpg

IMG-1066.jpg

IMG-1074.jpg

Brightened up the eyes a bit for the last shot but not convinced by blue on silver so the next one will get a black faceplate.

Soldato
Just wondering are those models I got in the deathwing box lacking options? Because if so I will just buy the new boxes that are available for pre-orders today and keep that one unopened.

Knights are ok because they don't have any. Actually I think the terminators are just normal ones except they can take plasma and that is on the upgrade sprue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it bad that I found a Redgrass wet palette version 2 in one of my drawers unused!!

also just plucked up the courage to use one of my Artis Opus brushes I got last Christmas lol. Edge highlighting with the 00 isnt too shabby

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it bad that I found a Redgrass wet palette version 2 in one of my drawers unused!!

also just plucked up the courage to use one of my Artis Opus brushes I got last Christmas lol. Edge highlighting with the 00 isnt too shabby

I've ruined a good few of the AO brushes but they're disposables so not too fussed, though I never was never precious with them in that I didn't use them for metallics or contrast or whatever.
However, I'm more than happy with cheaper Sable brushes I have got from other brands such as green stuff, world and some other ones I forgot.

I am no longer tempted to buy any airbrush paints because I'm not having any difficulties in thinning the regular ones myself so it's just completely unnecessary.

Edit. For clarity, I'm not suggesting I'd buy £15 brushes regularly if I was ruining them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Airbrush paints can have its uses like painting large armies. More a time safer than anything.

Almost finished my repaint of Halder Iceplet and my assault intercession Sergeant.

Transfered some of my most used GW paints over to droppers might pick up the TTC alternative once they run out.

Sounds daft but I’ve always been a little bit intimidated to use the AO brushes. Always had the idea to use them once I’m a better painter. I hate edge highlighting but I didn’t really mind doing it today with the AO 00. Found it quite satisfying.

I’m a little disappointed with my W&N miniature brushes in comparison with the AO. I did hear the normal W&N was better than the miniature range. It’s the AO S series’s set I have. They have a longer bristles.

I have the raphael 8404 size two and 0. They were great to start off with but didn’t last long before they had trouble holding their point but more disappointing was the wooden handles started to crack and chunks chipped out.

Think the worst brushes I have bought is a big bag of golden talfon out of home bargains and GW base brushes. They are horrible. The GW layers brushes both old and new ain’t bad.

Won’t go to waste anyhows. Oils, enamels and my daughters will get use out of them :D

Associate
Airbrush paints can have its uses like painting large armies. More a time safer than anything.

Almost finished my repaint of Halder Iceplet and my assault intercession Sergeant.

Transfered some of my most used GW paints over to droppers might pick up the TTC alternative once they run out.

Sounds daft but I’ve always been a little bit intimidated to use the AO brushes. Always had the idea to use them once I’m a better painter. I hate edge highlighting but I didn’t really mind doing it today with the AO 00. Found it quite satisfying.

I’m a little disappointed with my W&N miniature brushes in comparison with the AO. I did hear the normal W&N was better than the miniature range. It’s the AO S series’s set I have. They have a longer bristles.

I have the raphael 8404 size two and 0. They were great to start off with but didn’t last long before they had trouble holding their point but more disappointing was the wooden handles started to crack and chunks chipped out.

Think the worst brushes I have bought is a big bag of golden talfon out of home bargains and GW base brushes. They are horrible. The GW layers brushes both old and new ain’t bad.

Won’t go to waste anyhows. Oils, enamels and my daughters will get use out of them :D

I have the same set of AO brushes. I like the two smallest ones but seem to have trouble with the 0 and 1 - can never get the right amount of paint on the brush. It's almost like the bristles are too long. Probably just me being bad at painting though. Might've been a bad idea buying nice brushes since my custodes are all metallic trim haha!

Last edited:
Soldato
I always thought the temptation with this hobby would be to buy more miniatures however, it seems to be the actual paints etc instead.
If anyone except AP had launched a box of paints as big as the Fanatic one then guarantee I'd have it. So in a way I suppose I should be grateful.

