*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I never get DOMs :(

I obviously don't work hard enough then !:(

I find its pretty random, don't worry about it. I find I get more DOMs after a crap session (ie no progression, or weaker than previous week) whereas this Saturday I did an extra chest sesh because I was bored, PR'd flat and decline but can barely feel it today. feelsweirdman.

Man of Honour
DOMS tend to come from more exhausting higher rep work, especially if you haven't worked those muscles in that way for a while (hence my current pain).

So if you've NEVER had DOMS, then yeah, you probably could do a little more work ;)

Soldato
cheers Chris1712 :)

I did completely conk out on the settee after lunch today - morning went swimming with the family - let them go to shops for an hour afterwards while I did an hour of chest/arms in the gym. Had lunch - laid down on settee in front ofTV and within 10 mins I was asleep. woke up 40 mins later like I'd woken up after being knocked out lol ! - like I'd been out for the count lol!

I'm preferring the flat chest press (manual one where you have to clip in/out) than the incline press I've been using previously- not sure why but I seem to push myself much harder on the flat one -the fact that you have to push it up to get back clipped in is a good method of ensuring you make all effort to get it back up ! The other day I pushed 1 rep too much....and I ended up having to clip it in about 1 inch aove my chest hard to do some wrangling to get out - rest - get back in and reset it lol !

up to 4-5 reps of 85kg on incline, but on flat its only 70kg or so - but gradually working up

just did an 8k run so its been a hard day exercise wise

<edit> ICEcold I've just seen your post - I did low rep high weight so perhaps thats why - so for instance on flat bench it was

4x70
4x70
4x70
5x60 (10 sets)

as an aside - my 2xreps of single concentrated 24kg arm curls seem to be paying dividends now - still 2 reps is VERY difficult - but 22kg curls now seem FAR easier than they did 2weeks ago -so its definately working

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It sounds like you're using a smith machine for bench. Ideally you should use a proper free bench, a smith will restrict your movement. Also, you can't really compare weights between machines, free weights, and smiths. Machines have vastly varying resistances for a given weight and with smiths you never really know how much the bar weighs.

Out of interest, why are you concerned about how much you can bicep curl? I ask because 1) strength is not a great measure of how well your doing in increasing size, and 2) the strength of your bicep is more or less irrelevant in terms of overall strength - as in, the only thing having strong biceps is really good for is bicep curling.

If you're primarily training for size or aesthetic reasons then that's fine, but you should still only really be working small muscles like your biceps as accessories to the bigger muscles of your back, legs and chest. These are what give you a good shape, people who just train their biceps (or put too much emphasis on their biceps) and up looking very silly quite quickly.

Soldato
icecold thanks - I do the biceps work as "resters" between the larger body item exercises - like pull-ups, benchpress etc etc

I find after a set of biceps or whatever other small muscle group workout I'm rested enough for the next set of larger muscle group exercises

that way I never have any down time - I'm constantly exercising during the workout - no gaps as such

if that makes any sense

I will try completely free benchpressing - and you are right re resistance of different machines etc

dod

dod

Soldato
more leg work, it's by far the most enjoyable exercise :)

Squats
8X60kG
5X8X80kG
12X60kG

Deadlift
3X8X80kg

Then barbell compounds, with just the barbell this time, they certainly get a sweat on :)

Man of Honour
There are plenty of better exercises you could do while you recuperate. Also, I really wouldn't work my biceps in between pullup sets because you'll just have your biceps failing before your back, thus robbing your back of a workout.

It tends to be very tempting to work your biceps as a beginner because they are "obvious", don't fall into that trap :)

If you don't want any rests, look into supersetting opposing muscle groups. For example, do some flat bench and then some bent over rows straight away with no rest.

Soldato
There are plenty of better exercises you could do while you recuperate. Also, I really wouldn't work my biceps in between pullup sets because you'll just have your biceps failing before your back, thus robbing your back of a workout.

It tends to be very tempting to work your biceps as a beginner because they are "obvious", don't fall into that trap :)

If you don't want any rests, look into supersetting opposing muscle groups. For example, do some flat bench and then some bent over rows straight away with no rest.

cheers for the tips - will try that - although I try and keep back to my "other day" if that makes sense - so how do you fit that in if say you do chest /front of arms one day - and back/shoulders/triceps etc the other ?

or hsould I ditch the concentrated curls and do more pull-ups ? currently I manage around 9 sets of 8-10 pull-ups - I find them quite easy so I should get a weight belt- but they look quite unweidly

Man of Honour
currently I manage around 9 sets of 8-10 pull-ups - I find them quite easy so I should get a weight belt- but they look quite unweidly

Is that palms facing away from you, from full hanging to your chin high above the bar?

9 sets :eek:

Also, I think triceps, shoulders and chest all go naturally on one day because when you are doing chest and shoulder exercises you will also be working your triceps.

Likewise, back and biceps seem to go together for the same reason.

Well, that's what I do anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nitefly - palms facing forward- full hanging to chin above bar

palms backward its 6-8 sets of 6 reps (I vary a bit wider grip for delts/lats, narrower for more towards chest

re which exercises on which days - thanks - it seems I'm in need of some re-scheduling/planning

I'll book in with one of the guys I trust in the gym (gym instructor wise) and plan out better what I'm doing

I've also started doing these - no idea what they're called - but go to 3:05 in this video

they really work out the arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCsYuFTNqo

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nitefly - palms facing forward- full hanging to chin above bar

palms backward its 6-8 sets of 6 reps

I have to say, that's quite unusual that you can do more pull ups than chin ups...!

Good stuff anyway :)

Also, people have loads of variations on routines - I just suggested what I'm doing, which is any sort of golden rule. Maybe wait for a few more responses and make a decision :)

Soldato
Nitfely - no no - its very useful guidance - and much appreciated :)

wait a minute I find chin-ups easier than pull ups I think not the other way round like you've said

probably all those biceps curls - lol - as chin-ups use biceps more than pull ups ?

it helps I only weigh 62kg - so makes power to weight ratio easier to be advantegous when it comes to body weight exercises - its a bit of a cheat I suppose

Man of Honour
probably all those biceps curls - lol - as chin-ups use biceps more than pull ups?

it helps I only weigh 62kg - so makes power to weight ratio easier to be advantegous when it comes to body weight exercises - its a bit of a cheat I suppose

I think that pull ups put more emphasis on your lats, yes.

Yeah, being lighter does help a lot, I've got much better recently, probably partly due to that reason :)

Soldato
Finished my HST cycle last week, so got a week off before a weeks rest. Going to hit the heavy deadlifts for the first time in 6 weeks then hammer some pull ups and the rest of my back work out, along side my first bicep isolation work in 6 weeks!

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom