Tabletop Warhammer?

Yes that's the correct one, you will also need some cellulose thinner to clean out your airbrush after use.

Bloody hell, there's always another bottle of something needed it seems! Just added a satin varnish to my basket too.

Treated myself to the Inner Circle Companions and another box of DW Knights. Never ever intended on playing them but I'm a sucker for the terminators. Got a couple of pics to upload later too. I've tried two different edge highlights and undecided which I prefer.

Last edited:
Bloody hell, there's always another bottle of something needed it seems! Just added a satin varnish to my basket too.

Treated myself to the Inner Circle Companions and another box of DW Knights. Never ever intended on playing them but I'm a sucker for the terminators. Got a couple of pics to upload later too. I've tried two different edge highlights and undecided which I prefer.
Looking forward to seeing the photos my friend :)

Ok so this is the one with just one thin edge highlight, note to self, don't try this on days when I take my ADHD meds as it makes my hands shakey. This is the method I think I prefer as it's more subtle.

This is my first attempt of a thick + thin highlight, granted I wasn't being too careful but not sure if it is better or not:

Last edited:
Man I love your grim dark-ish style with the chipped armour and weathering, and your colours always have this amazing "pastel-y" matte finish to them that is great!

Cheers :) the matte comes from AK ultra matte varnish. I wonder if it’s too matte sometimes but I do like it I think. They look almost dusty sometimes but I like the effect generally

Ok so this is the one with just one thin edge highlight, note to self, don't try this on days when I take my ADHD meds as it makes my hands shakey. This is the method I think I prefer as it's more subtle.

This is my first attempt of a thick + thin highlight, granted I wasn't being too careful but not sure if it is better or not:

Well done I really like those :)

Great work as always. really like the autumn leaves.

Re my termies: Do you have an opinion on if the chunky+thin edge highlight is better or just the thin edge one?
I prefer the thin one :)

Many thanks for the compliment, only bought the leaves a couple of days ago I was browsing Amazon for some tufts and the leaves popped up and thought why not.

Looks like I will add them to the other Flesh Eaters bases now ;) they are a bit of a bugger to put on though & dont sneeze when you are putting them on lol.

Last edited:
I prefer the thin one :)

Many thanks for the compliment, only bought the leaves a couple of days ago I was browsing Amazon for some tufts and the leaves popped up and thought why not.

Looks like I will add them to the other Flesh Eaters bases now ;) they are a bit of a bugger to put on though & dont sneeze when you are putting them on lol.

Glad you said that because the other is more work lol.

Must not buy Redgrass Sable size two paint brush. Even this it’s looks perfect!!

I want a couple of new brushes. I've seen ones with really short tips and all mine are quite long which can add to mistakes at times.

I think Rosemary & Co Series 33 seemed reasonable enough.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do a gloss varnish before transfers and recess washing, then after that it gets an ultra matte. Then I paint everything else, bit more ultra matte, then metallics and it’s done.

Did my first human face in a long time last night.

Any info on the airbrush set up you use?

I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO BUY ONE AT THE MOMENT :cry:

But good to have some info for when I do have the space!

I use a Cult of Paint H&S infinity but that’s not because my talent requires it (it absolutely does not I am like half a step past beginner with an airbrush), I just really like cult of paint and the airbrush looks sick, and it’s really light. I just treated myself basically.

The 2024 Ultras and Evolutions from H&S look really good and have some nice features especially for a beginner.

I’ve got the current Ultra as well and I really like it. Has the same mechanism essentially as any other H&S airbrush and isn’t mega money.

My compressor is a sil-air 15d which was stupid expensive but I only paid so much because it’s silent, your normal AS-186 compressors with tanks work just as well they’re just a bit noisier. I paint right next to the party wall and I wanted to be able to airbrush whenever I wanted and that’s 100% of the motivation for the sil-air.

To add, I have two, one is a cheap one from Amazon for £20, comes with various needles 0.2/0.3/0.4. I got it as an airhose was about a tenner and this came with it so thought it would be a good one for just priming (although you can absolutely do it with more expensive ones). My other is a Cult of Paint Infinity which is a 0.4mm needle, I would not suggest using a more expensive one until you are comfortable with cleaning and breaking down a cheaper one (although they do have a few differences in parts).

Depending on your environment I would strongly suggest a respirator mask, I didn't use one for one session and had a massive headache. I also have a very cheap extractor unit which I don't actually use the extraction on, just have the box to spray in to currently. Note the fan is actually very good for the job but it is very loud.

Compressor wise, I started with a Sparmax...something that @roman59 has, but it had some cosmetic damage, which was significant enough I felt I should return. In the meantime I got a cheap one from Amazon, it had an issue with the pressure but I realised it was because the gauge thing with the numbers was a bit warped and that stopped the needle going past a certain point (it was working fine), I sorted that and actually it's really good so I am sticking with it for now.

I was actually put off airbrushing because I started with a cheap one (weighed a lot), so if you do go for a cheap one (not sure on any cheap but light ones) and its the ergonomics that put you off, bear in mind that ones like the Infinity are much more pleasant.

If budgeting do not forget the additional that add up:

Airbrush thinner (advisable even if using airbrush paints just in case), airbrush cleaner, little pot thing to hold your airbrush and can spray in to, flow improver.
Then there are things not essential but make life easier like the bottles with the necks so you can easily squirt stuff into the airbrush, small pointy cotton buds (that don't leave strands/fluff), one of the little pokey/pipe cleaner type kits.

Last edited:
Noxia, those black marines are looking great, couple of dabs of paint for their eyes and lenses and you could even call them done. Very smooth looking finish and nice highlights that blend in really well.

Both edge highlight methods you did look store display ready to me and very dextrous application too. Once you get base and other small details finished will look amazing, often the final details that really pull the model together.

Tiny brush and magnifying lamp can help get those eyes and lenses done and I really think you'll have a great finished model.

I use a Cult of Paint H&S infinity but that’s not because my talent requires it (it absolutely does not I am like half a step past beginner with an airbrush), I just really like cult of paint and the airbrush looks sick, and it’s really light. I just treated myself basically.

The 2024 Ultras and Evolutions from H&S look really good and have some nice features especially for a beginner.

I’ve got the current Ultra as well and I really like it. Has the same mechanism essentially as any other H&S airbrush and isn’t mega money.

My compressor is a sil-air 15d which was stupid expensive but I only paid so much because it’s silent, your normal AS-186 compressors with tanks work just as well they’re just a bit noisier. I paint right next to the party wall and I wanted to be able to airbrush whenever I wanted and that’s 100% of the motivation for the sil-air.

What would you say your set up cost? I could look for myself but I know what will happen :o

Thanks for the extra info @Noxia !

@Megahurtz400 I can whole heartedly recommend Harder and Steinbeck. If you are in no hurry for one wait till the new Ultras come in stock.

I have the old Ultra and the Cult of paint infinity with the trigger mod to improve trigger response.

Their customer support is second to none and that’s speaking from experience. I wear their landyard round my neck in work that they threw in with a few freebie’s when they sent out a part.

Kinda repeating what Noxia has said. You don’t want your first experience with an airbrush to be a bad one. H&S are set up to be completely user friendly and many of the spares run across multiple ranges.

Back
Top Bottom