Was looking in to air paints I don't need again, it's a shame the ranges are so limited even with the Vallejo ones. I've also gone very off piste and looked at some very interesting stuff on https://culturehustle.com/

Honestly, sometimes it's just because I think something would look nice on the shelf :rolleyes:

Case in point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ordered more paint last night since it’s payday. New game colour Fluorescent Magenta (only fluorescent I was missing from the range gota catch them all!!), Glacier Blue and squid pink. ( I heard it’s the one and only proper pink that looks like pink!!)

@Noxia

It’s a cycle. More plastic equals more supplies needed equals more plastic to used said supplies!! Well that’s how I look at it my head.

@RobHu
I must give the AO s2 and S1 try. For super fine detail the zeros are superb best I’ve used. For a 1 and 2 I think you need a fat belly with nice tip that’s not too long.

Soldato
Looks great Roman, can see contrasts would work well on it, to the point that if I had it, I'm not sure I would actually be using my airbrush for a lot of that. Be interested to know how you handled it.

Unsure how I'm going to do my Deathwing at the moment.
I like how this looks, can I assume I can skip the brush glazing step for the darker bits on the leg by just using my airbrush with an extra thinned paint instead?

Seen a few recipes but I'll need to get that balance between speed and quality.
I think with my iron hands terminators I am going to try do a thick outline initially with corax black because that is obviously grey and I think it may work, then I can do lighter grey.
I know that blue is more commonly used with black armour but I just can't see it working with these. Especially as they aren't true black.

I can see me getting an AOS army ready for 4th. It will be good to diversify the games I have available a little bit. Still looking at all of the armies. It's quite hard to pick just one.

Also dumb question but how am I supposed to know when a paint has reached it's maximum....hue/contrast (really need to do basic colour theory). Like if I've done 2-3 coats, I'm unsure if I've reached the peak of that colour, example being my tech marine, red doesn't look as vibrant as the Siege Studios pdf I was following.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks great Roman, can see contrasts would work well on it, to the point that if I had it, I'm not sure I would actually be using my airbrush for a lot of that. Be interested to know how you handled it.

Unsure how I'm going to do my Deathwing at the moment.
I like how this looks, can I assume I can skip the brush glazing step for the darker bits on the leg by just using my airbrush with an extra thinned paint instead?

Seen a few recipes but I'll need to get that balance between speed and quality.
I think with my iron hands terminators I am going to try do a thick outline initially with corax black because that is obviously grey and I think it may work, then I can do lighter grey.
I know that blue is more commonly used with black armour but I just can't see it working with these. Especially as they aren't true black.

I can see me getting an AOS army ready for 4th. It will be good to diversify the games I have available a little bit. Still looking at all of the armies. It's quite hard to pick just one.
The only paint that was airbrushed was the white primer, everything else on the model was painted by hand, contrast paints for the majority of him, shades on top of the metallics, the stone base was 2 coats of shade, targor rageshade then agrax earthshade on top with tryrant skull drybrushed over the top.

I have got some leaves that I will scatter on the base once all the painting is done.

Soldato
The only paint that was airbrushed was the white primer, everything else on the model was painted by hand, contrast paints for the majority of him, shades on top of the metallics, the stone base was 2 coats of shade, targor rageshade then agrax earthshade on top with tryrant skull drybrushed over the top.

I have got some leaves that I will scatter on the base once all the painting is done.

Oh well reminded, I need to get a white primer and a grey one as well. Got rattle cans for light grey and wraithbone but eventually I'll move it all to airbrushing as I whittle through them. The chaos black is empty now.

Might see how I can get on with 0.2mm needle as well, assuming one is available for the Infinity but I'm sure it is.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh well reminded, I need to get a white primer and a grey one as well. Got rattle cans for light grey and wraithbone but eventually I'll move it all to airbrushing as I whittle through them. The chaos black is empty now.

Might see how I can get on with 0.2mm needle as well, assuming one is available for the Infinity but I'm sure it is.
Get yourself some of the micro filler primer from AK Interactive, emodels sell it for around £8.00 a bottle cheaper than Amazon at present ;)

I use both the grey and white from AK Interactive, no need to thin it, it works straight from the bottle.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom