Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Soldato
I guess adding in another 2 * 8gb before I should reset all my timings and just check it all boots and then start tinkering with timings from afresh?
Should have followed my own advice.
Plugged it in, booted up and it went straight to Windows.

Checked it said 32gb. Went to bios, checked the settings, all as per my OC settings, then did 7 hours of memtest.

Just gone into cpu-Z noticed the timings are all stock 2400 :(

Turns out I had to reapply settings again for them to be picked up.

Will run memtest during the day tomorrow :(

Grrr.

Soldato
OK. So kicked off the run tonight. My tighter secondaries do not work with all sticks populated. Failed quickly on 1st test 5 of memtest.

Set to XMP and all secondaries to Auto and running now..... seems to have got further. Will check in 20mins and then go to sleep and hope for a successful 4 passes and work from there.

Soldato
OK. Decided to shutdown the machine over night. Wasn't of clear mind.

I've loaded my oc profile this morning and loosened timings methodically and still getting failures with 4 sticks.

I've set all memory to auto and loaded XMP and am now running memtest for 4 passes.

Still making stupid mistakes, I've left the dram voltage at 1.4 rather than auto (1.35). But will see where I get to on this run.

Looks like running 4 sticks is a different beast. Perhaps I should test the pairs individually.

Soldato
OK. I'm failing with all sticks in with XMP and a voltage boost to 1.4

Interestingly the ram has a build date of 1520. What last week?

I'm testing my first bought pair of ram with XMP now.

Will then test the new ram on their own and then start to test the ram in the other slots.

Soldato
OK. I'm failing with all sticks in with XMP and a voltage boost to 1.4

Interestingly the ram has a build date of 1520. What last week?

I'm testing my first bought pair of ram with XMP now.

Will then test the new ram on their own and then start to test the ram in the other slots.
What's your soc voltage?

Soldato
What's your soc voltage?
Not sure actually. BIOS would have that set to Auto for sure though.

This is going to be a long drawn out testing procedure.

Ill make sure original ram still works in slot 2/4
Then test new ram in slot 2/4

Then test both ram pairs again but in slots 1/3

Damn was hoping for an easy ride.

I do know that all 4 sticks together passed 4 runs of memtest but only at stock 2400mhz.

Soldato
I would start with 1.1 and incrementally increase up to 1.15 while testing each step.
OK. So original ram passed 3 passes of memtest. I've quit as it has done over night fine before and have no reason to think its gone bad.

New set is now in and I'll let this run for 4 passes, or until it fails obs.

I check the SOC. Is on Auto and in hwino. Its maxing out at 1.108v, but is going to average around 1.098 in the short time I monitored it. I have a multi meter so could check on the mobo.

If this happens to pass, I'll put all sticks in and set the SOC to 1.1275 manually and see if that helps.

I feel that as the memtest has passed with all sticks at stock default setting it might be I can't run xmp with 4 dimms. Which is disappointing, as I don't need the ram at the moment, so if I use it I'll end up with worst performance. If I can get it stable that is.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 passes of the new ram done, another 2 hours for a full 4.

I had an issue where the machine would not reboot after the first memtest run. Just kept freezing at the bios screen. A psu off and on sorted than after a hard press of the power button to shutdown first.

Soldato
OK so new ram is 4 pass good in memtest in slots a2 and b2.

I've installed both pairs and kept them on the same channel. Shouldn't make any difference as they are the same kits but build a few months a part. I didn't do this last time.

I've set SOC to one notch over 1.1 (that fixes it and stops it going below 1.1, as it did on Auto). I've also set some of the other ram settings like procodt and rtt_nom and cad bus etc as per an online guide and looking at the dram safe calculator.

Running a quick memtest (excluding the hammer test at the end) to see how it goes before I call it a day.

This is all XMP with no fruity secondaries tightened.

If it all works, which I doubt, I'll do a full 4 runs tomorrow of memtest (Inc hammer test).

Associate
I would have expected you to be able to use the Fast option tbh.
I know your doing baby steps but do at least try it.
The correct CAD bus and Termination block settings can be very important for stability and I think a lot of people don't even bother changing them.
Then wonder why they have problems.
Do you have gear down enabled?
I have it enabled to allow my 32Gb to run at 14.14.14
My Taichi X570 is of course T topology which is better for 4 Dimms.

Back
Top Bottom