Terraria - Dig, fight, explore, build

Caporegime
Well, obliterated expert Skele Prime - he's much, much, much easier than the others. Actually Skele Prime is annoyingly easy, given how much difficulty I'm still having with The Twins.

It just seems to be completely impossible to avoid Spazmatism's bum-rushing (without resorting to cheesy minecart tactics :p)

Caporegime
I've just noticed that my world doesn't seem to have a surface hallowed biome. This is some time after killings the WoF and all the demon alters. Is this normal?

Before long you'll have hallow and corrupt/crimson /everywhere/, and you'll wish you'd stopped it from spreading :p

You can protect areas by making a 3 tile wide tunnel all around them. Useful, because if you let your whole world go hallow/corrupt, you'll stop getting the vanilla monsters spawning, and be unable to fish for certain items.

Soldato
Finally defeated the 3 mech bosses on normal. Plantera next! I've struggled without a philosophers stone though. I'll try and get one of those first.

Also is it worth going for Turtle armour vs Plantera or just sticking with Chlorophyte (ranged?)

Associate
As someone who's never ever played this game, I enjoy reading this thread an amazing amount. It's like eavsdropping on communications in some strange secret language, but everyone likes each other.

Soldato
Actually it's all a conspiracy and we are secretly just talking gibberish in the hope that someone eventually falls for our incredibly tedious in-joke!!!

We can close the thread now :D

Soldato
Finally defeated the 3 mech bosses on normal. Plantera next! I've struggled without a philosophers stone though. I'll try and get one of those first.

Also is it worth going for Turtle armour vs Plantera or just sticking with Chlorophyte (ranged?)

Not sure about ranged, but for melee I skipped turtle armor entirely, I used Chloro for the DPS until Fishron who I had to swap to beetle armor for the defence.

Caporegime

Either is fine. Plantera isn't actually that hard. Or rather, she can be, but she doesn't have to be :p

I knew I'd have problems, so made a huge arena, many times bigger than my screen :p I then summoned her, and got whooped. Twice. It wasn't even close, she just opened a can of whoop ass and killed me in a couple hits.

Frustrated, I turned to YouTube. What the heck? She isn't doing half as much damage to these guys, and she looks like she's been drugged? Why is my Plantera so much faster and more lethal?

Well, reading the comments, I found out why. My arena was so large, it didn't count as jungle any more, and I'd been fighting her "enraged" form without knowing it.

So I put some mud blocks back in, and made sure the jungle music played everywhere inside the arena (music + background is the give away).

In her normal, "drugged" form, I beat her first try :p

Caporegime
Made a hardcore character (permadeath) and died on the 2nd night :p

Zombie spawned inside my mineshaft which was sealed at the top. To play HC, you really need to know the game inside out, like where monsters can spawn and where they can't.

Turns out they most definately /can/ spawn on platforms, inside mineshafts :p

I'm honestly not sure if playing with permadeath makes the game more exciting, or just more tedious.

Caporegime
Another hardcore death, this time to a boulder trap.

I'm seriously doubting my ability to play this hardcore for any length of time :p

Traps are pretty difficult to spot most of the time, and the boulder traps mean instant death for a long time, until you get a decent amount of health upgrades.

Caporegime
Re the Destroyer.

All the strats on the web say that if you stand on a platform high in the air he can't get to you.

I literally just built a platform in space, summoned him, and he got up there.

The guides are for 1.3.0.7 which is the latest version, but he doesn't want to behave the way the guides say he ought to. In my game he basically doesn't care if there are blocks to move through or not, evidently. How the heck else could he get up into space?

Soldato
If you jump too high above the platform I found the Destroyer will come up and get you, keep your feet planted on the ground and he stays in place. My skybridge comes in super useful, killed the Twins and Skeletron Prime by just running away and shooting with a minishark, then turning round and run right back :p Destroyer was taken care of by cutting a little hole, making a little dome over it with gaps to get in and out and just shooting down.

Plantera was actually fairly easy, its a bit of a pain carving out an arena around the bulb but with wings you just fly rings around him :p

Just finished grinding my way to the Ankh shield, have all the components of the cellphone now apart from the fishing rewards but its so dull having to get bait all the time lol

Caporegime
Oh gee the fishing... I feel your pain :p I'm doing that on 3 chars and it really sucks the fun out of the game :p

Also I gave up on the hardcore runs. Hardcore is doable, but makes the game a ton more stressful, and crucially, much, much slower paced. Every single thing you do must be done with maximum caution, with an escape plan in mind. Every ten steps you have to brick off where you've come from, esp in the early game.

It boils down to:

-wall yourself off from everything that doesn't move through blocks.
-always teleport away from bad situations
-don't have bad luck

A single bit of bad luck can and will end a hardcore character. There is just no way to prevent every death in this game.

You also realise come hardmode just how many enemies in the game /can/ move or attack through blocks. Only takes a single corrupt/hallowed mimic to join in a fight and you go splat quite quickly.

Soldato
I was thinking about starting a Hardcore character but now you have put me off slightly :p

I'm at Moon Lord stage on normal mode. Have summoned him once but died so I think I need to rethink my strategy and use a skybridge or minecart (cheating?!).

My thoughts at the moment:
- Vortex blaster + chlorophyte bullets wrecks everything. Not tried the bow counterpart, is it better?
- I've noticed some good potions need types of fish. I've so far refused to take fishing seriously on the basis that it seems like the most boring grind one could undertake. Are the devs trolling us? I've not used an inventory editor so far but this fishing nonsense is going to tip me over the edge.

Associate
I was thinking about starting a Hardcore character but now you have put me off slightly :p

I'm at Moon Lord stage on normal mode. Have summoned him once but died so I think I need to rethink my strategy and use a skybridge or minecart (cheating?!).

My thoughts at the moment:
- Vortex blaster + chlorophyte bullets wrecks everything. Not tried the bow counterpart, is it better?
- I've noticed some good potions need types of fish. I've so far refused to take fishing seriously on the basis that it seems like the most boring grind one could undertake. Are the devs trolling us? I've not used an inventory editor so far but this fishing nonsense is going to tip me over the edge.

Well there is one boss you can only get by fishing me thinks

Soldato
Nah I think you need the truffle worm for Duke Fishron which you get from a mushroom biome. Annoyingly I accidentally killed the first and only truffle worm I've seen. Possibly another example where an inventory editor will eventually come into play :(

Back
Top Bottom