Tesco's USA sweet goodies!

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Hershey's chocolate is horrible. My chocolate consumption has reduced a LOT.

You'd also be incredibly lucky to find Twinkies anywhere at this point. Your best bet would be to try to find Cloud Cakes.

Soldato
OP
Was this a Tesco extra store or just a normal one? Haven't got any of this in the Tesco near me

Well, they're at my local Tesco in my high street which they call a superstore but in fact, it's not one of the big ones, it's a very average sized store. I just drove to another one near me which is massive and called Tesco Extra but they've got absolutely no USA stuff there which surprised me.

root beer!

Do they have root beer, that's all I want to know.

You'll be pleased to know that there's Boylan's cane sugar root beer 335ml bottles for £1.50 and Boylans cane sugar black cherry caffeine in a same sized bottle for £1.60. :) You can just see the tops of the bottles at the bottom left of my first picture.

Well, they only have the dark chocolate pretzels left and I wanted the milk chocolate with peanut butter ones. :( They're out of stock along with butterfinger choc bar and baby ruth choc bar. But I was told they're all being delivered tonight and should be in the shop tomorrow. I'm sort of hesitant though about paying £3.25 for a small handful of pretzels, it's quite a lot of money really. But they are nice :p

Meanwhile, I bought these and will test them out tonight and give you my verdict. It's a tough job but someone's got to be the guinea pig. :D

oZ2mC.jpg

See that, a tootsie roll. I'm sure I've heard a gangster offer one of those to someone in a movie before.

Soldato
OP
Verdict:

Tootsie roll : garbage. Very chewy chocolatey..er.. I don't know what.
Cookie Dough bites: crap. Was really expecting these to be nice, very disappointing.
Hershey bar : Decent. Best of the lot, quite nice (well,by comparison to the above two at least) but not a patch on anything UK produces.

Soldato
Yeah Hersheys has a terrible aftertaste that I really dislike. Apparantly its down to the way its made that makes it so bitter.

My God Hersheys? Really?

It's got to be the worst chocolate i've ever tasted, tastes so artificial and greasy I actually spat it out. And that's saying something because I practically will eat anything sweet.

yeah that's not real chocolate I was surprised how bad it was when I tried it when I was over there.
I loved peanut butter M&M's though, pity they don't sell them

It's the PGPR they put in it to replace the cocoa butter that they remove and sell to the cosmetic industry as they can get more money for it.

MW

Last edited:

Lew

Lew

Associate
Well, they're at my local Tesco in my high street which they call a superstore but in fact, it's not one of the big ones, it's a very average sized store. I just drove to another one near me which is massive and called Tesco Extra but they've got absolutely no USA stuff there which surprised me.

Thanks will have a drive to the Tesco Extra store as my local doesn't have any.

Always fancied trying some of these products :)

Soldato
Verdict:

Tootsie roll : garbage. Very chewy chocolatey..er.. I don't know what.
Cookie Dough bites: crap. Was really expecting these to be nice, very disappointing.
Hershey bar : Decent. Best of the lot, quite nice (well,by comparison to the above two at least) but not a patch on anything UK produces.

I've never tried Tootsie rolls. I've had a few varieties of the cookie dough bites. Like you I wasn't keen on the peanut butter ones. The red velvet cupcake bites or the cinnamon bun bites were much better.

Peanut butter twixes are really nice if you can get them there. Baby Ruths are pretty decent. I prefer fruity candies over chocolate ones though. You should try the Wonka Runts.

Associate
Got to agree with the Herschey's comments...that stuff is vile. And grits? Who in their right mind is going to buy them over here?

Stuck in a Greyhound bus in the states, I decided to "treat" myself to an individual Hostess Cherry Pie from one of the many truck stops. The ingredient list was quite illuminating:
Corn flour
Corn starch
Corn sugar
Corn fructose
Corn oil
The whole thing seemed to be constructed entirely from corn - the one thing that wasn't mentioned at all was...cherries!

Back
Top Bottom