*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I still think for some reason though that they only moaned at me, and they wont moan at smaller people, not trying to be arrogant, but thats what I think.

You have the funniest, most warped body image in OcUK judging by pics you've posted. I often dont wether to laugh or cry.

re: Your deadlift situation, act more polite and not an arrogant pain and ask if they have some more matting.

Soldato
You have the funniest, most warped body image in OcUK judging by pics you've posted. I often dont wether to laugh or cry.

re: Your deadlift situation, act more polite and not an arrogant pain and ask if they have some more matting.

Not sure what you mean about "most warped body image" I remember though ages ago in this thread you lot saying the same thing...but maybe its my choice of words, maybe you dont understand what I mean, I consider myself big, not in the bodybuilder sense, I am the biggest guy in my gym, everyone else is like 5 foot whatever and weighs like 12 stone or something daft...I'm 18 stone and 6 foot 3...when I walk to shops or go to gym or on a night out, people say to me "are you a power lifter?" "are you a boxer?" "are you a rugby player?" whenever people see me in my daily life, even when I'm walking down the street or walking round town, people comment...so I think if everyone says that to me, then it's only normal that I get the impression that I am big to other people, compared to others around me, and from their point of view.

I think when you guys in this thread hear me say that though, you take it as me saying I'm some sort of godlike bodybuilder, and thats not what I'm saying at all, but I think thats something to do with your own issues not mine.

I still consider myself as fat because I'm probably still around 20% bodyfat even though I've probably lost well over 6 stone.

EDIT: I have actually been cutting since 29th april 2011, I'm doing a really long cut, thinking of going to end of year and then bulking from 1st january onwards, trying my best to get to 17 stone, I took progress pictures in april and I'm going to take some more again in september and then again in december, I'll post em up at the end of the year, I've lost 28.6 pounds since 29th april this year. Also I feel like I've put on a little bit of size and starting to see more veins especially in my arms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must say...I've not actually seen any of his pics :o

Without wanting to put too much fuel in the fire and have Scotchegg tell me I wouldn't talk like this to him in real life, it's not 6'3 250lbs like this:

14816-vernondavis.jpg

It's 6'3 250lbs like:

progress5.jpg

So...

I'm not ripping on him, I don't look like Vernon Davis either, but SKscotchegg does have a slightly... misplaced attitude about his size.

Soldato
It is, yes, but he weighed 260lbs at the time, and he says he's 250lbs now.

Again I'm not trying to take the **** out of him or set up some internet mockery, but he's just a tall lad with a broad build - yet on this forum he acts a bit like a combination of Schwarzenegger and Terry Hollands and this kind of attitude (the attitude that causes him to write 500 word posts in reply to ones like this one) is probably causing problems at the gym.

Permabanned
lol, erm, your doctor kind of has the right idea, but no that won't help at all :D

Fear not, there is plenty you can do.

Have in look in this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18268152
...in fact I've just made a post about thoracic spine and shoulder stuff stuff.

I'll post some more stuff for your shoulders, but I'll have to look into your pelvic tilt.

Hi there mate, would I be able to commission me a workout to help sort out my posture? What sort of time scale will it take to correct this problem? Are we talking days/weeks/months or years :)eek:).

Really want to sort myself out.

Regards

Man of Honour
You're looking at months, so it's not that bad.

I don't have a huge amount of spare time at the moment but I put something together for you at some point.

Job number one would be to go to a professional sports therapist/osteopath about your pelvic tilt.

For now, buy the items I list in the mobility thread and try and do one of the videos here www.mobilitywod.com every day (start from the beginning). Make that your bible, as it will make it far easier for me to explain things to you if you have a foundational knowledge.

Caporegime
Man, I hate my body...Right leg is jaffing up, probably the running warmup I do :(

Knee is a bit odd, along with my upper shin, give up sometimes!!!! :p Was hoping squats etc would strenghten it somewhat, but noooooo

Associate
Ok, using the smith machine for squats is not doing me any favours, and after doing some reading it seems there is no safe technique. Put your feet beneath the bar and it will stress your knees and force you into an awkward position, put your feet in front of the bar and it forces you to round your lower back, I can vouch for this as I have been getting a sore lower back.

So, my question is, what other exercises can I do in place of squats?

My gym doesn't have a cage, but does have a leg press machine.

Caporegime
Ok, using the smith machine for squats is not doing me any favours, and after doing some reading it seems there is no safe technique. Put your feet beneath the bar and it will stress your knees and force you into an awkward position, put your feet in front of the bar and it forces you to round your lower back, I can vouch for this as I have been getting a sore lower back.

So, my question is, what other exercises can I do in place of squats?

My gym doesn't have a cage, but does have a leg press machine.

....Squats? :p

Does it have a rack of any kind? For Bench? Possible to use that in some instances, otherwise throw some DB squats in if anything

Associate
....Squats? :p

Does it have a rack of any kind? For Bench? Possible to use that in some instances, otherwise throw some DB squats in if anything

Nope, no rack nor cage of any description, shocking I know. The only place to do barbell bench presses is on the smith, I've stopped benching with it now and just use dumbbells.

Don't think that dumbbell squats will do me any good as the largest is 30kg and I'm squatting 77.5kg, I think the best solution is to find a better gym. But in the meantime what can I do?
I already do some lunges, how effective is the leg press in comparison to squats?

Caporegime
Nope, no rack nor cage of any description, shocking I know. The only place to do barbell bench presses is on the smith, I've stopped benching with it now and just use dumbbells.

Don't think that dumbbell squats will do me any good as the largest is 30kg and I'm squatting 77.5kg, I think the best solution is to find a better gym. But in the meantime what can I do?
I already do some lunges, how effective is the leg press in comparison to squats?

Well it's an entirely different exercise really, and you will be leg pressing more than you are squatting, so by all means do them until you can move gyms, as its better to work the legs than not to work the legs.

You can still do DB work on the legs, just do slow reps for instance, again, better than nothing.

Permabanned
Without wanting to put too much fuel in the fire and have Scotchegg tell me I wouldn't talk like this to him in real life, it's not 6'3 250lbs like this:

It's 6'3 250lbs like:

So...

I'm not ripping on him, I don't look like Vernon Davis either, but SKscotchegg does have a slightly... misplaced attitude about his size.

Lets not witch hunt fellas, we all have body image problems, like it or not thats almost certainly why most of you are here, combination of narcissism and poor self image.

Scotch needs to cut the bodyfat thats all, ive been seriously cutting the last 2 months and its starting to make a real difference, biggest difference i've ever seen. Almost no one comments on my size anymore out and about (always used to get the comments "are you a boxer/powerlifter/rugby player) but im still 17.5 st. I think i too was a touch dillusiuonal about my size, cutting has gotten me some perspective.

6 weeks to go for pics im nervous now lol

Soldato
It is, yes, but he weighed 260lbs at the time, and he says he's 250lbs now.

Again I'm not trying to take the **** out of him or set up some internet mockery, but he's just a tall lad with a broad build - yet on this forum he acts a bit like a combination of Schwarzenegger and Terry Hollands and this kind of attitude (the attitude that causes him to write 500 word posts in reply to ones like this one) is probably causing problems at the gym.

I've got three things to say to that, one, I've never made myself out to have an amazing body in this thread, I've referred to myself as big and at other times mentioned that I'm fat because I'm around 20% bodyfat and still have a stomach to get rid of. And I've never had any problems at my gym, I get on with all the regular members and all of the staff, my gym is huge and they must have over 20 members of staff and I reckon I talk to almost all of them, and they're usually sorted with me, it was just this one incident. Also my weight has gone up and down a lot over years, I went back up to 128.6kg at of 29th april 2011 after bulking on high carbs, I did feel I put on some size but also a lot of fat, but now I've decided to just cut and to stick to low carb diet until all the fat has gone once and for all, so from 29th april 2011 I've gone from 128.6kg to 115.9kg.

Also you wrote my name wrong, lol, its SkScotchegg, thankyou!:p

I've been keeping record in a sticky note on desktop of my weight:

Fri 29th April 2011 = Starting Weight = 128.6kg / 279.1lbs

Weds 4th may = 125.6kg

Sat 7th may = 123.12kg

wed 11th may = 124.6kg

Tues 24th may = 123.6kg

Sunday 5th june = 122.9kg

Friday 10th june = 122.2kg

Tuesday 14th june = 121.6kg

Monday 20th june = 120.6kg

Thursday 30th june = 119.11kg

Monday 4th july = 118.4kg

Wednesday 13th july = 119.10

Monday 18th July = 118kg

Wedesnday 20th july = 116.8kg

Tuesday 16th August = 115.9kg

I'm trying to get to 17st and 17st is about 108kg so I believe I can get their in next few months depending on if I hit any walls or it slows down, I wasnt doing any cardio at first but I've started doing cardio in past 3 weeks, slowly introducing it again, just trying to do 30 mins 4 times a week.

I dont know what you guys think when I say words like "because I'm big" you take it as me saying "because I have an amazing body and best bodybuilder in world"...I think thats a little bit strange, what gives? :confused:

EDIT: I just uploaded two new pics in pics section = http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17895672&page=174 but they from 29th april 2011 and at the end of a bulk so obviously high fat and water retention. I'm going to upload more maybe next month as I dont have any since I started cutting and I've lost a lot of weight recently, need to lend digital camera off my friend again.

Last edited:
Permabanned
You're looking at months, so it's not that bad.

I don't have a huge amount of spare time at the moment but I put something together for you at some point.

Job number one would be to go to a professional sports therapist/osteopath about your pelvic tilt.

For now, buy the items I list in the mobility thread and try and do one of the videos here www.mobilitywod.com every day (start from the beginning). Make that your bible, as it will make it far easier for me to explain things to you if you have a foundational knowledge.

Sorry mate, didn't realise you were busy. Please don't worry about it, I know what it's like to have the pressures of work! I'm going to go see the doctor again and try and get her to see the issue and hopefully recommend me to see someone.

I'll definitely check out the thread in the meantime.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated..

Soldato
I've got three things to say to that, one, I've never made myself out to have an amazing body in this thread, I've referred to myself as big and at other times mentioned that I'm fat because I'm around 20% bodyfat and still have a stomach to get rid of. And I've never had any problems at my gym, I get on with all the regular members and all of the staff, my gym is huge and they must have over 20 members of staff and I reckon I talk to almost all of them, and they're usually sorted with me, it was just this one incident. Also my weight has gone up and down a lot over years, I went back up to 128.6kg at of 29th april 2011 after bulking on high carbs, I did feel I put on some size but also a lot of fat, but now I've decided to just cut and to stick to low carb diet until all the fat has gone once and for all, so from 29th april 2011 I've gone from 128.6kg to 115.9kg.

Also you wrote my name wrong, lol, its SkScotchegg, thankyou!:p

I've been keeping record in a sticky note on desktop of my weight:

I'm trying to get to 17st and 17st is about 108kg so I believe I can get their in next few months depending on if I hit any walls or it slows down, I wasnt doing any cardio at first but I've started doing cardio in past 3 weeks, slowly introducing it again, just trying to do 30 mins 4 times a week.

I dont know what you guys think when I say words like "because I'm big" you take it as me saying "because I have an amazing body and best bodybuilder in world"...I think thats a little bit strange, what gives? :confused:

EDIT: I just uploaded two new pics in pics section = http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17895672&page=174 but they from 29th april 2011 and at the end of a bulk so obviously high fat and water retention. I'm going to upload more maybe next month as I dont have any since I started cutting and I've lost a lot of weight recently, need to lend digital camera off my friend again.

Looking at those pics, you've made massive improvements, big thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom