Terraria - Dig, fight, explore, build

Caporegime
Mouldy I think (foxeye). I'm... meh, not really but kinda still popping in occasionally to try an expert mode boss.

I'm happy to jump on if someone wants to try something coop. But since the it was just me I started a new char in a SP expert world. My world is Crimson which I haven't seen yet.

Caporegime
Hit a real brick wall in my solo playthrough (mage). Got to the mechanical bosses in hard mode and can't make a dent in any of em. Full adamantite, every potion there is, but there's way too much incoming damage and I can't seem to get out of the way of their attacks. Eg the destroyer, his head hits for 200 damage :/

Which proves really that I was not contributing much in our MP sessions. I wanted to do these SP just to see if I could, and they are kicking my backside something cronic.

Soldato
Hmmm, for bosses generally either dodge more ( :p ) or go wander around the cavern layer till you find a cross necklace from a mimic. Then do that trick I was at with the spike (you basically need a damage source you can passively out-heal).

I took a world I was building, made a copy then plunged it into hard mode :D Can happily hit wave 11 on pumpkin moon (though I'm only on regular, not expert) and have cleared the towers but it's all got a bit stale again now. Back playing other stuff (elite, new vegas, planetside 2) again atm :)

As a random tip for the "invasion" type bosses though, set up a load of 1 way teleporters to a lava pit (put a "anything but player" button on top of the teleporter, have the other end on a thin ledge above lava). The mechanicals though - no idea, I always end up melee-ing them. That terra blade is... relatively easy to make, if not then even Excalibur etc may well do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Flying knife is awesome for destroyer, just hang out in a 20*20 (30*30 might be easier to dodge him, but it means the flying dudes have more space to attack you from) box with a 3 block gap or something at the bottom to attack through and spam the flying knife through his body.

Nimbus staff above the gap adds a lot of damage if you can get it/have it since it only needs refreshed every minute and will be pretty much constantly hitting several parts at a time.

If you cba farming mimics for the flying knife, anything that pierces should be fine tbh, that was just the best weapon I had at the time when I did it.

Just make sure you don't get hit by his head, always dodge his head even if you know it means running through his body to get safe afterwards, his head does 3 times as much damage as his body.

Finished all the bosses a couple days a go on expert, was surprised how easy they all were (apart from Fishron, he was more the level I expected) considering how terrible I am (I die all the time to normal mobs and died a ton to normal mode bosses). The only hardmode boss I legit died to was Moon Lord (once) and Fishron (quite a few :D), I also died to Destroyer and then thought the fight was super broken and insanely difficult, then I realised I was wearing my fishing set :D, and once to Plantera because I had huge fps lag the first time I spawned her and basically lost 60% of my hp in the first 5 seconds because I couldn't move properly.

The fire pillar should have spawned after killing Moon Lord IMO, much harder final boss, so many deaths until I started just stepping in and out to spawn a few dudes at a time :p, but that's super boring, need to come up with a better way to do that I think.

Still need to do Frost Moon, did Pumpkin Moon earlier and got about 13k points iirc.

Soldato
Found a vortex beater (or even combat shotgun) was pretty effective against fire pillar. You just gotta stay on the ground so the centipede doesn't attack you :) I just backed up to a wall with an overhang and spammed shotgun till everything died (switching to terra blade if they bumrushed me)

Soldato
Vortex beater is the pillar gun right? I made both the range weapons so I'll give that a try, will probably give it a try with full summoner and see how well an 8 long dragon does defending me as well.

The main problem with it is the dude that spins through blocks, all the other mobs are fine, I just need to dodge the spinny ones better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, as possibly the slowest Terraria player out there I finally got round to defeating my first mechanical boss, The Destroyer (on my first go! normal mode though). As for The Twins and Skeletron Prime I was thinking about going for a Megashark and ranged armour (titanium). Is that a good choice?

I defeated The Destroyer with melee armour and a fairly decent yoyo.

Caporegime
Well, as possibly the slowest Terraria player out there I finally got round to defeating my first mechanical boss, The Destroyer (on my first go! normal mode though). As for The Twins and Skeletron Prime I was thinking about going for a Megashark and ranged armour (titanium). Is that a good choice?

I defeated The Destroyer with melee armour and a fairly decent yoyo.

Expert or normal?

The /only/ boss I can beat on expert is the Destroyer. With the Twins, I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. They absolutely shred me.

Have an arena, heart lanterns, wisp lanterns, every kind of potion, Hallowed armour, Nurse on standby... they mince me time and time again, and I just can't do enough DPS before my health is depleted.

Soldato
Do you guys have wings yet? I'd get those first if you don't, an easy way is either from the witch doctor (he sells some at night if his house is in a jungle biome) or the steampunker (the jet pack is sold during a waxing moon), the witch doctor's are better.

I'd say Skeletron first, he was super easy, just have a long platform to run along (with campfires and heart lanterns where needed) and run back and forth, use the wings to jump over his head when you get to the end. As long as you jump when needed and don't stop moving it should be pretty easy.

For Twins kill the green dude first, I used the same arena for these too. Just keep running away and jumping when needed, and when you get to the end just fly over them and go the other way (I think you might only be able to jump over them when they're in their phase 2, I can't remember, just try and avoid damage when changing directions). As long as you keep moving you should avoid pretty much all damage from the guy at the top since he shoots down at where you were, you'll have to jump a bit to dodge the guy level with you. The only part that's really dangerous is green dude's green breath, make sure you stay out of range of that.

I'm guessing you included a well fed buff with the potions? If not get that too as it allows regen to work properly in expert.

Avoid using a load of platform layers in your arena as it significantly reduces the speed you can fall to the ground, you should only need the wings and ground level for both of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just started playing this cool game and its soooo fun...

I will make a server on my spare pc for me and my friend to play on.
I have seen some cool videos on ytb.
Do I need the wings ?

Soldato
You'll need (technically they're not needed, but you need them really) wings once you get into hardmode, they're not available before then though.

Wait why do i need to get to hard mode? Is it after i kill wall of flash ? I got rekt by it with my wooden armor yesterday.

Soldato
Yeah, killing wall of flesh makes that world enter hardmode. Hardmode has new ores, bosses, items, biome etc.

You don't need to rush to enter it, but it's part of the natural progression of a game. You definitely don't want to be entering hardmode in wooden armor :D.

There's a ton of stuff to do before then, there's 6 bosses pre hardmode (7 if you go to a different world and kill the counterpart boss in crimson/corruption), so you've still got a while to go before then :).

Back
Top Bottom