Test Drive Unlimited 3 is officially being made :)

Soldato
Hope they don't mess it up.

TBH though I'd like to just see TDU2 but with physics upgrade, graphics upgrade and some tweaks to things like character movement and ability to do stuff outside the car (some of it is a bit clunky) and add some extra content to the existing game because it is still an amazing base for a game with the amount of world detail, etc.

While it isn't a visual tour de force so to speak I'm still amazed sometimes at the attention to detail graphically even today - so many little touches that are missing from other games that lift it to another level.

There is a certain "factor" to TDU2 that IMO is highly unlikely to be replicated.
TDU2 for me is unplayable, randomly freezes/unstable, unlike TDU1.

For me the most important would be stability and normal support for gamepad and keyboard, and a less clunky UI.

Soldato
Just gave it a quick go, had a few test drives:

It's not too bad the demo; cars feel nice to control/drive. Which is a big plus. Environment looks great at a first glance as well. Audio quality feels a bit meh (not very immersive, I've tried on both my Z5500's pc speakers as well as on my home cinema).
Gfx are nice but nothing special.

Again a messy ****** ui, it's my biggest pet peeve with modern (racing) games; unclear menu structure and UI, it took me a while to find the tiny ''settings'' icon on the bottom right. Default gfx settings had FSR on instead of DLSS ( I have a 4080S)m why? Frame generation also makes the game quite unresponsive and I can't pick Nvidia Reflex low latency in combination with DLSS Frame gen, I think I can in other games...

Also logging on on starting the game, if I wanted to fill out forms and make accounts I would go to work grrrr....
All of the racing games have absolutely ****** UI's: NFS Heat, Forza Horizon 4, now this, how hard is it to just recreate a UI like NFSU2? Simply clear navigation, no looking for what you want to do, responsive, and uncluttered.
And online features, ughhh, **** online, yes multiplayer should be in, but the focus should be single player: Start game: intro: pick car: drive/race. No logging in, no terms and conditions **** etc...

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Man this sucks cack!

Frametimes throw a fit just by turning around, and that's with a controller LMAO :cry:

For 60fps on a 4090 you need to be using upscaling too, and it default to FSR... DLSS Quality just managed to hover in the mid 60s often enough. Frame Gen lobs that fps to triple figures but it still feels like its choppy because of the frametimes.

There's zero charm in the visuals either, the cars handle enough and I can see myself adjusting to the style of physics and being able to hustle cars around corners like I do now in Cyberpunk, but everything else is just total trash.

Look at those metrics :o

Soldato
I think the graphics stuff needs finetuning, but don't find it that bad honestly :p.My problem is more with the general UI. The ''farthest'' tail camera also seems a little bit to close for me imho aswell.

The car handling is decent, not perfect, but certainly decent enough, funny you mention Cyberpunk where cars handle a bit ****** :).

And I guess my standards are lower, it dodn't feel choppy for me even with lower framerates (no Frame gen means 40 ish fps for me, as I use DLAA as DLSS setting :p.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
TDU2 for me is unplayable, randomly freezes/unstable, unlike TDU1.

For me the most important would be stability and normal support for gamepad and keyboard, and a less clunky UI.

There are known issues and fixes for RTX cards, I've never had issues like that when I played it on older hardware, ran smoothly rarely crashed aside from very occasionally on zooming the map screen.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
funny you mention Cyberpunk where cars handle a bit ****** :).
Only if you're an out of the box boy who doesn't drive around in better cars and mods that furtehr improve car handling. Also car handling out of the box is much better sinc ethe 2.x updates anyway in Cyberpunk. Also, skill issue :p

Soldato
an out of the box boy who doesn't drive around in better cars and mods that furtehr improve car handling.
I want to start a game and play, don't have time/motivation to faff about with mods. Used to swim in the time but I am getting into my mid 30's now...

Ideally: Start game > Load game > play, nowt more :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
gave this a go last night, ran faultlessly for me 3440x1440 ultra settings was 40-55fps.

Handling does need some work but overall it plays ok and looks pretty nice. Think with some polish it has legs :)

Soldato
It depends on how spoiled gamers are :D.
On purpose I ever got a screen over 60 hz, as I remember the shock 4k was to performance. The problem is once you're used to that you can't go lower, especially for desktop use.

I am sure that when I get used to 100/120 hz, I can't go back to 60, but I try to prolong that moment as long as possible :D. I went the other direction, been using 4k 43'' for ages on my desktop and mostly stream 4k to the Shield Pro on a 75'' TV :D.

But If I never made the step from 1080p to 4k i'd be happy with 1440p now and a 4070Ti instead of sploshing a grand on a 4080 :(.

So yeah, my advice to gamers is to stay at 1080p and 60 hz as long as possible, that was 60 fps is enough and even 45+ feels ok!

It's a huge step if you compare to the console peasants, especially the ps2/ps3 era, damn 720p is a low res and damn games run rubbish on those framerate wise :D. I fired up a ps2 last year and played a good few hrs, but performance was quite rubbish, let alone the poor resolution: almost unplyable for me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The seeming lack of ability to invert vertical mouse axis in freelook isn't inspiring... and controls/input aside from driving is very heavy focussed around controller input without enough effort to implement the best PC can do. On the flip side it actually handles quite well driving on keyboard controls - better than most games in fact - makes CP2077 look very poor in that respect.

Overall doesn't seem too bad, interface could do with some optimising for usability, graphically hopefully a work in progress - with everything set as high as possible looks OK but some higher resolution textures, etc. wouldn't go amiss and the built up areas look very generic and samey. Performance was OK and in the short time I played I didn't actually notice any hitches or stutter - but then I was running it on a 14700K and 4080 Super at 1440p so you'd hope so. For some reason it seemed to like sticking at 78 FPS outside and 111FPS inside without much change around that and altering graphic settings didn't change that much.

The driving model seems OK if a little floaty, feeling of speed seems fairly good, only thing I'd criticise was brakes felt ineffective - but maybe they've forced the extremes of it to make upgrades, etc. have more of an effect.

Man of Honour
One thing I miss from TDU1 and 2 so far, albeit I've not played much of this yet, those games everywhere pretty much was unique and memorable even built up areas, you knew pretty much instantly where you were if you'd been there before. So far in the demo it all feels a bit the same without the same landmarks, etc. of 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are known issues and fixes for RTX cards, I've never had issues like that when I played it on older hardware, ran smoothly rarely crashed aside from very occasionally on zooming the map screen.

As an aside - I found TDU2 seems to work fine in window mode on Windows 11 with an RTX card, sometimes the map screen takes 10-30 seconds to start working properly especially the first time you open it but doesn't just go black like fullscreen mode does and/or crash.

I tried the alternative d3d9 dlls and other renderer hooks/replacements/wrappers but they all seemed to cause as many issues with the game as they fixed.

Back
Top Bottom