Tamzzy's back to air-cooling ITX build

Man of Honour
OP
Can i ask, why did you buy that case?
i've always preferred smaller builds (hence all my computers have been matx/itx builds) and i did like the rvz01. the rvz03 is less garish in comparison, so the natural choice when comparing both together
yes i know you can get smaller cases than the rvz03 - like the dancase, ncase, sliger etc - but those are like 150-200+ quid and i didn't want to spend silly money. (and even if i did, i still wouldn't have bought those cases as i'd have spent the extra and got the 3900x instead...lol)

Man of Honour
OP
I am looking at building a complete ITX system or buying the Asrock A300
well i think you're looking at 2 totally different spectrums of the SFF market lol. the Asrock A300 is a "proper SFF", where as the RVZ03 (although still small) can be considered more as a powerhouse small build.
i think you need to decide first what you want, and then see what your budget is.

Soldato
@Plec even with insufficient tim, it's still maintaining it's boost clocks. albeit at 95c lol :p
Poor, underappreciated CPU, with 7 year old pea sized blob of MX2 and then subjected to synthetic stress tests. (8g of MX4!!!) :D

What are the PCH temps/fan RPM. Assuming it's probably the one area that may have to work that little bit harder considering limited airflow.

Man of Honour
OP
7 year old pea sized blob of MX2
it's less than pea sized. probably more like half a grain of rice ;) i wasn't kidding when i said i wasn't going to waste tim on what is, essentially a test run lol

PCH temps
54c at gaming loads - its getting cooled by both the tweeny chipset fan and also the gentle typhoon via the cpu cooler

CPU fan = 1790 rpm (always max speed)
2x 120mm slim fans on the GPU intake side = 800rpm (again, always max speed)

1080ti = 75c @ 60% PWM roughly 2200rpm at gaming loads

Soldato
Got these 2 comparisons:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G VEGA Graphics AM4 CPU w/ Wraith Stealth Cooler

AMD B450 I AORUS PRO ac WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz RAM/Memory Kit 2x 8GB

Intel 660p 512GB M.2 PCIe QLC 3D Performance NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

EVGA GM 550 Watt 80+ Gold SFX PSU/Power Supply fully modular

(Already own an ITX Metis case)

£427

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G VEGA Graphics AM4 CPU w/ Wraith Stealth Cooler

Asrock A300 case

Intel 660p 512GB M.2 PCIe QLC 3D Performance NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 SODIMM 2400MHz Laptop Memory 2x8GB

ASRock USB 2.0 Header to 2 x USB 2.0 Cable for DeskMini Series Chassis

ASRock Wifi Kit for The Deskmini Mini-Stx Chassis X Antennas

£425

Soldato
>discrete GPU not required <
If this is for office work/very light, non-demanding gaming then the above are solid choices and depending on where it's going i would choose aesthetic/form factor over potential upgrade path (would choose a different M.2. drive).

That said - i personally would prefer build number one as it would give me the the foundation to uproot and move to a more substantial build if my needs/games tastes changed in the future.

EDIT: Do you own the memory already for build number 1?

Last edited:
Soldato
it's less than pea sized. probably more like half a grain of rice ;) i wasn't kidding when i said i wasn't going to waste tim on what is, essentially a test run lol
LOL - if you apply this logic to your first dates (test run) you must make quite the impression. Fridge left-overs and a drink if she/he/none binary is lucky and then still holding out for fourth base near the end of the date :D

54c at gaming loads - its getting cooled by both the tweeny chipset fan and also the gentle typhoon via the cpu cooler

CPU fan = 1790 rpm (always max speed)
2x 120mm slim fans on the GPU intake side = 800rpm (again, always max speed)

1080ti = 75c @ 60% PWM roughly 2200rpm at gaming loads
If i do start looking seriously at the FTZ10B for a living room PC - i may ask you to briefly experiment with a curve to see how it performs.

No need to now -as:
  1. i'm pretty sure your CPU would spit its dummy out at the test curve i would want to try with only a fraction of the CPU covered :p.
  2. it may be a pipe dream; but this Xbox one X i got for the kids isn't being used - so may sell it/both - as i know a PC would get some use. Tried Steam Link - but too hit and miss but great for Jackbox.
  3. you will have better things to do with your new toy.

Soldato
If this is for office work/very light, non-demanding gaming then the above are solid choices and depending on where it's going i would choose aesthetic/form factor over potential upgrade path (would choose a different M.2. drive).

That said - i personally would prefer build number one as it would give me the the foundation to uproot and move to a more substantial build if my needs/games tastes changed in the future.

EDIT: Do you own the memory already for build number 1?

No i dont. I would have to buy everything except the case.

Man of Honour
OP
LOL - if you apply this logic to your first dates (test run) you must make quite the impression. Fridge left-overs and a drink if she/he/none binary is lucky and then still holding out for fourth base near the end of the date :D
instantly eliminates the gold diggers :)

If i do start looking seriously at the FTZ10B for a living room PC - i may ask you to briefly experiment with a curve to see how it performs.
it's surprisingly quieter than my old rig. granted that having 4 gentle typhoons may have skewed the comparison somewhat...

Soldato
@Plec @tamzzy ain't paying for the case so many ght as well go nuts with little time I have :D
Great - get that dremel charged.

No i dont. I would have to buy everything except the case.
You need to sub the memory out for 3000MHz/3200MHz memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (AES) - set tighter timings even if you can't clock) to get the optimum performance out of Ryzen (Price difference is nominal)

Soldato
Great - get that dremel charged.

You need to sub the memory out for 3000MHz/3200MHz memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (AES) - set tighter timings even if you can't clock) to get the optimum performance out of Ryzen (Price difference is nominal)

Depending if i wanted to game massively i guess. I will be gaming but obviously at low settings.

I guess first option gives me the chance at a later date to get a dedicated gpu if i so wished

Soldato
Depending if i wanted to game massively i guess. I will be gaming but obviously at low settings.

I guess first option gives me the chance at a later date to get a dedicated gpu if i so wished
The Crucial is E-Die memory - and is approx ~80. It's premium performance for minimal outlay - and would compliment Zen-2 (and clock) were you to upgrade in the future.

For example - @tamzzy has clocked his 3200MHz sticks to 3733MHz C16 with minimum effort - on a Zen-2 build.

Soldato
The Crucial is E-Die memory - and is approx ~80. It's premium performance for minimal outlay - and would compliment Zen-2 (and clock) were you to upgrade in the future.

For example - @tamzzy has clocked his 3200MHz sticks to 3733MHz C16 with minimum effort - on a Zen-2 build.

Right, i see. Any link to that memory just in case i look at the wrong one. Ta

Soldato
Right, i see. Any link to that memory just in case i look at the wrong one. Ta
I can't give you a link but as OcUK don't sell it i can give you name and product code - but know it can be bought for £80 when looking:

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D32AESBK

Back
Top Bottom